Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Real World Use of Your EDC Carry Knife!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've realized that not everything I do requires a $200 blade. I recently got a Boker Catalyst and it's been more than adequate for office/home work. You get what you get for $40, and it's not a "good" knife, but like I said...adequate. I quite like it.

The problem with $200+ blades is they still aren't as good as $30 Home Depot hatchets for camp-grade chopping duties.

Knives are a passion of mine and life is too short to carry a cheap knife.

1) opening boxes, bills, and medical statements
    2) cutting lengths of polypro marine cord to make impromptu dog leashes for hikes and brew pub patios
    3) convincing a street skell who literally climbed into my Hyundai to extort money (with a partner standing lookout) that he had smaller fish to fry.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

Read World Use of Your EDC Carry Knife!

1. Cutting the harness of my son’s car seat when the latch would not release. The latch was later recalled by the maker for numerous similar events.

2. My son managed to wrap/tie/twist the ribbon forming the bow tie of a stuffed bear around his finger in a way that would not easily come off, and was cutting off his circulation. My daughter had made an unsuccessful attempt with scissors before my wife and I learned of the problem , costing us time. While my wife called 911, I carefully worked the tip of a Spyderco Delica between the ribbon and my son’s swelling finger. After about 5 minutes of slowly cutting the ribbon tiny bits at a time, the ribbon was off. EMT’s arrived and confirmed that everything was okay.

In the second incident, a typical “rescue” style blade would have been useless. I needed a narrow blade with a point to fit a tiny portion of the tip between the ribbon and the finger. This incident also gave me a strong preference for drop point or spear point blades rather than clip point.

I would argue that the Clinch Pick is a far more ideal rescue knife than most purpose-driven rescue knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Wow, so many different things its hard to pick a couple.

One that I don't see already mentioned is cutting a vehicle engine accessory belt. When we were young (mid '90s) my brother had a '79 Trans Am. He threw an accessory belt (power steering perhaps) which proceeded to get tangled around the non-electric fan killing the motor and leaving him on the side of the road. After getting a replacement from Napa my Spyderco quickly cut the old belt free from its tangle around the fan. The ease with which it did so, really sold me on the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    1. Cutting the harness of my son’s car seat when the latch would not release. The latch was later recalled by the maker for numerous similar events.

2. My son managed to wrap/tie/twist the ribbon forming the bow tie of a stuffed bear around his finger in a way that would not easily come off, and was cutting off his circulation. My daughter had made an unsuccessful attempt with scissors before my wife and I learned of the problem , costing us time. While my wife called 911, I carefully worked the tip of a Spyderco Delica between the ribbon and my son’s swelling finger. After about 5 minutes of slowly cutting the ribbon tiny bits at a time, the ribbon was off. EMT’s arrived and confirmed that everything was okay.

In the second incident, a typical “rescue” style blade would have been useless. I needed a narrow blade with a point to fit a tiny portion of the tip between the ribbon and the finger. This incident also gave me a strong preference for drop point or spear point blades rather than clip point.

I would argue that the Clinch Pick is a far more ideal rescue knife than most purpose-driven rescue knives.

Why not a clip point? I would have thought the small tip of a clip point would have worked well for that scenario (i think of clip points being better for delicate work but also more fragile). I'm probably wrong though if it left a lasting preference after the experience.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Why not a clip point? I would have thought the small tip of a clip point would have worked well for that scenario (i think of clip points being better for delicate work but also more fragile). I'm probably wrong though if it left a lasting preference after the experience.
    I had to get the point right up against my son’s finger. A drop point or spear point allows placing the back edge of the blade against the finger while the point is at least somewhat angled away from the finger. It would have been really hard to get a clip point where I needed the point without potentially driving the point into the finger.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Besides the normal stuff I recently had to open up a steel lock box with IM Ativan because another nurse forgot the keys while I was stabilizing a patient having a seizure.

It's a punishable offense to have a weapon on campus but I'd like to see them discipline me.

It was the Spyderco folder
    Name:  20210601_151334.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  101.1 KB

I mostly use my spensy Halloran Mini STX for gouging and probing rotten and termite damaged framing and my Yojimbo for opening bags and boxes.

User Tag List