Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Real World Use of Your EDC Carry Knife!

Bleeding/coring fish and general boat stuff, I like the Spyderco Salt series for the LC200N steel and hi vis scales. Mine is showing signs of corrosion however it keeps a better edge than the H1 version I had previously used.

Name:  0F87AD6C-1C26-4D00-9028-0103085B929A.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  37.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Cute little family was ahead of us in line at the store: young mom and dad, and baby in the child seat of the basket. They’d gotten a little cuddle toy for the not-yet-walking baby, and she nearly pitched a fit when they took it to scan and pay for.

It was immediately returned to baby after scanning the tag - which she promptly chomped down on.

I asked mom if we should remove that tag before something got swallowed, showing my little Vic Executive scissors, and she grabbed that toy so fast and had the plastic tag ready to snip before she emphatically said, “Yes!”

They were so cute. I think mom and dad were students at my high school a few years ago.

How about the absence of my knife?
    I carried an old style integral plastic clipped Endura on duty for over 3 years. One day I somehow broke the clip and stopped carrying it.
    Not a week later I get a call on smoke coming from an outbuilding. I arrived quickly and found smoke pouring up from this shed. A drunk was staggering around the entrance screaming.
    I ran up to the front of the shed, the door of which was blazing, and found that the drunk's dog was tied up inside. I could see the dog inside the window and could reach him but...I had no knife.
    The drunk was trying to climb inside. I wrestled him away and his drunk wife came up. I sent her inside the house for a knife and went back to keeping the drunk from crawling inside to "die with my dog".
    She comes back with a...butter knife.
    "What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? Get me a KNIFE!"
    Back to the drunk.
    She finally comes back with a steak knife. Whatthefuckever, I'll make it work. I grab the dog's collar( a chain with a padlock, fer Christ's' sake) and saw(and saw) the fricking rope in two.
    Now I've got a new best friend trying to lick my face, so I push him towards his wife and check out the dog. Me and him both smell like smoke, but he's okay.
    Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Now I've got a new best friend trying to lick my face, so I push him towards his wife and check out the dog.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    That makes me sad and feel better that I'm not the only one all at the same time. I did the no brass no ammo check before I left the house and locked up my handgun but somehow forgot the pointy stabby thing. Didn't have time at the airport to do anything about it either.
    A trick I picked up ( from https://www.youtube.com/user/DeviantOllam/videos is to keep a preaddresed USPS flat rate envelope in your carry on for just such an emergency. I haven't had to make use of it yet, but my time will come.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Site Supporter
    TQP

Additionally/Alternatively

If you do not check baggage you can ship a package to yourself:

A. Where you are staying
    B. To a post office near where you are staying
    C. Via Amazon if it is new purchase to A or B
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

For years I carried a spear point Emerson CQC-7A clipped to the waistband of my jeans at about 5:30 o'clock. I lost one. I replaced it. I used it mostly to open mail and packages, and maybe cut some line with it.

After evaluating how I use my EDC knife, I replaced it with a Spyderco Ladybug, that I carry in the little change pocket of my jeans or a small pocket in my cargo shorts, and didn't miss a beat, except I lost one at the post office after I opened a package and left it on the countertop. I replaced it with the same model (British Racing Green). Over time I kept "losing" it, but not really. The British Racing Green color was practically camouflage. I bought a bright yellow one, and would occasionally misplace it too.

Then I decided the Ladybug was too small, which is why I kept misplacing it, so I got a bright yellow Spyderco Dragonfly (the next size up) and removed the wire clip. I've never misplaced it, but it was just a wee bit too large to comfortably carry in the little change pocket of my jeans, so I went back to the yellow Ladybug (which I haven't misplaced, so far).

As for the Emerson CQC-7A, it sits in the gunsafe with the tacticool Tanto point CQC-7B, with Wave feature, that I just had to have, something like 20 years ago, and I never carry.

The Ladybug has been a great EDC knife for me. It carries well in a change pocket. I'm not ever aware of it until I need to pull it out and use it. It's done everything I needed it to do as an EDC knife.

My CQC7 got lost in the surf on a beach in Maui. Fortunately I realized it right away and I was able to find in in the sand under my feet. It’s in my safe now.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

On patrol years ago, I was carrying a plastic clip Delica. It was spring and Walmart had their temporary greenhouse up. It was heavy sheet plastic over a metal frame. The wind picked up and I heard it rattling oddly, then I saw it flip over onto a row of cars. To prevent it from rolling further onto cars and possibly people, I started slicing holes in the plastic with the Delica. Somewhere I have a VHS tape from the cruiser video.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I use knives so much I can hardly narrow down the uses...I always have a Clinch Pick on my belt and use it for anything that is best done with a paring kind of motion, towards the thumb. That could be anything from removing tags to wire stripping.

I usually keep a cheap Spyderco on me as well, either an Endura or whichever the largest of the Resilience-Persistence-etc line is, I forget. Most recently I used that to cut blazes on trees while marking out the borders of my property.

If I'm doing something specific, I'll probably have a relevant fixed blade...on the boat I carry a Dexter sliming knife, for example. Fantastic for cleaning/gutting/bleeding.

If I'm working around the cabin I'll have a small Mora. It cuts twine or wood or lightweight construction materials.

If I'm working on the trails around my cabin, I'll usually have a large knife of my own making - I don't think I have any pictures but it's a huge slab of O1 tool steel, probably 16" butt to tip, full convex grind, sharp like a wood chisel. It's a serious brush-clearer and/or light duty limbing tool.

Oh wait - I used it when I put up the entry sign to our property, and I remember when I did that so this pic could be located:

Name:  slab.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  61.6 KB

You can't really gauge the size because it's pointing away from me so the perspective makes it look smaller than it is. The sharp edge is probably a foot long.

The little tree I one-swiped out of existence there was about an inch and a half thick - I took a picture of it with my finger for scale that I found when I went and looked for that one. Unfortunately the finger I held up is not great for anyone else to use as a unit of measurement because A) I have XXL hands, and B) that particular finger took 61 stitches of reassembly to save it and is now both shorter than it should be, and weirdly shaped. But anyway that's my post-mitre-saw-surprise finger, next to a 1 1/2" sapling.

Name:  preslab.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  62.6 KB

I guess that turned into a typical MSA sidebar but the point is my EDC varies wildly according to context, from that monster down to an Alox Farmer that is also, and for different reasons, unbelievably handy.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List