Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber optic front + blacked out rear = not good for me

Fiber optic front + blacked out rear = not good for me

I have a number of guns with fiber optic fronts + blacked out rear sights (FO+BR). In theory, I love the setup. And when I shoot slowly and take my time aiming, I shoot them just fine.

However, I've recently discovered that when shooting fast I am significantly worse with FO+BR than I am with my other pistols. I think what is that, when rushed, my brain wants to align the fiber optic with the top of the rear sights (rather than aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight). I know not to do this, but when moving quickly my brain does the wrong thing.

Some observations are that:
    • Narrow front sights with FO are the worst because it's hard to pick up the top of the front sight. It's super small and washed out by the glowing optic.
    • Some form of 3-dot setup eliminates this issue for me, even if the rear dots are faint (like on the P365XL) because my brain will align them with the front circle.

Am I the only one to not shoot FO+BR well? I know a lot of people swear by this setup.

If not equipped with a red dot I actually prefer that setup with a very thin front sight and narrow rear sight. It works for me whether shooting faster strings of fire or bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I have a number of guns with fiber optic fronts + blacked out rear sights (FO+BR). In theory, I love the setup. And when I shoot slowly and take my time aiming, I shoot them just fine.

However, I've recently discovered that when shooting fast I am significantly worse with FO+BR than I am with my other pistols. I think what is that, when rushed, my brain wants to align the fiber optic with the top of the rear sights (rather than aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight). I know not to do this, but when moving quickly my brain does the wrong thing.

Some observations are that:
    • Narrow front sights with FO are the worst because it's hard to pick up the top of the front sight. It's super small and washed out by the glowing optic.
    • Some form of 3-dot setup eliminates this issue for me, even if the rear dots are faint (like on the P365XL) because my brain will align them with the front circle.

Am I the only one to not shoot FO+BR well? I know a lot of people swear by this setup.
    In as much as I loved this very setup, I had the very same issue.
    Dove head first into the dot world.
    Target focus, instead of sight focusing seems to help my old eyes.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Try darkening the fiber rod with a Sharpie. I can’t remember where I first heard this, it was Stoeger or Vogel I believe . If the dot is dimmer, it doesn’t bloom as much but is still visible for fast work.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Try darkening the fiber rod with a Sharpie. I can’t remember where I first heard this, it was Stoeger or Vogel I believe . If the dot is dimmer, it doesn’t bloom as much but is still visible for fast work.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. The one I have the most trouble with is a green FO. I'll try going back to red to see if it helps.

It's still interesting though that it's odd to draw your eye at all to a part of the sight that isn't where you need to be focusing.

Although it’s a widely used and suggested setup, with my vision I subconsciously ignored the rear irons and those need as much respect as the front.

I found my happiness with fiber fronts and fiber rears - I can subconsciously verify alignment and visually processing comes more naturally. I could tell a longer story but that’s the gist of it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Although it’s a widely used and suggested setup, with my vision I subconsciously ignored the rear irons and those need as much respect as the front.

I found my happiness with fiber fronts and fiber rears - I can subconsciously verify alignment and visually processing comes more naturally. I could tell a longer story but that’s the gist of it.
    Right. I might be in the exact same camp. I'm going to explore different combinations and see what works for me.

I preferred sights with rear dots or lines for years, but my vision got to the point that the rear was a confusing blurry mess. I switched to a high viz front with plain (serrated) black rear, and it works much better for me at speed. But I agree with @CSW, RDS is the answer.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 09-06-2022 at 11:58 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I and most of my area's reactionary iron sight shooters use FO front, black rear, but one friend is adamant that nothing will do but FO fore and aft. And she shoots better with it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I tried different colors, blackening with the sharpie, black front.... Nothing worked.
    My P6 has red front fiber and rear greens.... Works..... Sometimes.

Honestly, my experience has been, with my eyes getting worse that the optic helped tremendously in finding the aiming point.
    Learning, or better, relearning a target focus is "different but do-able.
    Putting a piece of blue tape on the front lens of the dot really helps me see the target and dot.

I had even tried a night sight with the orange outline.... Nothing was helpful.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List