Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs everything else

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You are a madman 😁👍

Edited to ask I assume this is not from a J frame
    Correct. I can't pocket carry.

From a 2" barrel I'd guess probably 850fps so it wouldn't be bad.

Fwiw AR gets pulls in regularly and they typically have coupons that bring the price down to 10cpr.https://americanreloading.com/9mm-38...hst-500ct.html

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Correct. I can't pocket carry.

From a 2" barrel I'd guess probably 850fps so it wouldn't be bad.

Fwiw AR gets pulls in regularly and they typically have coupons that bring the price down to 10cpr.https://americanreloading.com/9mm-38...hst-500ct.html
    Thats going to be a stout load out of a jframe. I just picked up a a Wiley Clapp 2” its my only non j frame revolver. Maybe in that platform it would be tolerable.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Federal Gold Medal Match Wadcutter 148gr (GM38A) averaged 14.8 and 16 inches in real 10% gel

https://brassfetcher.com/Handguns/38...Selection.html

Site Supporter
    FWIW, there are some very solid revolver trainers and users in my circle that are working on a factory .38 WC carry load that is easier to shoot, accurate, available and that performs to a solid standard. Hoping that their efforts bear fruit.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    FWIW, there are some very solid revolver trainers and users in my circle that are working on a factory .38 WC carry load that is easier to shoot, accurate, available and that performs to a solid standard. Hoping that their efforts bear fruit.
    A re-birth of the old “full charge” load would be about right IMO, using a coated or plated bullet to reduce smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I really like the Precision One FMJ 148s but I can’t help but wonder if the jacket affects cutting ability to a notable degree?
    Probably a lot cleaner and easier to handle in loading.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    “Easier to shoot” color me really curious. Hopefully there will be a preorder option for PFers
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    BB 150 WC defeats the purpose of using a wad cutter in a lightweight revolver.
    Agree. I see the midrange .38 wadcutter as a substitute for the once popular .32 revolver.
    The BB is too hot.
    What seems needed is the old service wadcutter at 850 fps in 6 inch, less in hideout guns but still more than the target load.

Oh, and fill your speed loader with something with an ogive.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Agree. I see the midrange .38 wadcutter as a substitute for the once popular .32 revolver.
    The BB is too hot.
    What seems needed is the old service wadcutter at 850 fps in 6 inch, less in hideout guns but still more than the target load.

Oh, and fill your speed loader with something with an ogive.
    This is the word! For a reload that meets this spec, use a good 148 DEWC (I like SNS Casting's - https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-14...coated-1000ct/) and load it over 3.5 grains of Bullseye, crimped to the crimp groove. Full credit to @Outpost75 for this load and tons of other tech knowledge and wisdom on the .38 Special world.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Chronographed velocities for " full-charge" wadcutter fired from various revolver barrel lengths, and cylinder gaps, selecting test weapons going through Academy gun vault seeking similar 1965-1972'vintage Colts. Several of the "loose" guns here were shot again after setting the barrels back and establishing gap to minimum. CYLINDER GAP IS AS IMPORTANT AS BARREL LENGTH!

Saeco #348 146-grain DEWC, Speer once-fired .38 Special case, CCI 500 , 3.5 grains. Bullseye, OAL 1.24"

Colt 2" Detective Special with 0.008" cylinder gap 758 fps, 19 SD
    Colt 3" Detective Special with 0.006" cylinder gap 852 fps, 11Sd
    Colt 3" Detective Special set back to 0.003" cylinder gap 879 fps, 18 Sd
    Colt 4" Police Positive .38 Special set back to 0.004" cylinder gap 867 fps, 10Sd
    Colt 4" Police Positive .38 Special before set back at 0.008" cylinder gap 829 fps, 11Sd
    Colt 4" Official Police .38 Special 1972 factory rebuild with 0.003" cylinder gap 885 fps. 10 Sd
    Colt 6" Official Police .38 Special 1969 factory rebuildwith 0.003" cylinder gap 910 fps, 7 SD
    Marlin 1894C .357 carbine with 18-1/2" barrel 1053 fps, 9 Sd

Good approximation for standard-pressure .38 Special with lead bullets loaded with fast burning powders similar to Bullseye is to expect a Delta-V of about 10 fps for each 0.001" change in barrel-cylinder gap from Mean Assembly Tolerance.

Velocity loss is dramatic in S&W J-frames having shorter, actual 1-7/8" barrela, which are commonly shipped today with B-C gaps over 0.008". Unfortunately the S&W factory will not set back a barrel anymore and no longer keeps "+" cylinders in customer service, so if your new Scandium pocket rocket meets factory spec now allowed to be 0.010", rather than being tagged "open front gage" you need to learn to love it like it is.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-04-2022 at 04:37 PM.

User Tag List