Thread: Frankford Arsenal Primer Seating Tool

Site Supporter

Frankford Arsenal Primer Seating Tool

Here's a brief review of my Frankford Arsenal Primer Seating Tool after about 700 rounds:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...rod122149.aspx

In short, this is the best primer seating tool I've used. The build quality is excellent. The tool comes with 12 shell holders. It's easy to switch between large and small primers and to adjust seating depth. It's heavy and doesn't seem likely to break in my lifetime. Best of all, the "feel" when seating a primer is great. Highly recommended!

Have you used a RCBS hand primer to provide a direct comparison?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I have no experience with the RCBS tool. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Here's a brief review of my Frankford Arsenal Primer Seating Tool after about 700 rounds:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...rod122149.aspx

In short, this is the best primer seating tool I've used. The build quality is excellent. The tool comes with 12 shell holders. It's easy to switch between large and small primers and to adjust seating depth. It's heavy and doesn't seem likely to break in my lifetime. Best of all, the "feel" when seating a primer is great. Highly recommended!
    This has been my experience as well. Their de-priming tool is also excellent.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have no experience with the RCBS tool. Sorry.
    I was curious since I use the RCBS hand primer for years, and it's the best I've tried. I've been considering the FA primer, but wasn't sure if it would be worth the money to me.

Frankford Arsenal Primer Seating Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I picked up an older RCBS hand primer, and have been using it and the Frankfort Arsenal version.

The RCBS unit I have has 2 flaws IMO. One, it’s easy to get a primer stick between in the opening in the curved metal plate. Cures with the flick of a wrist, but still. The other issue is with transportation, and the non captured rod that inserts the primer. If you tip it upside down, it’ll pop out.

You definitely won’t wear out the FA unit, but I like the lower weight and profile of the RCBS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I have three issues with the RCBS:

1. Primers tend to “bridge” at the bottleneck between the reservoir and the hand unit. A still if the wrist usually fixes this, but it’s annoying.

2. The depth of seating is fixed. Usually, this works out but I’ve had some conurbations of brass/primer where I felt it was seating on the deep side. Or the shallow side, maybe this isn’t an issue, because in sny of these instances the rounds have fired and performed as expected.

3. The universal jaws sometimes slip, particularly when I’m priming narrow diameter case rim brass (like 5.56) Roth tight primer pockets (like just de-crimped 5.56). The result is a piece of brass and primer flying out.

I’ve successfully loaded 10,000+ rounds with my RCBS, so it does work fine most of the time. But I’m curious if FA built a better mousetrap.

User Tag List