Page 47 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

I thought I asked this, but I can't find the post. Does anyone know, for sure, whether publication is still within the control of DOJ under some delivery rule, or whether DOJ did everything that needs to happen on 1/13 and now publication is supposed to be a ministerial process that just plays out? If we're still wondering about publication middle of next week, then something is definitely going on.

(My initial post had a tinfoil hat theory about DOJ deciding this was DOA and just collecting as many submissions as possible without ever publishing. Probably best that it didn't show up.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I don’t usuall watch MAC videos, but this one came across my feed. No bueno.

This is what was being discussed up thread.

As usual, Mac provides a bunch b******t instead of usable information or references to where the sections in question can be found. Don’t give him more clicks.

Check out the FRAC Instagram page @Fracaction for details.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM;[URL="tel:1444036"
    1444036[/URL]]This is what was being discussed up thread.

As usual, Mac provides a bunch b******t instead of usable information or references to where the sections in question can be found. Don’t give him more clicks.

Check out the FRAC Instagram page @Fracaction for details.
    Yes, I normally avoid him, but this was the first I heard of this. I don’t Instagram or FB. See my edited post above for second video with details.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I thought I asked this, but I can't find the post. Does anyone know, for sure, whether publication is still within the control of DOJ under some delivery rule, or whether DOJ did everything that needs to happen on 1/13 and now publication is supposed to be a ministerial process that just plays out? If we're still wondering about publication middle of next week, then something is definitely going on.

(My initial post had a tinfoil hat theory about DOJ deciding this was DOA and just collecting as many submissions as possible without ever publishing. Probably best that it didn't show up.)
    Actually, you may not be wrong. I’m wondering if AFT is simply going through the motions to appease administration.

To answer your question, when an agency submits a regulation to the office of the federal register, the office of the federal register, usually displays it in their public viewing room within 2 days. Nowadays the public viewing room is a webpage. The rule is then displayed for three business days prior to it being actually published at 6 am the next business day.

The reason for this process is to allow agencies to edit, modify, change, correct or pull a regulation before it is actually published.

https://www.federalregister.gov/read...ing-to-publish

When is this document going to publish?
    A question we get asked pretty often is “When is this document I read/heard about going to publish?” And the answer seems a bit secretive. According to 1 CFR 17.1: “…Upon receipt, each document shall be held for confidential processing until it is filed for public inspection.” So until the document is made available to the public via Public Inspection, the Office of the Federal Register is not permitted to discuss anything about it to the public.
    The issuing agency has its own communications timeline. Often an agency will notify the public that it has created a document and sent it for publication in the Federal Register. However, until it is officially posted on Public Inspection, our office cannot discuss it. With a typical publication timeline of 3 business days, usually we know about a document publishing about two days before the public does, but it’s not our document, so we can’t discuss it.
    In fact, a submitting agency can request that the document be pulled from publication. The reasons for such a request vary greatly. Some of the reasons are:
    The document needs last minute revisions.
    The document does not need to be published any longer.
    The agency wants more time to consider public comments.
    If you want the most up-to-date information on what is available to the public, check out the online Public Inspection Desk. You can receive notifications via email by subscribing at www.federalregister.gov.
    Follow us on Twitter @FedRegister!
    See also:

https://www.federalregister.gov/uplo.../01/fr_101.pdf

https://www.federalregister.gov/uplo...ng_process.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fly out;[URL="tel:1444035"
    1444035[/URL]]I thought I asked this, but I can't find the post. Does anyone know, for sure, whether publication is still within the control of DOJ under some delivery rule, or whether DOJ did everything that needs to happen on 1/13 and now publication is supposed to be a ministerial process that just plays out? If we're still wondering about publication middle of next week, then something is definitely going on.

I won’t comment on the speculation other than to say myself and some colleagues have held a somewhat similar opinion.

If it never publishes, and the AFT withdraws it, it will give them the opportunity to use the three new ways to say “NO” to your “free stamp” eForm1 submission that were added on the say day they opened the amnesty. While “disapproved” was the only “NO” answer, now the options include Abandoned, Revoked, and Returned Without Action if I remember correctly.

I’m sure they’ll just permanently delete the record of all brace submissions though. I mean, gun registry’s are unconstitutional.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Does anyone know if an HK 416 22lr pistol would be legal as long as there is no faux buffer tube installed? I’d rather not register it. I can’t find any 16” uppers or barrels for it. Could this still be sold as a pistol even? I was planning on selling this thing anyway now I’m not sure if it’s considered to be a SBR in the ATFs view.
    Thanks.

Attachment 100436
    If it never had a brace, a faux buffer, or any other rearward extension that is not required for functioning, then this is a pistol. However, if a brace or faux buffer was ever installed, I encourage contacting an attorney admitted in your state to discuss further.

Broken record disclaimer: I am not your lawyer, and am posting here to provide general information only. Consult a lawyer admitted in your state for specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    There is a much better email address for eForms issues. I can’t remember it with absolute certainty, but I have it at work. I’ll drop it here for you Monday.

To answers your last question on prints, yes, you will have to resubmit prints again on a new application. The cover letter they email you after submitting has your control number on it. If they kick back your form (I don’t believe they will so long as you uploaded the new RPQ as well), you would need to send in new prints to match your new submission control number.

I would be shocked if they disapproved your form for having the old version RPQ and the new version RPQ both uploaded. That is, unless you get an inspector having a bad Monday and wanting to flex on you. I’ve seen things get approved that shouldn’t have, and things get denied for absolutely petty reasons. All you can do is shrug, accept it, and start over. It’s the one good thing about paper forms, you get to make corrections for stupid simple mistakes everyone missed the first time.
    Thanks. I’d appreciate an email address that someone actually responds to. I dread calling them because the last time I had questions about an eForms issue (my zip code auto populates the wrong county and eForms doesn’t let me change it) I spent several days calling multiple numbers and being bounced around from person to person. Eventually no one was able to actually answer my question so I went ahead and submitted. My form was approved so the issue wasn’t actually an issue but it would have been nice for someone at the ATF to be able to tell me that. At one point someone I was speaking to thought I was asking about my ETrace account (the system that allows LE to find the first individual point of sale of a firearm recovered in an investigation) for work and I had to explain that I was calling about a personal eForms issue that wasn’t work related. If you can provide me with a better email address, I would greatly prefer that to having to call them again.

I expected that was the case regarding fingerprints. I was just hoping I was wrong because my girlfriend, the other responsible person on my trust, is in another part of the country for work. She won’t be home for a few months so getting another set of fingerprint cards done will be logistically tough. I’ll contact SilencerShop to see if they can do the .eft files of our saved prints from the kiosk.

Here's a brief history of the ATF. It's not pretty.
    https://ammo.com/articles/atf-histor...lphabet-agency

All told, there are over 20,000 firearms laws and regulations on the books at the state and federal level. Many of these contradict each other or are written with a lot of room for interpretation. Gun owners and gun dealers are easy prey for a corrupt and lawless federal agency that wants to twist its arms outside the bounds of the law.
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 01-22-2023 at 05:32 AM.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Idk if it's been posted yet but new info keeps coming forward and now it sounds like if your IMPORTED pistol came in with a brace then it's seen as a sbr and not legal under the 922r law. Only options are to destroy or turn in to the ATF. Not sure how they would know if your Skorpion had a factory installed brace or one done at the gun store or at home

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Idk if it's been posted yet but new info keeps coming forward and now it sounds like if your IMPORTED pistol came in with a brace then it's seen as a sbr and not legal under the 922r law. Only options are to destroy or turn in to the ATF. Not sure how they would know if your Skorpion had a factory installed brace or one done at the gun store or at home

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    That’s what we’ve been talking about for the last two or three pages.

User Tag List