Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real World Use of Your EDC Carry Knife!

Site Supporter

Real World Use of Your EDC Carry Knife!

Since it is raining and I am bored - a discussion of the most likely usage of your EDC carry knife. Mine is a Spyderco something.

1. The war against Amazon packages!
    2. Opening packages of food in those plastic envelopes that I can't pull open after 'tearing here'. Note wife cannot see this!
    3. Plumber is screwing with sump pump and needs to cut some foam tubing and can't find his utility knife, asks me if I have something. Smoothly deploy knife and scare him a bit. He asks - told him it was knife class.
    4. Given a talk to TX Bar on appearance issues. Sitting at the speakers table. Open my tableware package to eat my rubber chicken. No knife, would have to make a fuss to get one. Deploy knife.

Any other real world uses that suggest why the EDC knife is important!?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Cutting down people who have hanged themselves in an effort to save them. I’ve done that on at least 3 different occasions. 1 save. 2 were beyond helping.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Untangling my dog when she gets into vines and creepers while out for a walk.

Paring callouses.

Trimming bushes and shrubs.

Cutting twine for stacking cardboard.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    That's grim. Mine were a touch light hearted. That's a horrible situation!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Since it is raining and I am bored - a discussion of the most likely usage of your EDC carry knife. Mine is a Spyderco something.

1. The war against Amazon packages!
    2. Opening packages of food in those plastic envelopes that I can't pull open after 'tearing here'. Note wife cannot see this!
    3. Plumber is screwing with sump pump and needs to cut some foam tubing and can't find his utility knife, asks me if I have something. Smoothly deploy knife and scare him a bit. He asks - told him it was knife class.
    4. Given a talk to TX Bar on appearance issues. Sitting at the speakers table. Open my tableware package to eat my rubber chicken. No knife, would have to make a fuss to get one. Deploy knife.

I regularly have 1, 2, and similar experiences to 4.

My 3-type experience this year: We were on a 2 lane highway in rural Arizona this summer, and saw a big jackrabbit in the weeds on the edge of the other side of the road. I was driving and said to my daughter, riding shotgun, “Oh, look, a jackrabbit!” since we like to remark on wildlife we see.

Dumb rabbit took off at just that moment for freedom on the other side of the road.

It tried real hard, but it didn’t make it.

My daughter’s VW Beetle got over $3k dollars worth of damage to the front of the car. When I pulled off the road, the inner plastic components of the wheel well were rubbing on the tire, other components were dragging the ground, chunks of the plastic bumper skin and light covers were missing.

Stupid rabbit.

I used my Spyderco Stretch to remove various bits and large pieces of plastic that were impeding progress. Big cuts of heavy crap that I didn’t want to try to cut with a small slipjoint, SAK, or a Dragonfly, which were all the other cutlery in the car. I was very glad I’d decided to pack a large knife for the trip.

#5: I hate most pencil sharpeners. My pocketknife is usually far more effective.
    #6: I love to whittle and carve wood. Some of my regularly carried knives are specifically to enable that hobby: whittling patterns, Congress patterns, Mora Eldris, Case Texas Jack with a broken and re-profiled pen blade, etc.
    #7: I usually carry a small SAK, even if not carrying anything else, preferring the 73mm Executive. The scissors trim strings, stray annoying hairs, fingernails, package tags, etc. The fingernail file maintains my guitar playing fingernails, and has a narrow pointed tip that doubles as a Phillips driver. The fruit peeler has a narrow slot head screwdriver tip, opens packages, scrapes stuff, and also peels fruit. Tweezers do tweezer things, toothpick does toothpick things. Has two pen blades, which means that even though I have and love little pen knives, I usually don’t carry them because this one has more utility and makes the blades on most little pen knives redundant. This little knife gets used multiple times a day, whether sharpening a pencil or trimming a mustache hair or dealing with a rampant orange or … Most of my day-to-day knife uses can be dealt with by this little thing, which makes the knife roll kind of depressing to think about, because most of those knives aren’t really as versatile.
    #8: I regularly carry a standard size SAK. Similar reasons as the little one, but bigger and more capable of bigger things like food prep and eating, tearing apart a vacuum cleaner at church, reassembling the on/off/power connections, and putting it back together so it can be used to clean up the cracker crumbs in the nursery. Between whichever of the three full-sized SAKs I have and the Executive, I can get through most days. One of my SAKs has pliers that i use to pull thorns out of my dog’s pads when we are hiking or hunting. My daughter just asked me for that knife, so I ordered a tiny pair of Knipex pliers instead of a whole other SAK.
    #9: Roses and wildflowers overgrow my front walk. I usually whack off the offending foliage with whatever Spyderco is clipped to my back pocket, unless I’m deliberately out there to do yard work.

I usually am carrying 2-5 knives on my person, and possibly more in the car and work bag. It’s fun to have options.
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-05-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Cutting down people who have hanged themselves in an effort to save them. I’ve done that on at least 3 different occasions. 1 save. 2 were beyond helping.
    I have done that once. She made it. I was working at a mental hospital 25 years ago when that happened. Nurse’s scissors weren’t getting the ligature strands cut, so I stepped up and did it with my pocket knife.

I'm convinced the OAL of the clinch pick was determined by measuring the radius of various smoked Gouda wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I used to carry a Spyderco Rescue with the plastic clip. I cut a guy down in the jail who was trying to hang himself with the bedsheets. The serrated blade went right through it.

Where were you guys when Epstein didn't hang himself?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Got a rescue in the car. Don't carry it though. I've debate the EDC tool based instrument vs. the 'fighting' and cheese cutting blade.

BTW, I have a plastic cheese knife specifically for cheese in the kitchen drawer. Does a great job with all kinds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dreamfarm Knibble Lite | Non-Stick Cheese Knife with Stainless Steel Forks | Multi-Functional Kitchen Knife with Unique Ridged Blade

User Tag List