Thread: Back into Dots

Back into Dots

I recently (finally!) received my SRO 5MOA, got it mounted and zero'd on my Shadow 2 OR. Lots of fun running basic skill drills with target focus - by the end of 100 rounds (including zero'ing) I was pretty consistently hitting IPSC head "A" zone with two shots from the holster in sub 3.5 seconds at 10 yards. Not "Black Belt" performance but encouraging.

Literally when I got back from that range trip, found a Holosun SCS for my G19 in the mailbox. Got it mounted up but haven't had the ability to zero yet. While I'm a big fan of Holosuns in general, the comparison of dot clarity to the SRO is horrifying. On the "dot only" I've got a green amoeba that's vaguely oblong, with tons of bloom, even with the sensors covered to get the dot dimmed down.

After shooting the 5MOA SRO, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I thought the HS "circle dot" would be a good idea...

More to follow after I get the G19 out to get the SCS zero'd.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    ...Holosun SCS for my G19 in the mailbox. Got it mounted up but haven't had the ability to zero yet. While I'm a big fan of Holosuns in general, the comparison of dot clarity to the SRO is horrifying. On the "dot only" I've got a green amoeba that's vaguely oblong, with tons of bloom, even with the sensors covered to get the dot dimmed down.

After shooting the 5MOA SRO, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I thought the HS "circle dot" would be a good idea...
    I agree about the circle-dot reticle. I do not like.

But, all of my Holosuns have equal or better dot sharpness than my SRO. As well, the glass appears clearer in the Holosuns. The Aimpoint Acro P2 is the clear winner in optical quality though.

I wonder if something's wrong with your SCS?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

But, all of my Holosuns have equal or better dot sharpness than my SRO. As well, the glass appears clearer in the Holosuns. The Aimpoint Acro P2 is the clear winner in optical quality though.

Not sure. My buddy's SCS has a similar amoeba-like blob instead of a clear dot.

The up-side is the dot is so distorted it becomes visually similar in size to the 5MOA SRO, so, maybe it's going to work out OK in the end.

I don't have any experience with the two optics being discussed here (SRO and SCS). I have an RMR and a 507c X2. The RMR reticle appears as a perfect dot to me while the 507 reticle is some kind of amorphous blob. That’s what most red dots look like to me. The RMR is the only one I can ever remember using that is an actual, well defined, dot.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Not sure. My buddy's SCS has a similar amoeba-like blob instead of a clear dot.

The up-side is the dot is so distorted it becomes visually similar in size to the 5MOA SRO, so, maybe it's going to work out OK in the end.
    Holosun dots normally look fine to me with RX glasses. In the one production SCS I’ve seen in person, with RX glasses the green dot looked starburst-y and irregular as dots appear to me without glasses.

Given Holosun pulled the red dot version of the production SCS because it did not meet their standards I suspect something is simply not up to par with the current batch off SCS.

The EPS 2moa that arrived today looks crisp.

The EPS 2moa that arrived today looks crisp.

Yup - that's a nice dot.

Got to zero the SCS today. A little frustrating that the adjustments have no clicks, just sort of free spin, makes it pretty hard to make fine adjustments. Having said that, got the G19 dialed in at 25 yards, and the dot held zero without issues for another 200 rounds of random drills. Dot size/shape became a non-issue when shooting it as intended - e.g. with both eyes open and target focus.

How do you like the 509T vs the Acro overall?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    How do you like the 509T vs the Acro overall?
    I like them both, but prefer the 509t2 for general use.

Below is a qualitative, descriptive comparison. I could not figure out a way to take photos through the optics with an iPhone.

The optics differ in three obvious ways: window size, brightness/clarity, and pincushion distortion. Together, these produced a subjective quality that I'll describe as usability as an aiming device.

Pincushion (least to most): Acro >> SRO > 509t2 ACSS > 509t2
    The most obvious "problem" with the 509t2 is the significant pincushion distortion in the top 25% of the window. This is likely due to the angled lens. Interestingly, the 509t2 ACSS has less pincushion. The SRO has some pincushion as well, but because of the large window, it's much less noticeable. The Acro is optically superior, and had no noticeable distortion.

Brightness/Clarity: Acro >> 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > SRO
    Again, the Acro stood out in optical quality, but the 509t2 ACSS was a close 2nd. The SRO was noticeably inferior to the other optics in brightness and clarity.

Window size: SRO > 509t2 (both) > Acro
    The huge window and thin frame of the SRO are its main advantages. It's easy to ignore the frame and focus on the target. However, the 509t2's window is large enough (especially in width) that I don't notice it either. By contrast, the Acro's tiny window and thick frame are more distracting. The Acro is tunnel-like.

Usability: SRO = 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > Acro
    Note: this is a subjective preliminary evaluation, and I need more time with the Acro and 509t2 ACSS before I can provide a strong opinion.

The SRO is a popular optic in USPSA CO because it is reliable and has a big window. I still think it's the default choice unless a closed emitter is needed.

The 509t2 ACSS surprised me because it was optically superior to the regular 509t2 (based on a sample size of 1 each). Moving the gun simulating transitions, I found it just as easy to use as the SRO.

If I stare through the 509t2 and concentrate on the top part of the window, the pincushion distortion is distracting. I don't notice it while shooting dynamically. The bright and clear glass and relatively thin frame make the window disappear. For its size, the 509t2 is the winner.

At arms length, the Acro's bright-clear-undistorted yet tiny window with a big frame was less usable than any of the other optics. I'm going to need more time with the Acro, but I don't expect I will be buying more of them. Except for it being possibly more rugged than the 509t2, I can't see choosing the Acro's tiny window in a relatively large optic.
    https://www.recoilweb.com/aimpoint-a...ds-170066.html

User Tag List