Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger SFAR (Small frame AR in .308)

Ruger SFAR (Small frame AR in .308)

If I'm understanding this right, it's basically an AR15 with an extended magwell to accommodate the .308 cartridge instead of being an AR10. I think POF or somebody already did this but you don't hear anything about it anywhere. Lightweight semi-auto .308 for $1200 MSRP, might make a good semi-auto hunting rifle that takes common mags but maybe not a full-on battle rifle.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/models.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

6.8 pounds -- if this is reliable, I would love to have one for a walking around rifle in AK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Price is right, too.

No kidding, $1200 is an incredible deal on a small frame .308- that said- do we know what parts are AR-15-common, what parts are Ruger-specific, and what parts might be large-frame-particular?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    First gun I've been tempted by in a while.

Chris

I wonder when the small frame .308 Win AR will actually take off, and if there's any inherent short comings to the idea, since the likes of H&K, KAC, DD, and LMT have all stuck with the large frame format. DPMS/RemDef, Savage, Adams Arms, and POF have tried it, and they never really seem to have taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    6.8 pounds -- if this is reliable, I would love to have one for a walking around rifle in AK.
    Have you seen the F4 Defense small frame? https://www.f4defense.com/product/f4-nighthawk/

Vending Machine Operator
    I just read about this one, I don't own a .308 yet and I've had good luck with Ruger, so count me in the "very interested" column.

As has been alluded to, I imagine it will not share all that much parts commonality with either AR-10s or AR-15s, so customization and parts options may be limited versus a standard AR-10 or AR-15, but Ruger is pretty solid about taking care of their stuff if it breaks.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I was telling my wife about this and after she said "another AR?", she relented and said I should get it.

Crap. Now I need $1200. Anyone want to buy a surly teenager?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    surly teenager?
    That’s redundant.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Curious to see if the barrel and bolt follow an existing pattern.

Also curious about the inevitable 6.5CM version.

User Tag List