Thread: P226 for Production

P226 for Production

I want a P226 for USPSA production class. I was originally thinking if a 9 mm but just found a great deal on a 40. Any reason to not get it and load the 40 down or get a conversion barrel? The slide isn't marked with any caliber.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I want a P226 for USPSA production class. I was originally thinking if a 9 mm but just found a great deal on a 40. Any reason to not get it and load the 40 down or get a conversion barrel? The slide isn't marked with any caliber.

My only theoretical concern would be reliability. To stay competitive against 9 mm you'd need to have a pretty soft 40 load; will it cycle well?
    I don't know anything about conversion barrels.

If you get a .40 and install a 9mm conversion barrel it will not be legal in USPSA Production. It might not be a big deal at a local club level match but it will get you bumped to Open/Limited at a level II match.
    Last edited by dsa; 09-19-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Grammer

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    If you get a .40 and install a 9mm conversion barrel it will not be legal in USPSA Production. It might not be a big deal at a local club level match but it will get you bumped to Open/Limited at a level II match.
    Are we 100% sure on this? I was told that you can't do it with a Glock 35 as the slide is marked 40 S&W. I was told that if the slide isn't marked with a particular caliber, then it was legal.

Are we 100% sure on this? I was told that you can't do it with a Glock 35 as the slide is marked 40 S&W. I was told that if the slide isn't marked with a particular caliber, then it was legal.
    I am new to USPSA, started shooting in January of this year. I attended a RO level I class earlier this year and the scenario you described came up in class. Kevin Imel, the instructor, referred those in attendance to the following rule:

USPSA Handgun Competition Rules: Appendix D4 21.3:

"BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may
    replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel
    which is of the same length, contour and caliber as
    the original barrel for that model of gun."

Here is a link to the rules:http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010Handg...sProof3web.pdf

IF you reload you will be fine. You can always re spring the gun with a 9mm spring (from a 226 in 9mm or a wolf spring). However are you dead set on the Sig. The DA SA is a handicap as is the top heavy slide and the high bore axis. I used to love sigs but they are harder to shoot fast. That said you can do a lot ot slick up the trigger and get the short reset conversion from the factory. I did on a Sig 226 I own. But generally its just a safe queen for me.
    I would say get a GLock 34 or an M&P Pro.

John's duty gun is a Sig 220.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    John's duty gun is a Sig 220.
    That make sense then. If it were me I would just get some 10 ruond 45 mags for the 220 and shoot limited 10.
    Pat

User Tag List