Thread: HD steel target suggestions needed.

HD steel target suggestions needed.

I need a target or two for the farm and have seen the steel fence post hangers. Are there any disadvantages to these hangers over other stands?

And I want to train for HD with my 9mm, so how many yards should I be at, and what size/thickness and material should I get so they last?

Thanks
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

I have this one https://www.xsteeltargets.com/collec...atic-8-blowout I really like it. I don’t know of any disadvantages I carry a fence post to the range with me so I have to pound it into the ground but it doesn’t fall over so I consider it a win. 10 yards pistol and 100 yards rifle is what i generally go by but I usually put it at 15+ yards for my pistols.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

If it's a permanent installation then you can get away with the fence post stuff. If you're going to move it, then there are a bunch of good options. For the lower end I like that stands that come with Defensetargets.com steel. They take a 2x4 for steel and will hold 1x2 uprights as well. Make sure you paint them since they come as raw metal and could use some barrier between them and the weather.

If all you're going to shoot with them is 9mm then you can get away with 1/4" AR-400. I'd recommend bumping up to 3/8" AR-500 as they will never, ever wear out.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    JDC uses a lot of steel from Red Stitch Targets.

We use basic silhouettes and custom designs ranging from handgun up to precision rifles shy of .338 Lapua. They've held up extremely well.

I'd recommend one of the designs that lets you use a 2x4 between the steel stand at the bottom and the target. They do a good job of stopping spall from coming back and tend to last a long time. You definitely want to use gloves when handling the 2x4, though.

Minimum safe distance we use for steel with handguns is 10 yards. Any closer than that and you start to get significant bullet fragment impacts that can be a real concern.

A couple of really good steel targets seem like they're expensive...at least until you experience the ginormous pain in the ass that dealing with bad steel targets turns out to be.
    3/15/2016

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If it was permanent I'd use the T-post hangers. But I have a bunch of these, since I made my own 2x4 stands. https://www.amazon.com/Highwild-2x4-...2476059&sr=8-5

10 yds should be safe for 9mm. Wear your glasses though. I've still had jackets come back and get me that close. Not an issue if you shoot Syntech (but wear glasses any time you shoot steel because small pieces of metal going 1000+ fps still does funny stuff).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post
    I need a target or two for the farm and have seen the steel fence post hangers. Are there any disadvantages to these hangers over other stands?

And I want to train for HD with my 9mm, so how many yards should I be at, and what size/thickness and material should I get so they last?

Thanks
    I personally have had good experiences with MGM, TA targets and ATR targets.

If you are going to (or might) shoot anything other than pistol get AR 550 rather than AR 500. I like to buy the best quality steel targets I can, to me they are a buy once cry once item.

There are some steel targets systems which use angles and moving targets to allow safe shooting at closer ranges.

Unless the target manufacturer says otherwise here is the minimum safe distances we use at work with generic steel targets:

Frangible pistol / frangible buckshot - 3 yards.

Regular Pistol and shotgun buckshot- 10 yards

Regular Shotgun slugs / frangible 5.56 rifle - 25 yards

Regular 5.56 - 50 yards.

I would avoid shooting green tip 556 ammo at steel targets.

I would also be aware that ammunition with mild steel jackets like some of the Eastern European Steelcase could cause a spark if you’re still target is out in an area with dry grass.

Site Supporter

HD steel target

I have had good luck with Challenge Targets & Shooting Targets 7. Both were delivered very quickl & both offer discounts at their sights often.

I bought three of these stands: https://www.amazon.com/Highwild-Targ...97&sr=8-7&th=1 and several of the same brand steel targets. I bought "A Zone" and "B-C Zone" targets only because I know that the bigger the target, the faster I'll shoot, without any training value because I'm just ringing steel.

The general rule of thumb when shooting steel with pistol cartridges is a minimum safe distance of 10 yards. When you reach the point where you can place multiple quick hits on one of those "A Zone" targets from 10 yards, you're starting to get somewhere, in my admitted biased opinion.

Thanks everyone..

After watching this video, I decided to order two 9”x15”x3/8” ar500 mini silhouette's with two T-Post hanger's. Because the spring bolts angle the targets down at the ground instead of a hook which allows the target to swing up, and ctstargets.com are just north of me in southern minnesota. Plus, there's a 15% off coupon "HarleyWood23"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKmNBaJKs6E
    Last edited by spazatak; 09-06-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

User Tag List