Page 69 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

Site Supporter
    Extremely late to the party.

I have never ventured into the world of braces, SBRs, AOWs, machine guns, suppressors because of a lack of time/talent/treasure to acquire and/or navigate the legalities.

IIRC, when I worked in an office from 98 to the sunset of the AWB in 2004, there were zero freestanding AWB cases charged in a district that was a perineal top 5 office terms of prosecutions re firearms offenses ( mostly Felons with a smattering of drug users, aliens etc.)

In my district/region -The regulation side of ATF is busy enough keeping honest people honest. The enforcement side is busy enough bringing cases against violent folks and other worthy targets on a regular basis.

I am sure there have been a few outliers-somewhere. I am sure those outliers did/can/will and should, to the extent applicable where legally supportable under theirs facts/circumstances, avail themselves of any and all legal remedies.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Question Crikets!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    AWB cases charged in a district that was a perineal top 5 office terms of prosecutions re firearms offenses ( mostly Felons with a smattering of drug users, aliens etc.)
    This is mainly just to point it out, but I figured you might appreciate the correction in case you were to use it somewhere else...

Perineal.... as pertaining to the perineum...

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 8.10.35 PM.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  39.8 KB

You might just be looking for "perennial..." but maybe not....

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

You might just be looking for "perennial..." but maybe not....
    Perineal would be the right word for a tainted office.

I have a theory. Weapons registered that can be easily identified as being sold as pistols will clear quickly, others may not be so fast. Example: SIG MPXes were only sold as complete braced pistols or as rifles, not as stripped lowers - so they will be fast. Aero lowers were mostly stripped, so they will trigger more investigation.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have a theory. Weapons registered that can be easily identified as being sold as pistols will clear quickly, others may not be so fast. Example: SIG MPXes were only sold as complete braced pistols or as rifles, not as stripped lowers - so they will be fast. Aero lowers were mostly stripped, so they will trigger more investigation.
    You’ve got a bunch of civil servants and / or possibly contractors expecting millions of applications to be processed.

No one has the time or bandwidth for anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You’ve got a bunch of civil servants and / or possibly contractors expecting millions of applications to be processed.

No one has the time or bandwidth for anything like that.
    It would not surprise me in the least if skyrocketing processing times are considered a feature rather than a bug by the folks spearheading this.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    It would not surprise me in the least if skyrocketing processing times are considered a feature rather than a bug by the folks spearheading this.
    it doesn’t benefit them with the “amnesty” registrations you are GTG once you file and you already have possession of your item. Supposedly they are using a separate pool of people to do them vs the standard NFA examiners. Who ever is doing them they have already approved some of the post Jan 13/ Pre Jan 31 applications.

I’m more concerned about the AFT’s insistence on using the word “forbearance” instead of Amnesty.

Forbearance generally means the action of refraining from or delaying exercising a legal right, especially enforcing the payment of a debt.

To my knowledge only Congress can waive a tax and an “Amnesty” requires an act of congress. My guess is AFT is using some obscure administrative authority which allows them to defer collection of the NFA tax. So will those who register get hit up by a future administration for the $200 per stamp ?
    Last edited by HCM; 02-09-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Alcohol tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    it doesn’t benefit them with the “amnesty” registrations you are GTG once you file and you already have possession of your item. Supposedly they are using a separate pool of people to do them vs the standard NFA examiners. Who ever is doing them they have already approved some of the post Jan 13/ Pre Jan 31 applications.

I’m more concerned about the AFT’s insistence on using the word “forbearance” instead of Amnesty.

Forbearance generally means the action of refraining from or delaying exercising a legal right, especially enforcing the payment of a debt.

To my knowledge only Congress can waive a tax and an “Amnesty” requires an act of congress. My guess is AFT is using some obscure administrative authority which allows them to defer collection of the NFA tax. So will those who register get hit up by a future administration for the $200 per stamp ?
    I think you are giving the architects of this waaaay too much credit - with regard to both the proper use of English and application of law. They have proven themselves to be quite inept and careless at both.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

User Tag List