Thread: Sometimes, you just need to exercise the classics

Sometimes, you just need to exercise the classics

Earlier in the week I picked up an identical copy of an everyday bog standard Colt O1991 (Series 80 Gov't model, blued) to the one that I had sent off to Colt a year and a half ago to get worked over. So now I have my worked over working/carry gun, and a reference copy, I guess. The nice thing about having a reference copy, you can take it out and remind yourself "oh yeah, this is why I had it modified"

Anyway - Got the 1911 home, cleaned it out, and I think I figured out why the previous owner got rid of it - the extractor was never set up from the factory. I'm sure it was throwing brass everywhere including in the face of the previous owner. I spent a few minutes adding tension little by little until it "felt" right, no other changes. The previous owner had never cleaned the slide either...I mean, they never cleaned out any of the factory Colt preservative from any of the slide internals so the firing pin block was gummy, there was a ton of crud in the firing pin channel, etc. A detail strip and a bunch of q-tips and patches later (the barrel was spotless, but the rest of it wasn't), the 1911 was ready to roll.

Anyway, I figured while I'm at the range seeing if it works any better now that I've adjusted the extractor, I may as well take another classic out for a spin:

Name:  IMG_1606-small.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  75.0 KB

That particular P220 is a slightly rare beast; it's got a steel frame. Sig model 220R-45-SBSS; it uses the same steel frame that Sig currently makes their 10mm guns out of. I looked for and bought it because to me standard P220s shoot like Colt Lightweight Commanders - fantastic to carry around but uncomfortable to spend a few hundred rounds with at the range. I like 45s that I can beat up at the range without them beating me up in return.

Sidebar: The 1911 is still a much softer shooter, even with the 220 having a steel frame...if you want a soft shooting all metal 45, a CZ97 is really the only thing IMO that gives a 1911 a run for it's money; after that, a Glock 21 - no kidding. Everything else, including the vaunted USP, comes in as an "also ran" or "never was"...at least in my limited experience. I should take my Mk23 out with a 1911 one day to see how those two compare...

Anyway - 98 rounds later, of which 49 rounds were spent performing the 10-8 extractor test (28 two handed, 21 SHO) - no bobbles, no issues, POI=POA at the 35 or so feet I was shooting at, brass ejected up and right with or without a mag present, overall a very delightful experience. 164 rounds later on the 220, I remember why I don't carry it...it's somehow heavier than the 1911 yet pushes/flips more and shot-to-shot recovery (for me at least) is slower. I didn't put a timer on it; I wasn't really shooting for time...but the 1911's sights came back more evenly for me, if that makes any sense. I'm sure if I weren't a fatbody and had actually trained and practiced with the 220, things would be different...but for me out of the box, I still like my 1911s more even though I've really grown to appreciate a DA/SA carry gun.

I guess the moral of the story is: shooting guns is fun; you don't need to go to the range with a training plan all the time...and don't forget: hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Site Supporter
    Nice SIG. I had a steel framed, railed 226 years ago that I somewhat foolishly sold to a friend, who now wisely refuses to part with it. Solid pistol that had very little recoil, it was just heavier than than I wanted for carry.
    Polite Professional

User Tag List