Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1195

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    When? While I applaud your optimism, I would stick to "if," until the case is.fully litigated. This one may even go all the way up to the Supreme Court.
    If it were on the merits I’d agree.

But the administrative procedures act issues here with publishing one rule for comment and then implementing a significantly different rule is pretty much a guaranteed loser.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I posted early in this thread that I was curious what would happen to people who participated in the amnesty registration if the rule was vacated/overturned. If the Form 1s are approved pursuant to the rule, and the rule ceases to exist, are the Form 1s invalid? Then what happens to those who replaced their braces with stocks once the approved Form 1s came in? Those people will ACTUALLY have unregistered SBRs, which is what the entire rule fiasco was purported to address.
    I.A.N.A.L., but, once properly registered as a legal SBR, and then stocked, (or not,) would it not remain a legal SBR? Unprocessed paperwork may leave some in a kind of limbo. (This is only academic, for me, because I decided that I wanted my DDM4 V7P to remain a legal handgun, rather than an NFA long gun. Texas law threw long guns under the bus, during the 2021 legislative session, so, I can legally carry a handgun more places than I can legally carry other types of firearms.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I posted early in this thread that I was curious what would happen to people who participated in the amnesty registration if the rule was vacated/overturned. If the Form 1s are approved pursuant to the rule, and the rule ceases to exist, are the Form 1s invalid? Then what happens to those who replaced their braces with stocks once the approved Form 1s came in? Those people will ACTUALLY have unregistered SBRs, which is what the entire rule fiasco was purported to address.
    I know a few folks who took the free amnesty registration to register the weapons to themselves as an individual. Then they sorted out an NFA trust, and Form 4 transferred them to the trust for the $200 each it would have cost to Form 1 them normally anyway. That way they've got all of those weapons on a stamp-paid Form 4, no fuss no muss (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I.A.N.A.L., but, once properly registered as a legal SBR, and then stocked, (or not,) would it not remain a legal SBR? Unprocessed paperwork may leave some in a kind of limbo.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think we’re in uncharted territory here and anyone giving a definitive answer would just be guessing.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Did they ever sort out the status of braced shotguns? IIRC they were part of the ban but weren’t eligible for a “free” stamp?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If a brace isn’t being considered a stock… should be fine on a TAC-14 again.

Of course after I Form 1ed my TAC-14. But think stock is better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Did they ever sort out the status of braced shotguns? IIRC they were part of the ban but weren’t eligible for a “free” stamp?
    Nothing to sort out.

The Tac-14 /shockwaves were never “pistols” they were / are “other firearms.”

Because / smoothbores.

It comes down to whether a brace is legally considered an “accessory” or a “stock.”

If a brace is an “accessory” as ATF previously ruled, then adding an “accessory” doesn’t change the status of the “other firearm.” Just like adding a sling or a light.

If a brace is a “stock” as ATF now argues, adding a stock to a smoothbore “other firearm” with a barrel < 18” changes it into a short barrel shotgun.

This just popped up in my email.

https://thenewamerican.com/us/court-...ol-brace-rule/

Not sure if it has been posted as I'm not following this.

If it has, disregard.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Tac-14 /shockwaves were never “pistols” they were / are “other firearms.”

Because / smoothbores.
    Ok, that's why they weren't eligible. I forgot they were "others" instead of pistols. Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I.A.N.A.L., but, once properly registered as a legal SBR, and then stocked, (or not,) would it not remain a legal SBR? Unprocessed paperwork may leave some in a kind of limbo. (This is only academic, for me, because I decided that I wanted my DDM4 V7P to remain a legal handgun, rather than an NFA long gun. Texas law threw long guns under the bus, during the 2021 legislative session, so, I can legally carry a handgun more places than I can legally carry other types of firearms.)
    No, the law and ATF interpretation of it is really clear with lots of cases, letters, examples, etc - if an NFA firearm (SBR for example) is bought or restored into non-NFA configuration (a 16" barrel is affixed, stock is removed, etc), the firearm is now out of the purview of the NFA. So if you have an AR SBR and put a 16" upper on it, it is no longer an SBR, you no longer need to file any paperwork to take it to another state, you don't even need to file a form 4 to sell it...so long as it's not in NFA configuration. If you want to remove it from the NFA, you need to send a letter to the ATF asking them to strike it from the registry, which I would do, if I were planning on selling one of my SBRs...I'd file the paperwork, slap a 16" upper on it or remove the buttstock if it was originally sold as a pistol or "other", and sell it like a normal title 1 gun.

If you bought a CZ Scorpion as a pistol with a brace and filed paperwork to SBR it; if you remove the stock and re-install the brace, it's back to it's pistol configuration and no longer an SBR and you can do whatever with it that you would or could normally do with a pistol. Just don't have the stock with it, and if you do decide to bring the stock with it if you cross state lines, you should file a .20 just to cover your bases even if you don't plan on putting the stock on it again.

The only real irreversible change as far as I know is a machine gun; once a machine gun always a machine gun. That, and once a long gun/rifle, always a long gun/rifle; you can't convert it into a pistol. Anything else though (SBR, SBS, AOW); once it's restored to be out of it's NFA condition, it's good to go without needing NFA paperwork to follow it around.

User Tag List