Thread: Ruger SFAR

Ruger SFAR

Over the past several years there have been a number of manufacturers who've attempted to make a .223 into a .308 and I've grown cautious, but the idea remains appealing. Does anbody have a Ruger SFAR and would care to report on the carbine?

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I missed that, George.
    Thank you.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Sfar

I’m over a thousand rounds with mine. Runs well. I replaced the idiotic handguard with a short one that exposes the gas block mostly. Epoxied it in place since the screws wouldn’t hold it with a Burris 2.75 scout scope in place. It is a handy rifle with a great trigger. Nicely accurate. P mags work perfectly. My only issue is the double ejectors beat up the brass. I’ve read that changing to an H2 buffer will help that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    I’m over a thousand rounds with mine. Runs well. I replaced the idiotic handguard with a short one that exposes the gas block mostly. Epoxied it in place since the screws wouldn’t hold it with a Burris 2.75 scout scope in place. It is a handy rifle with a great trigger. Nicely accurate. P mags work perfectly. My only issue is the double ejectors beat up the brass. I’ve read that changing to an H2 buffer will help that.
    Thanks for that report- you seem to have more rounds through it than other users here.
    Please consider reporting this in the thread @GJM mentioned above, too.

I just got an email from Ruger announcing a 6.5 Creed version of the SFAR - not sure if this is old news.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5612.html
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Minor anecdote.

I was able to shoot one a couple of weeks ago...about 7 rounds. The rifle wasn't overly heavy, and recoil was milder than I was anticipating. It was experiencing feeding issues. Owner said it was about 80-ish rounds in, and he wanted to put about 200 through it before he futzed with anything.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Minor anecdote.

I was able to shoot one a couple of weeks ago...about 7 rounds. The rifle wasn't overly heavy, and recoil was milder than I was anticipating. It was experiencing feeding issues. Owner said it was about 80-ish rounds in, and he wanted to put about 200 through it before he futzed with anything.
    If he got it when they first came out he might need an updated gas regulator. Ruger will send one out if he calls. It is cheaper than running 200 rounds through it and finding you still have problems.

User Tag List