Page 88 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

My search-fu is some terrifically weak sauce, but a guy at work said something that, if true, I'd completely missed in all this. According to him, even though a pistol's brace was replaced by a buffer tube, one would also have to remove any optic & WML to be compliant...is there some point system bs to all this or is my water cooler source mistaken?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    My search-fu is some terrifically weak sauce, but a guy at work said something that, if true, I'd completely missed in all this. According to him, even though a brace was replaced by a buffer tube, one would also have to remove any optic & WML to be compliant...is some point system bs to all this or is my water cooler source mistaken?
    Not true.

There is nothing about a weapon mounted light that indicates an intention to shoulder the gun. Many holster-carried handguns have weapon mounted lights.

The optics at issue are those having eye relief which would require shouldering the weapon to be useable. An unmagnified red dot with unlimited eye relief is a completely safe choice. A pistol scope with eye relief reauiring the gun to be held at arms length should also be fine. Iron sights which require shouldering the gun to be useful are a bad idea (most rifle iron backup sights would be a problem), but if the iron sights are useable at arms length, they should be okay.

My search-fu is some terrifically weak sauce, but a guy at work said something that, if true, I'd completely missed in all this. According to him, even though a pistol's brace was replaced by a buffer tube, one would also have to remove any optic & WML to be compliant...is there some point system bs to all this or is my water cooler source mistaken?
    It is not a point system per se... it's more like " its a sbr if we decide it is..." but as of now to be compliant you need to only have a sight on the gun that could be used when held like a pistol and other accessories that indicate two handed use could be found to be problematic.... supposedly.... who really knows.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Wow, thanks for such quick responses! So a DP Pro on a cheekweld PCC is: meh, maybe?

Couple more approved from the 1/13-1/14 batch.

Site Supporter
    Wow, thanks for such quick responses! So a DP Pro on a cheekweld PCC is: meh, maybe?

There was a point system in a prior draft of the brave rule but it was scrapped / not included in the actual published rule.

Even if it had been implemented it only addressed “rifle optics” such as LPVO and prism optics like the ACOG. Red dots like the DPP are common pistol optics. Not a factor.

Still have a bunch from the 1/13-14 submission still floating out there.

Pistol Brace Amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Still have a bunch from the 1/13-14 submission still floating out there.
    1/17… 3 out of 5 came back.

Two that didn’t were Anderson AR builds.

PSA AR build was the first (3/3), four days later was an AK-P… then the M&P15-22 pistol came back on St Patricks Day.

And in other news, I’m still not seeing trust approvals and Franco is still dead.

Haga Defense has a new buttpad coming that is a direct replacement for a Tailhook:

https://hagadefense.com/buttpad-for-...ck-conversion/

I may go this route on one of mine if I can’t find a RRA entry stock - it currently has a Tailhook on a pistol length Sabertube RE and a LAW folder.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-29-2023 at 08:23 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Still have a few from 1/13-1/14 still floating out there.

User Tag List