Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs everything else

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    How come.
    I have had great results with Remington and Federal 158 gr standard velocity semi wadcutters in my 2" guns. Mild recoil, shoots to sights and easier to load than the wadcutters. If you can't find Remington or Federal, Privi Partizan has a nice looking alternative.

Another round I like is the Norma 158 grain FMJ flat point. Loaded in Hungary I think. Same bullet was loaded by RWS.]
    I know @jetfire has in the past talked about carrying plain jane SWC. It's gonna penetrate a bit more, probably, so you might want to keep that in mind.... I'd not sweat it much, if that's what I had available. Flat point FMJ would work about the same, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    How come.
    I have had great results with Remington and Federal 158 gr standard velocity semi wadcutters in my 2" guns. Mild recoil, shoots to sights and easier to load than the wadcutters. If you can't find Remington or Federal, Privi Partizan has a nice looking alternative.

Another round I like is the Norma 158 grain FMJ flat point. Loaded in Hungary I think. Same bullet was loaded by RWS.

Attachment 96507
    The Magtech .38 Special 158-grain FMJFN is also a good choice for those looking for a semi-wadcutter profile with mild recoil from a 2'' snubbie.

https://magtechammunition.com/produc...58gr-fmj-flat/
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The Magtech .38 Special 158-grain FMJFN is also a good choice for those looking for a semi-wadcutter profile with mild recoil from a 2'' snubbie.

https://magtechammunition.com/produc...58gr-fmj-flat/
    Would that type of profile cut/crush more than a FMJRN?
    We have discussed before that in a semi-auto friendly profile that difference between FMJ and FMJFP is minimal if any.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I know @jetfire has in the past talked about carrying plain jane SWC. It's gonna penetrate a bit more, probably, so you might want to keep that in mind.... I'd not sweat it much, if that's what I had available. Flat point FMJ would work about the same, I'd think.
    Full wadcutters, not semi-wadcutters. I mean I have carried SWC, but the full wadcutter is the preferred bullet profile because it's flat across the nose, has very mild recoil, and generally hits to the sights on a lot of fixed sight revolvers.

When I'm selecting a defensive round for a fixed sight revolver, the very first priority, above anything else is "does this hit behind the front sight"

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Would that type of profile cut/crush more than a FMJRN?
    We have discussed before that in a semi-auto friendly profile that difference between FMJ and FMJFP is minimal if any.
    The flat nose would crush slightly less than the round nose profile.

Between the two (non-deforming flat nose & round nose profiles), there's a minimal difference in permanent crush cavity.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The flat nose would crush slightly less than the round nose profile.

Between the two (non-deforming flat nose & round nose profiles), there's a minimal difference in permanent crush cavity.
    Guess I’m curious why people would carry those for reloads instead of a quality jacketed hollow point designed for a short barrel. I carry wadcutters in my J frames and carry an appropriate JHP designed for a short barrel that is much easier to load as my reloads.

Unless JHP’s weren’t available I can’t think of a reason to carry a SWC as a back up or reload for a 2 inch barrel lightweight gun

Unless JHP’s weren’t available I can’t think of a reason to carry a SWC as a back up or reload for a 2 inch barrel lightweight gun
    Most JHP won't expand out of 2 inch guns, which is why smart guys like Darryl, Chuck, etc all recommend full wadcutters as a primary round in the gun. Then since you're not getting expansion, I know Chuck and I both carry round nose FMJ as a reload because the bullet profile is less likely to foul on the cylinder than SWC or full wadcutters.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Most JHP won't expand out of 2 inch guns, which is why smart guys like Darryl, Chuck, etc all recommend full wadcutters as a primary round in the gun. Then since you're not getting expansion, I know Chuck and I both carry round nose FMJ as a reload because the bullet profile is less likely to foul on the cylinder than SWC or full wadcutters.
    I am assuming by foul you mean hang up while trying to insert them into the cylinder. Critical defense loads very well.

I usually carry J frames in pairs though…..

I regularly carry swc. In .38, .357, and .45acp

Guess I’m curious why people would carry those for reloads instead of a quality jacketed hollow point designed for a short barrel. I carry wadcutters in my J frames and carry an appropriate JHP designed for a short barrel that is much easier to load as my reloads.

When it comes to full- and semi-wadcutters in snubs, it's really a matter of personal preference.

The difference between the two in terms of actual performance is negligible; what matters most is what you hit.

The JHPs designed for short barrels are OK up to a certain point.

I'd want to confirm expansion from a 2'' barrel before loading them up. If they don't expand, why waste the extra expense on what will behave as an FMJRN?

User Tag List