Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMO For Duty-Carry

@HCM @SoCalDep , and anyone else who cares to comment:
    Have you gentlemen set up a check schedule for the optic/mount, or are you doing everything at qual shooting?
    Thanks in advance

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Have you gentlemen set up a check schedule for the optic/mount, or are you doing everything at qual shooting?
    Thanks in advance
    We recommend witness marking optic screws and advise our people to check they have a dot and that it is co-witnessed with their irons every day before they put on /holster the gun. Some will do that some will not.

We qualify quarterly and locally we’ve started them get on line and do a co-witness check before loading up for qualification.

We’ve seen three Romeo1PRO’s that had zero shift but all were due to internal issues rather than mounting and all were visibly off when the dot was checked via co-witness. The odd thing was all three shifted the dot low left vs co-witness resulting in hits high right. My first thought was that someone had zero the gun to their anticipation or grip error but all three officers are 90% or better shooters.

We are issuing Romeo1PRO and Optics which are direct mounted to the P320 slide. There are no plates, the screws used are fairly beefy and come with thread locker. While the Romeo one pro optic window can be vulnerable to drops and crush, the direct mounting system on the guns is very robust. I’ve not seen a mounting issue with the system. I think a more robust optic like the Romeo2 with this mounting system would be truly “duty ready.”

Thank you sir. I am a bit envious of your quarterly shooting schedule, but it addresses the issues of “systems check”. Maybe do the same on a 6 month schedule.
    And certainly concur that direct mount is desirable-takes out one failure point. My understanding is that Glock has direct mill now for several optics-ACRO and Trijicon-with more coming for agency purchase.
    You’ve got me thinking that maybe putting out a recommended routine of before duty drawing to a “sighted ready” on a safe backstop might be of value…)

Small agency with only instructors/swat using optics so far- 320 Carry with TLR-7a and direct milled 509Tx2. Instructed daily checks are witness marks on mount screw and zero adjustment, confirm dot position relative to irons. Uniform holster is 7360RDS, plainclothes is Red River Tactical kydex pancake w/ SLS style retention.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Thanks in advance
    Our monthly qual requirement for the first year is partially to check for mounting issues and then to reinforce fundamentals with the dot.

Site Supporter
    Thank you sir. I am a bit envious of your quarterly shooting schedule, but it addresses the issues of “systems check”. Maybe do the same on a 6 month schedule.
    And certainly concur that direct mount is desirable-takes out one failure point. My understanding is that Glock has direct mill now for several optics-ACRO and Trijicon-with more coming for agency purchase.
    You’ve got me thinking that maybe putting out a recommended routine of before duty drawing to a “sighted ready” on a safe backstop might be of value…)
    So part of that is an equipment check and part of that is to get them doing at least one rep per day of presenting the gun and finding the dot.

I actually recommend they do one drive presentation when they put the gun on for the day and one presentation when they take it out of the whole store to put it away at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So part of that is an equipment check and part of that is to get them doing at least one rep per day of presenting the gun and finding the dot.

I actually recommend they do one drive presentation when they put the gun on for the day and one presentation when they take it out of the whole store to put it away at the end of the day.
    Do you recommend power off at storage, or have it constantly on?

With P1s, we powered off, but that was a bit awkward.

Site Supporter
    Do you recommend power off at storage, or have it constantly on?

With P1s, we powered off, but that was a bit awkward.
    Constant on, though the R1P, R2 and R0 have shake awake and they should be in shake awake mode. Battery change every 6 months.

Recommended carry setting is one down from maximum. We recommend they turn it all the way up (dot will flash) then down 1.

If there is no dot during the daily check, remedial actions for end users are:

1) Ensure optic is on.
    2) Tighten battery cap
    3) change battery

If it still doesn’t work, iron sights, contact FI/Armorer.

Thanks for the detailed information.
    It does seem like you’ve thought it through. I perform an Armorer check on my personal guns twice a year-around 4 July and New Years. Looks like a battery swap will be added to that checklist. Departments usually do yearly.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the detailed information.
    It does seem like you’ve thought it through. I perform an Armorer check on my personal guns twice a year-around 4 July and New Years. Looks like a battery swap will be added to that checklist. Departments usually do yearly.
    Your optic and its battery size will dictate. We are using pistol optics that have 1632 batteries. For 2032 battery optics like our Aimpoint and SIG carbine optics we do battery changes once a year.

User Tag List