Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PMO For Duty-Carry

Yes, understood. I was focusing on pistol optics. I think one could use an annual schedule for 2032s in ACRO P2s and RMR2s, provided they aren’t run at full intensity. Some personnel may go to full intensity thinking more is better…
    Thank you again for laying out your procedures.

HCM and others have hit the main points, so I’ll just be redundant for the sake of not looking like I’m ignoring...

We have a tradition at my department of having too few to support too many. Formal inspection/maintenance is that Goodfellas laugh meme. Maintenance is entirely up to the individual unless the optic needs to be removed to change the battery, since we (our unit) requires that all optics are mounted or re-mounted by us to maintain consistency and identify issues. That said, we’re not issuing optics department-wide and it’s the motivated who perform at a high level that get to participate so there’s that. We have a daily maintenence checklist which consists of:

• Check optic/slide for looseness
    • Check mounting screws (look at indicator marks)
    • Check window for cracks, damage, debris, and dot brightness
    • Check manual optic adjustment if applicable (RMR’s revert to auto adjust after 16hrs, so this bumps it back into manual, and it’s a verification the dot is on the setting you want (which for me and most optics is one step down from full brightness).
    • Reference dot to iron sights to verify zero
    • Application of glass/optic treatment such as anti-fog if necessary

RMRs with Duracells seem to go one year with no issues, and we’ve only had a couple and well over a year come back having died. Most are good about changing them out proactively. The Holosun can vary. The circle-dot will use more power and it’s a smaller battery, so depending on reticle and brightness I’m recommending one to three months. With SROs it’s kinda the same thing. I’ve had ‘em die in 1.5 months and live for 6-8 months depending on use. With Costco Duracell 12 packs of 2032s being $9 I say switch monthly and worry not.

I would switch ACRO P-1 batteries monthly and run high or one level lower with no problems. My P-2 is now almost 14 months, mostly at one-step down from full brightness. It’s on my carry gun now, so the responsible maintain your lifesaving equipment part of me wants to change it to be safe. The “let’s see how far this can go” test and experiment part of me wants to leave it. As I actually put honest thoughts on paper, I’ll probably change it tomorrow and test battery voltage just for a data point. It went well over a year - I’m happy.

HCMs comments on Sig optics is similar to mine. I don’t recall any zero shifts that I’ve seen, but I now call the 1Pro a “lazy” optic because there have been a few occasions it doesn’t want to wake up and work. Usually a good smack gets them going... for real. As for the mounting I’ve never seen a Sig optic come loose from a Sig pistol when it was mounted at the factory. It’s a good system for that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    HCM and others have hit the main points, so I’ll just be redundant for the sake of not looking like I’m ignoring...

We have a tradition at my department of having too few to support too many. Formal inspection/maintenance is that Goodfellas laugh meme. Maintenance is entirely up to the individual unless the optic needs to be removed to change the battery, since we (our unit) requires that all optics are mounted or re-mounted by us to maintain consistency and identify issues. That said, we’re not issuing optics department-wide and it’s the motivated who perform at a high level that get to participate so there’s that. We have a daily maintenence checklist which consists of:

• Check optic/slide for looseness
    • Check mounting screws (look at indicator marks)
    • Check window for cracks, damage, debris, and dot brightness
    • Check manual optic adjustment if applicable (RMR’s revert to auto adjust after 16hrs, so this bumps it back into manual, and it’s a verification the dot is on the setting you want (which for me and most optics is one step down from full brightness).
    • Reference dot to iron sights to verify zero
    • Application of glass/optic treatment such as anti-fog if necessary

RMRs with Duracells seem to go one year with no issues, and we’ve only had a couple and well over a year come back having died. Most are good about changing them out proactively. The Holosun can vary. The circle-dot will use more power and it’s a smaller battery, so depending on reticle and brightness I’m recommending one to three months. With SROs it’s kinda the same thing. I’ve had ‘em die in 1.5 months and live for 6-8 months depending on use. With Costco Duracell 12 packs of 2032s being $9 I say switch monthly and worry not.

I would switch ACRO P-1 batteries monthly and run high or one level lower with no problems. My P-2 is now almost 14 months, mostly at one-step down from full brightness. It’s on my carry gun now, so the responsible maintain your lifesaving equipment part of me wants to change it to be safe. The “let’s see how far this can go” test and experiment part of me wants to leave it. As I actually put honest thoughts on paper, I’ll probably change it tomorrow and test battery voltage just for a data point. It went well over a year - I’m happy.

HCMs comments on Sig optics is similar to mine. I don’t recall any zero shifts that I’ve seen, but I now call the 1Pro a “lazy” optic because there have been a few occasions it doesn’t want to wake up and work. Usually a good smack gets them going... for real. As for the mounting I’ve never seen a Sig optic come loose from a Sig pistol when it was mounted at the factory. It’s a good system for that.
    Re: Lazy optics - sometimes recoil works too- I think I posted elsewhere we recently had an R1P on one of our longer term guns which required a battery change. The optic didn’t want to turn on afterwards but the officer chose to qualify with irons to get it knocked out. The first stage of our qualification course is three strings of fire at the 1.5 yard line from a bent elbow position, below the the eye line (1, 2, then 3 rounds in 2 second facings/par). Shooter fires his first six rounds then moves to the 3 yard line where we start bringing the gun up to a level and “Que Milagro” his dot has returned like the prodigal son.

Thanks gents, for your reports and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Candidly, a fair number of personnel don't check their weapons and systems until qual time, to include cleaning or even if the dang things are loaded(!) As instructors we typically check status of systems; others need "assistance ".
    Yep. Battle that problem routinely... Not sure some would even know how to disassemble to clean at this point...

Thanks for everyone's input - I really appreciate it and it's exactly why I came here with the request. Really great stuff from you guys! Thanks again!

User Tag List