Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Budget Wide Bodies. BUL vs Springfield Armory!

Battle of the Budget Wide Bodies. BUL vs Springfield Armory!

So I just picked up a new Springfield Parody DS Commander. The shop had both versions. The Government felt solid. Sort of beefy and heavy. It also has a very cool sort of Robocop look about it. But I opted for the Commander because this length has always been one of my favorites.

Initial impressions of the SA are that they totally knocked it out of the park! If the gun functions properly I don't think you're likely to find a better value in the wide body 1911 market. A bold statement considering I just bought the gun and haven't even fired it yet.

The trigger is surprisingly good. Just a hint of take up with a very clean and crisp break. My fish scale trigger gauge says four and a half pounds. It is probably one of the nicest out of the box 1911 triggers I've felt in awhile. The BUL is lighter but it does have sort of a glitch about halfway through. It is more of a rolling break also. The Springfield is more of that "build pressure to snap" sort of feel.

The BUL is a 5" gun in stroke but a 4.25" in length. Essentially it is a Government Model with the last ¾" sawed off. The Parody is a true Commander in that it has shorter frame rails and a shorter slide stroke.

Both guns feel solid. Both have tight slide to frame fit and no spring in the barrel when in lock up. But for overall solid and tight I'd have to give the nod to the SA.

Add up the overall feel of both and the price plus the fact that one uses more common mags and comes optics ready and I think I'd have to go with the Springfield.

If the Prodigy doesn't run I will be singing a different tune.

I like the gun. I don't think I like the name. Springfield 1911DS or 1911HC or even 2022 or something would have been better.

Anyway, pics:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 09-03-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Slides. Note length of dust covers.

Barrels. Note the different shape of the cam surface.

Recoil components. I assume the DS uses a true Commander length.

Both guide rods kind of suck. The SA is two piece and has to be screwed in half to remove. The BUL is one piece but needs a paper clip to take apart.

Frames. Note the one set of continuous frame rails on the BUL. The Springfield is two sets separated by the mag well.

Difference in slide travel length. In theory the BUL should be more reliable. Maybe the extra slide travel isn't as important with a 9mm.

More info once I've been able to shoot the new Springfield.

One anomaly is that it came with two 17rd Hi cap murder clips. Is the info on the SA website incorrect on did someone in the shipping department toss in the wrong mag? Or maybe they got mixed up at the shop. No matter. I will pick up a few more mags when I can find them in the $35 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Difference in slide travel length. In theory the BUL should be more reliable. Maybe the extra slide travel isn't as important with a 9mm.

Hard to tell, but does the Springfield’s slide not come far enough back for the front face of the breech to come behind the disconnector?

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Hard to tell, but does the Springfield’s slide not come far enough back for the front face of the breech to come behind the disconnector?
    It does in travel but not at slide lock. It is true Commander in this regard.

Here's the Parody slide at full rearward travel.

And the BUL for comparison.

User Tag List