Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
Hmm, I be damned. I figured that being in that size they would be an 8 ply because that’s what they are in the OE 20” size for my Ram 1500 which is pretty much the same size as yours except for the rim diameter.

But if I had to take an educated guess, I’m assuming the reason why is because of the taller sidewalls. The max weight for your 17’s at 50psi is 2,755 pounds and the max weight for the 20’s I had was 3,000 at 65psi.

But that sucks though, I would’ve been much happier with the set of BFG’s I had if they would’ve been a 6 ply rather than a damned 8 ply even if I did buy them not for their intended purpose. Those 8-ply’s just rode too damn rough, even with my four-corner air ride. They rode fine at 39psi but according to BFG, that was considered dangerously under-inflated. They said I should run them at 55psi or no less than 50psi but holy shit, you felt every bump in the road….lol. Although I did get my good braking, cornering and handling back at that pressure but man, they made my smooth-riding half-ton ride like a damn 3/4-ton.

Needless to say, even after I settled on the best happy medium for ride comfort vs handling with 47psi in the front and 44/45psi in the back, I got rid of them less than a year after buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely, I wanted to avoid the wagon ride the 8 ply's tend to have at the recommended inflation. I still run about 44 psi but the 6 ply still seems decently compliant to bumps.

The other nice thing about this size and model BFG is it is OEM for many Jeep wranglers and newer ford broncos so cheap take-offs can be found as people customize their rigs.