Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs everything else

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Got an email asking about Lucy gunner but I don’t see it in the thread?

Anyways post #1 references Lucky Gunner?

Looky at what else I found. It's actually hotter than what I'd prefer, but perhaps it might appeal to others. You can't beat the price!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020447045?pid=357002

It's not my intention to shill for Midway, this is just where I found it in stock.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Looky at what else I found. It's actually hotter than what I'd prefer, but perhaps it might appeal to others. You can't beat the price!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020447045?pid=357002

It's not my intention to shill for Midway, this is just where I found it in stock.
    That's some pretty warm stuff especially if that velocity is from a 2'' snubby. Ouch.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I know theres another post that has pics of this
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1053568

“I've shot a number of deer with Remington WCs. From a 642 they "stick" when they hit the skull, leave a large entry wound, don't exit, and pulp the brain. Instant lights out. On double lung shots I've noted that on the entry side WCs through a rib (deer ribs are much large and more robust that people ribs for anyone who hasn't seen one) make a splintered hole large than the bullet, will penetrate all the way through, have enough energy to penetrate the rib on the far side and get stuck under the skin. JHPs that I've made similar shots with, like Critical Defense, tend to leave a bullet sized clean hole in the rib on the entry side, like it's been hit with a drill bit.

I've seen very, very few JHPs actually expand from a snub. Even one's designed for that use. Many old school loads, such as the 110gr +P+, that do expand fail to penetrate nearly enough for my comfort.”

Just to be clear the main reason I posted this was because of the link in th OP. When you look at the penetration of 38 loads from a 2” barrel nothing really penetrates like a wadcutter unless you go to +p velocities. Another observation was how poorly most .38 loads from a 2” perform. It helped me really see it with all the data in one chart.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-03-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I know theres another post that has pics of this
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1053568

“I've shot a number of deer with Remington WCs. From a 642 they "stick" when they hit the skull, leave a large entry wound, don't exit, and pulp the brain. Instant lights out. On double lung shots I've noted that on the entry side WCs through a rib (deer ribs are much large and more robust that people ribs for anyone who hasn't seen one) make a splintered hole large than the bullet, will penetrate all the way through, have enough energy to penetrate the rib on the far side and get stuck under the skin. JHPs that I've made similar shots with, like Critical Defense, tend to leave a bullet sized clean hole in the rib on the entry side, like it's been hit with a drill bit.

I've seen very, very few JHPs actually expand from a snub. Even one's designed for that use. Many old school loads, such as the 110gr +P+, that do expand fail to penetrate nearly enough for my comfort.”

Just to be clear the main reason I posted this was because of the link in th OP. When you look at the penetration of 38 loads from a 2” barrel nothing really penetrates like a wadcutter unless you go to +p velocities. Another observation was how poorly most .38 loads from a 2” perform. It helped me really see it with all the data in one chart.
    I forget if I've tested my HST reloads from a 2" barrel. I get 930fps from a 3" barrel. I need to test them. I tested them for accuracy and they were pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I forget if I've tested my HST reloads from a 2" barrel. I get 930fps from a 3" barrel. I need to test them. I tested them for accuracy and they were pretty impressive.
    What caliber?

What caliber?
    38 special.

38 special.
    Hst micro?

From Federals website
    Caliber 38 Special +P
    Grain Weight 130
    Bullet Style Jacketed Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity 890
    Test Barrel Length In 4-V
    Package Quantity 20
    Usage Self-Defense

From Lucky Gunner in the OP
    Name:  09B2A3E6-C18D-4B47-835E-BEE2B741C28A.jpeg
Views: 481
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by UNK; 09-04-2022 at 11:18 AM.

Hst micro?
    No, I used pulled 9mm 147gr HSTs

No, I used pulled 9mm 147gr HSTs
    You are a madman 😁👍

Edited to ask I assume this is not from a J frame

User Tag List