Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combatives University

Combatives University

Has anyone signed up for this program? I am interested in it, but there is not a lot of information about what the program entails. This is what is listed for Grey Belt (the first belt in the program).

Combatives Grey Belt

This "course" is not instructional. It is a list of requirements set by Matt Larsen and the Board of Combatives Black Belts for the rank of Grey Belt and how you can fulfill them through submission of documents and videos proving your abilities.
    It has my interest piqued; however, I am not sure if it just for personal vanity or if it is because I want to get motivated to do some training.

There are several individuals that I really admire that have earned the black belt.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 09-02-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Seems like they spelled @Cecil Burch 's name wrong, but didn't mess up @SouthNarc

The dis hespect!

There seem to be some semi-recognizable names on their list of "black belts" but it pings some type of meter for me...maybe it's the "what a cool idea!" meter and maybe it's a "this looks like a scam" meter

Maybe the PF guys know more about this outfit and maybe I'm just ignorant, but video submitted "combatives programs" reminds me of the "Gracie combatives" program that Rener Gracie took so much crap for.

If you can't train anywhere else and its not a scam then maybe it's a good option?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Have you considered PM'ing Cecil or SouthNarc for their thoughts on this?

Cordially,
    Duces

From the small amount I have seen on the website you have to send in videos of yourself competing. I think for the physical fitness portion you will have to film yourself lifting. I am not sure what the requirements for the shooting will be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    From the small amount I have seen on the website you have to send in videos of yourself competing. I think for the physical fitness portion you will have to film yourself lifting. I am not sure what the requirements for the shooting will be.
    I mean...guys here would critique your shooting video for free I'd wager. You could probably post your lifting form on a strength training subreddit for feedback there.

More than a few BJJ guys offer patreon memberships that include them critiquing competition or rolling footage. Guys like Andrew Wiltse and Bird Wiltse do for sure and those dudes are pretty badass BJJ competitors.

I think the BJJ Mental Models Premium site has guys who will critique your form...I'm pretty sure a couple other guys do as well.

Unless you have a few taped street fights or MMA bouts to show, these guys may not really offer you that much idk?

Again, not trying to shit on this site if it's legit...but it's nothing revolutionary or unobtainable elsewhere I wouldn't think. Unless you're trying to learn a lot of medical stuff? But I'd really suggest in person learning for that.

Based on the people that I personally know that are part of it, I think it's a good organization.

That includes the three people that are Moderators for this forum, and a bunch of people they recognized.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Based on the people that I personally know that are part of it, I think it's a good organization.

That includes the three people that are Moderators for this forum, and a bunch of people they recognized.
    No doubt there are a lot of names I recognize. Just wasn't sure if this was a new thing or some group using those names without their knowledge.

If legit, it seems interesting. I was mostly concerned about legitimacy. I'm not the most naturally trusting type, but if the shivworks guys say it's on the level then that's more reassuring.

Well I signed up for the program. I am going to use it as a way to get back into BJJ (as videoed matches are the only thing that is keeping me from my grey belt). I like the idea of having minimum standards for each level.

I am super curious as to the fitness standards, if you think you can share.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Legitimacy will largely be determined by whether it aligns with what your goals specifically happen to be, and sometimes what’s advertised doesn’t always align with reality. It’s a business like any other that wants to appeal to the largest audience. Plus, there tends to be a fair amount of ego and neurotic pride in the martial arts world, so it’s always a good idea to keep that in mind.

“The Combatives belt system is not one of memorizing techniques and demonstrating them with a compliant partner. That type of system inevitably creates paper tigers who cannot fight. Rather, it is a list of skills and abilities that must be mastered and a method for proving that you have done so, usually through video evidence but also with training certificates or similar documentation.

That statement alone gives me pause and honestly would probably cause me to not recommend it if someone was asking solely about developing practical self-defense skills. That’s just me though. I don’t know what you’re after, but hopefully it turns out to be what you’re wanting. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mister X; 09-03-2022 at 08:19 AM.

User Tag List