Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combatives University

I'm intrigued as well. I'll have to ask a couple of the black belts about the hands on side of things.

Site Supporter
    As one of newly promoted black belts I may be able to shed some light on the promotion process.

But some background my be needed. The Combatives University is an outgrowth of the Combatives Association. The Combatives Association was started by Matt Larsen. Matt is the originator of the MACP. When Matt was in the Ranger Regiment he was tasked by Stan McCrystal to develop a Combatives program for the Regiment.

The Combatives University is a continuation of MACP outside of the Army. The tasks listed are requirements to be completed by the individual. They are not training videos like you would see in the Gracie university. You have to show your work. You have to show videos of you competing and winnings in competition such as IBJJF. You have to show proficiency in bout pistol and rifle/carbine qualifications. You have to show yourself meeting the strength standards in bench, squat and deadlifts. You have to show proficiency in Tac med.

So, you have to show your work either in the presence of a black belt or via video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I mean...guys here would critique your shooting video for free I'd wager. You could probably post your lifting form on a strength training subreddit for feedback there.

More than a few BJJ guys offer patreon memberships that include them critiquing competition or rolling footage. Guys like Andrew Wiltse and Bird Wiltse do for sure and those dudes are pretty badass BJJ competitors.

I think the BJJ Mental Models Premium site has guys who will critique your form...I'm pretty sure a couple other guys do as well.

Unless you have a few taped street fights or MMA bouts to show, these guys may not really offer you that much idk?

Again, not trying to shit on this site if it's legit...but it's nothing revolutionary or unobtainable elsewhere I wouldn't think. Unless you're trying to learn a lot of medical stuff? But I'd really suggest in person learning for that.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    See above. It’s not online training. It’s not online critiquing of your form. It’s you showing the work showing in shooting, BJJ, Tac med and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    See above. It’s not online training. It’s not online critiquing of your form. It’s you showing the work showing in shooting, BJJ, Tac med and strength.

Could you share the strength requirements?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Could you share the strength requirements?
    Bench = body weight on bar
    Squat = 1.5x body weight on bar
    DL = 2x body weight on bar

Thanks for the speedy reply, I might be a dumbass but does "bodyweight on the bar" mean if I weigh 200lbs I need to bench 200lbs or 245lb (bodyweight + bar)?

no worries. Means you need to bench 200lbs = to your bodyweight
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

I decided to do this. With the training I have completed previously I am almost done with the grey belt certification. I did the Physical fitness portion today. The standards for grey belt are easily accomplished for most folks. I am ~200 pounds and the lift requirements were not to hard even for a 50 year old. I suspect the requirement for the physical fitness test will go up with the belt.

To finish my grey belt I need 7 more videoed "fights". My two evolutions from ECQC counted and I had a match from a no-gi I was in (I am not a great bjj player but I got a sub (rear naked choke) in that match.

For me this is really just some motivation to get my lazy ass back in the bjj gym and to trim off a few pounds (it will make the lift requirements less, it is based on body weight).

It is also way to pressure test/provide stress inoculation.

The cost to sign up is pretty nominal and I have blown way more on bad take out than the cost of this ($35 for grey belt).

Site Supporter

Combatives University

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply, I might be a dumbass but does "bodyweight on the bar" mean if I weigh 200lbs I need to bench 200lbs or 245lb (bodyweight + bar)?
    You’re welcome.
    Yes. If you’re 200# then the total includes the bar. So, 45# bar + 2x45# plates + 2x25# plates + 2x5# plates + 2x2.5# plates = 200#.

’m still learning a lot about the program in detail, but as you can guess I’m not having much extra free time right now. But I know the basic idea behind the program and I think it’s an excellent one.

Having some kind of accreditation for the thing I’ve been working on for 25 years or so would be cool, not for me but for those who are following that path now. We (the Collective) had to figure the path out ourselves so having some general guidelines are a complete positive in my book.

I think video “tests” can be problematic but I don’t see an alternative when we are looking for a broad based spectrum of skills and there are not a lot of instructors who can teach it all. At least with video, there is some oversight (even if small), and a lot of things like strength and shooting can easily be tracked on video. John McFee has a entire business based on that.

I don’t know if it will work, but Matt Larsen is not doing this as an omnipotent dictator. He’s actively seeking advice and input on the program from those of us who he has asked to come on board. I think that’s a positive sign, and it will at least get me to try to help and see where it goes.

Hope this made sense.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List