Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kestrel KST1000 Shot Timer

Kestrel KST1000 Shot Timer

Anybody get their hands on one of these yet?

https://kestrelballistics.com/buy-shot-timer

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Anybody get their hands on one of these yet?

https://kestrelballistics.com/buy-shot-timer
    This looks very promising

Name:  temp-shot-timer.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  16.5 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Following with interest...I need a timer and just started shopping.

Pricey thing, but I'm willing to pay for made-in-USA if the quality and features justify the price.

-Rainman

Kestrel Ballistics is a leading manufacturer of handheld weather/environmental instruments, and has an excellent reputation. They make rugged, well-designed, long-lasting equipment, and do it in the USA. I've had one of their weather meters (for long-range rifle shooting) for nearly 15 years, beat the crap out of it, and it still works as new.

I'm very happy with my Commander shot timer... but Kestrel will bring some welcome competition to a very narrow market. As well, Kestrel is a large company with the manufacturing capacity to supply as many units as the market demands.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That's an expensive shot timer

I just ordered one. I reward myself when I sell a pistol so this was it, haha. I ordered an AMG-Lab timer at the beginning of June so we will se which one shows up first then I can compare the two.

This thing looks really good.

The AMG timer is good and all, but the user interface is prehistoric.

Just a heads up, a few sellers have these in stock today. Midway, among others.

Quick notes on the KST-1000 after a few days of working with it-

Overview:
    This thing has a relatively fantastic menu system and works very well so far. Much more intuitive and easy to set than my AMG Commander. You can get up and running without going through the manual (though it's a good idea to read it). Five easily re-labeled slots for various preset configurations. Dryfire sensitivity setting (along with other pickup settings) is very granular, fast and easy to set, and allows for a consistent pickup in various situations.

Build quality seems on par with an old-school Fluke multimeter, which is saying a lot. Not heavy (9.2 ounces with batteries), not too bulky, though certainly bigger than a Commander- but much smaller than a Pocket Pro and the like. The backlit dual screens are great. Very good belt/pocket clip.

Water resistant to IP67 (1 meter submersion and dust proof), with (Gore-tex?) membranes over the microphone and speaker openings.

I like the fact that it is made in the USA. For me personally, that helps justify the price.

Elephants in the room: Still no PractiScore integration (which I know will be a deal-breaker for some). Kestrel CS told me that they are "very actively working with PractiScore" but the time frame is later/late this year. I have not found a way to export data via the bluetooth stack, and it won't talk to PractiScore Log, either.

The timer will handshake with the Kestrel Ballistics LINK app, but strictly for the purpose of checking for firmware updates (which have not been issued as of now). There is no other connectivity via that app, and you get a slightly inelegant experience when connecting- it says it is checking for an update, then simply blanks out with no acknowledgement or any other message.

Some might not like the 123A battery power- I have no issue with it at all, as I always have a good supply, but certainly some people might prefer something else.

If I can't beat someone with it, I'm not interested...

http://instagram.com/p/CoA7FuSDyc6/

User Tag List