Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

So, all the info I've seen thus far (proposed rules, etc) deals with single-projectile braced 'pistols'. I haven't seen anything about the braced Tac-14s/Shockwaves (other than the bit about having to measure them with the brace folded if possible). Anyone else seen anything about that?

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

So, I have two pistols that were braced from the factory; S&W M&P15-22 and PSA AK-P. How would I Form 1 those, if that was the case? I’m not the manufacturer nor am I making any change to them… ATF interpretation is what changed. S&W and PSA made them, and they aren’t filing the Form 1 for me. Considering that, I’m guessing the original manufacturer markings be good to go instead of an additional engraving? S&W is polymer, so a little less of a headache to worry about. But these little “issues” are why this shouldn’t be going thru, as it legitimately is lying on the Form 1.

Also, I have a TAC-14 with a brace. Since it isn’t a pistol, I’m guessing they are using the term “pistol brace” loosely. If the brace is redefined as a stock… then it would make a SBS. I like the other firearm status, since it technically is legal in NJ (still have family and friends there). But I also like the Magpul stock on my 870 Police.

I have 6 firearms with pistol braces. That would be $1,200 in tax stamps. Unfortunately, the .45 AR I have is a rifle, so would be on the hook for that when I SBR it. While all of mine were purchased for the specific reason they are not a rifle, I wouldn’t mind having stocks on those. ME law allows for loaded pistols in your vehicle with carry license, but there is a hunting law that forbids loaded long guns in vehicles. That is a big thing, since I’m Federal L/E and keep an AR pistol in my truck (suppressed and secured).

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Meh, beyond the potential $200 savings. Either remove the brace or Form 1. If you Form 1 it with or without the tax, you’re on a “list” anyways.

I’m of the opinion that braces were a FU approach anyways. And yes, I have several. All but one or two would be amnestied, and the one or two would be converted to a non-braced format. And if the amnesty doesn’t happen, they will be converted to a non-brace format until I can Form 1 them.

This could save me some money on items I was going to Form 1 anyways.
    Your statement is exactly why this is all arbitrary and capricious. These "rules" do absolutely nothing for public safety. It's just flat out government over reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Considering that, I’m guessing the original manufacturer markings be good to go instead of an additional engraving?
    Form 1 means you (or your trust/LLC/whatever) is the maker. You'd have to get the guns engraved with the maker's info.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Form 1 means you (or your trust/LLC/whatever) is the maker. You'd have to get the guns engraved with the maker's info.
    That’s the issue as I see it… I didn’t make either of those “SBRs.” S&W and PSA made them, respectfully.

For me to put myself down as the manufacturer/maker, is incorrect. That’s going to be a huge issue with this.

Putting the ATF’s info on the receivers would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    That’s the issue as I see it… I didn’t make either of those “SBRs.” S&W and PSA made them, respectfully.

For me to put myself down as the manufacturer/maker, is incorrect. That’s going to be a huge issue with this.

Putting the ATF’s info on the receivers would be more appropriate.
    Yeah I see what you're getting at. IMO if they're going to declare braces to be stocks they should really come up with a different form for registering pre-existing firearms where it's just doing a tax-free amnesty registration and nothing's being made.

Do I get the $200 back for the Form 1 I just filed to get ahead of the new rules? Guess I’ll hold off on filing the Form 1 for the other one I was about to pay for until they definitively decide on what’s going on here. I might SBR a few other lowers if I can get some free tax stamps out of this. I’m already on the NFA registry for other things so I don’t care that this will “get me put on a list.” I don’t know about everyone else’s experiences with eForms, but the site barely works for me most of the time. I can’t imagine it’ll function at all if four million applications suddenly get filed.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I wish I had hit that $1B jackpot on Powerball, just so I could've positioned myself to be the test case on this.

Sadly I didn't, and like every other honest working stiff out there I'll have to bend the knee and kiss the ring. This is fucking bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I can’t imagine it’ll function at all if four million applications suddenly get filed.
    Feature not a bug. At worst (from ATF's POV) Congress gives them more money to spend on the NFA branch: more people, more money for IT, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I wish I had hit that $1B jackpot on Powerball, just so I could've positioned myself to be the test case on this.

Sadly I didn't, and like every other honest working stiff out there I'll have to bend the knee and kiss the ring. This is fucking bullshit.
    If you still want to be the test case I'm good for $20!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List