Thread: Can I rough up polished g10?

Can I rough up polished g10?

I got some polished g10 grips understanding that they were polished but hoping they felt more like VZs 320s.

Can I rough them up with some Emory cloth(with a mask of course)? Without ruining the look?Name:  IMG_20220829_000535.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Use a good respirator, and maybe get them wet first to contain/reduce the dust you really don’t want to breathe. Should be doable.

Do you think that would make it feel like 320s?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do you think that would make it feel like 320s?
    I haven’t tried any of those, so I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    If they are not rough enough, buy something that is. Ergo and Magpul 1911 grips/stocks can be had in the sub 20 range.

I am not sure it is worth the squeeze relative to the risks of breathing in G10 dust in the quest to get them “rough enough”

FWIW/YMMV
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-05-2022 at 08:02 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

@03RN, as @vcdgrips said the hazards of working with G10 isn’t worth it unless you have no other option. Like a knife you like that needs a scale mod. Roughing it up by sanding won’t work. You need to machine the roughness into the surface. Think dremel, wheel, or mill.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Alright, sounds like I might as well sell them. I've got checkered ivory g10 grips.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Alright, sounds like I might as well sell them. I've got checkered ivory g10 grips.
    I've ordered G10 knife scales from this dude in Lithuania: https://g10.lt

He does a great job, and his prices are reasonable. If you really like your grip panels, I bet he would machine them for you.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

One of the reasons I love G10 for knife scales is with an easy bead blast, the epoxy on the surface is pushed out leaving the underlying fiberglass figure exposed. Kind of like wood grain. It makes for a grippy texture without being harsh. G10 takes to blasting much better than the various Micartas, in my opinion.

For pistol grips, I like more texture. That said, find a buddy with a blasting cabinet and get him to blast them. Worst case, you aren't out anything.

User Tag List