Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs everything else

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That 600 yard shot is about as likely as Paul Bunyan eating 50 pancakes in a minute or John Henry racing a drilling machine.

Which is to say it’s a wonderful part of American folklore that also definitely didn’t happen as recollected. I’m not even saying Elmer didn’t shoot a deer at what was perceived to be an extreme distance either. Im just saying that fish get bigger the further you get from the day you caught it
    It's not like it was a single shot dropping a deer. He was shooting at a wounded animal and missed half his shots.
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Elmer......-a082533192

I've never shot wadcutters at 100 yards but I've heard, or read, that they started to lose stability between 50-100 yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideAmmunitionComponents View Post
    We produce his original .44 Mag 250 gr Keith SWC loading as a NightStalker bullet, and I actually have a few hundred in-stock for once. We also do limited runs in .41 Magnum as well for the other fans of the cartridge! If anyone here is tired of the same ol' crap and is feeling adventurous, we sell sample packs of (25) or (50) for testing out and you WILL have fun with them! I guarantee it!
    I'm an old bullet caster and am very interested in your company. Most of us here try to buy from other forum members in the shooting business. Please share information about your outfit, your production equipment, or any other interesting tidbits.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've never shot wadcutters at 100 yards but I've heard, or read, that they started to lose stability between 50-100 yards.
    Same here. I'm not sure if that refers solely to the hollow-base variety or to the solid-base ones too. From what I've read, the preferred rate of twist for custom PPC revolvers was 1-10" to provide increased stability with factory HBWC ammo.

It's not like it was a single shot dropping a deer. He was shooting at a wounded animal and missed half his shots.

Thanks for that link. I recall reading that article by Taffin quite awhile back. Hard to believe that it's been 20 years already. Tempus fugit. Always enjoyed the ''Taffin Tests'' and his experiment shows that, even with ''older eyes'', it is possible to ''walk out'' rounds and connect at distances otherwise considered 'extreme'. Hunting as much large and dangerous game as I have in the past, I'd never try anything like that with a animal because that falls outside my definition of ethical hunting practices, but it is nice to know that barrels, wood boards, and other ''shootables'' are not safe at ranges out to 600 yards.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideAmmunitionComponents View Post
    We produce his original .44 Mag 250 gr Keith SWC loading as a NightStalker bullet, and I actually have a few hundred in-stock for once. We also do limited runs in .41 Magnum as well for the other fans of the cartridge! If anyone here is tired of the same ol' crap and is feeling adventurous, we sell sample packs of (25) or (50) for testing out and you WILL have fun with them! I guarantee it!
    This may have been suggested to you previously. Participation by vendors and technical contribution is welcomed in technical threads, but turning technical threads into commercial promotions as you have started to do in this one is generally not. Many vendors sign up as commercial site supporters and are then welcomed to make all the commercial posts they want in the Supporting Business Forum. They can even get their own sub-forum.

https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...Business-Forum
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This may have been suggested to you previously. Participation by vendors and technical contribution is welcomed in technical threads, but turning technical threads into commercial promotions as you have started to do in this one is generally not. Many vendors sign up as commercial site supporters and are then welcomed to make all the commercial posts they want in the Supporting Business Forum. They can even get their own sub-forum.

https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...Business-Forum
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.
    It's very bad form to pimp your shit like that.

The fact that Taffin tells a different version of that story to the one that Petzal tells is what we like to call a clue.

I'm very familiar with the tale of the 600 yard deer shot, Elmer Keith was one of my heroes growing up. But now that I'm all grown up and I've spent a decent amount of time pulling triggers, I get skeptical hippo eyes about some of the "tales of yore."

@Malamute is into the long range revolver shooting.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    @lostriver also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    @lostriver also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List