Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Tire Recommendations?

Site Supporter
    What do you have locally available. And what do you need for a tread pattern that is pertinent to your application. Michelin is awesome but tires for a vehicle can be somewhat dependent on driving style weather and $$.

The best tire for your rig is a good mud terrain-

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The tires on my 2020 Ram 1500 are getting down there, so it's time to start the research.

Mud and snow characteristics are irrelevant, it rarely snows where I live and I rarely drive off-road. I use my truck pretty much as an SUV with a pickup bed. Much of my driving is on Interstates. My main concerns are wet and dry traction, road noise, and gas mileage. Tire size is 265/70x17, and I'm not interested in going to another size without a really good reason. What are your recommendations?
    -Oh… I didn’t know they made tires that aren’t for off-roading
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMiller View Post
    I just hope Michelin doesn't do the normal corporate thing and invent "New Coke" to replace the classic successful product.
    This is what makes Michelin Michelin. They haven't done that. Goodforayear has been in business forever, as have all these other companies, and they just can't seem to touch Michelin for on the road performance, save for any extreme circumstances. It pops up now and again, but there are a few "tire engineers" or "tire engineer" adjacent members across our social network, and they all support the things being said. I worked with two GY analysts, both of which had Michelins on their cars and reported that all of their other (former) co-workers also drove Michelin.

The only only only time they really don't work well is in some extreme circumstance, and at that point, there's good reason. I don't have a need for sand tires for a dune buggy, and if I did, Michelin doesn't make them. My next car will get them from the beginning, all three motorcycles have them, and the only reason my road bicycle doesn't have them is because my fat ass needed a specialized tire that was a little better for pinching.

In all these years though, I do have one coworker, now, who defies the Michelin is king, and they were a patriotic GY employee who was very proud. They won't say Michelin is bad, by any means, but they're all about the brand being US based.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMiller View Post
    …I just hope Michelin doesn't do the normal corporate thing and invent "New Coke" to replace the classic successful product.
    In all seriousness, I want tire companies to continuously improve their products. The BF Goodrich mud terrains I bought this year for my Jeep are far and away better than the ones I used twenty years ago. I want my next set of tires to always be better than my last.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Michelin was my go to for both a 2005 Odessey 3 sets and a 95 Jeep Cherokee 2 sets. My leased Jettas have Bridgestones optimized for mileage. As I am likely to buy my latest, I would very inclined to go Michelin for that vehicle as well.

My recently retired mechanic who owned his own small independent shop for 30 + years who saw me brought home as a baby is of a like mind re Michelin though was candid in his inability to compete on price relative to Costco.

In that vein, he thought that Kumho and Hankook exceeded the intersection of quality and value.

His personal GMC truck and Camaro SS both wear Michelins.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The tires on my 2020 Ram 1500 are getting down there, so it's time to start the research.

Mud and snow characteristics are irrelevant, it rarely snows where I live and I rarely drive off-road. I use my truck pretty much as an SUV with a pickup bed. Much of my driving is on Interstates. My main concerns are wet and dry traction, road noise, and gas mileage. Tire size is 265/70x17, and I'm not interested in going to another size without a really good reason. What are your recommendations?
    Another vote for the Michelin Deffender LTX. I have a set and I love ‘em. So far the best tire I’ve owned for primarily street use. Great wet, dry and even loose snow/ice traction. These things are excellent in heavy downpours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my F150 I went with the BFG KO2 in C rated LT to save a little weight over the E rated which would be for much heavier towing than I do but still have a sturdy sidewall for periodic adventuring. They are pretty quiet for all terrain tires and the traction is great. I dig the look.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    On my F150 I went with the BFG KO2 in C rated LT to save a little weight over the E rated which would be for much heavier towing than I do but still have a sturdy sidewall for periodic adventuring. They are pretty quiet for all terrain tires and the traction is great. I dig the look.
    A load range C? What size tires do you have? I had set of 275/60/20 on my Ram 1500 and a load range D was all they had.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    A load range C? What size tires do you have? I had set of 275/60/20 on my Ram 1500 and a load range D was all they had.
    285 70r17 or just under 33“

My 2013 F150 is 4WD with Bilstein leveling struts set to 1.5“. I believe this size would still fit ok without the level on a stock 4WD.

Pickup Tire Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    285 70r17 or just under 33“
    Hmm, I be damned. I figured that being in that size they would be an 8 ply because that’s what they are in the OE 20” size for my Ram 1500 which is pretty much the same size as yours except for the rim diameter.

But if I had to take an educated guess, I’m assuming the reason why is because of the taller sidewalls. The max weight for your 17’s at 50psi is 2,755 pounds and the max weight for the 20’s I had was 3,000 at 65psi.

But that sucks though, I would’ve been much happier with the set of BFG’s I had if they would’ve been a 6 ply rather than a damned 8 ply even if I did buy them not for their intended purpose. Those 8-ply’s just rode too damn rough, even with my four-corner air ride. They rode fine at 39psi but according to BFG, that was considered dangerously under-inflated. They said I should run them at 55psi or no less than 50psi but holy shit, you felt every bump in the road….lol. Although I did get my good braking, cornering and handling back at that pressure but man, they made my smooth-riding half-ton ride like a damn 3/4-ton.

Needless to say, even after I settled on the best happy medium for ride comfort vs handling with 47psi in the front and 44/45psi in the back, I got rid of them less than a year after buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List