Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Pistols: Underrated, Underpriced, and Readily Available

New: HK VP40 (but there not exactly giving them away...) New Berettas (both 92s and APXs) seem pretty reasonably priced.

Glocks, either refurbished turn-ins, or new with LEO/First Defenders/Responders/GSSF discount.

To date, I've been pretty unimpressed with the outlier lee expensive entry foreign and domestic offerings.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    New: HK VP40 (but there not exactly giving them away...) New Berettas (both 92s and APXs) seem pretty reasonably priced.

Glocks, either refurbished turn-ins, or new with LEO/First Defenders/Responders/GSSF discount.

To date, I've been pretty unimpressed with the outlier lee expensive entry foreign and domestic offerings.

Best, Jon
    I am really impressed with the VP9, lots of features for the $$

It will be interesting to see how the PSA Dagger holds up. $299 is a sweet price for a gun that fits in the same holster as a G19.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I will nominate Third-Generation S&W autos, as a group. One does need to do the homework on which are the best of the bunch. I like the series that started as the 3913 and 3914, the “3” indicating stainless steel parts, and the “4” indicating blued steel parts. This model series ended production, IIRC, with the TSW variants, with some improvements.

I missed the 3913 and 3953 that I’d owned, in the Nineties, and started re-buying well-preserved samples about 2018 or 2019. I dealt with the discontinuation of support by accumulating several whole pistols, some take-off parts, and buying some Wolff springs, which were new, or NOS. The panic-demic interrupted the supply of ammo, which delayed my vetting of any of mine, but I bought them as much for nostalgia as for serious defensive carry, anyway.

The bargain of the group is the utilitarian Model 908, with an easily-scuffed finish, and less steps in the machining, so the slide is blockier and less refined, in appearance. A 908 might not fit a tightly-fitted holster that was made for a 3913/3914.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm a S&W Third Generation fan as well. Bought a used 5906. Had a 6906 that I used as trade on a firearms purchase years ago. Initially had a model 59 back in mid 70's. I try not to dwell on such things now.......lost loves!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I sent my SD9VE down the river when I realized the firing pin safety plunger hole was drilled horribly rough. That was the source of the roughness in the trigger press. No way to fix it that wouldn't cost more than just buying a better gun. If S&W had bothered to use a sharp drill bit, turned with the right speed and feed for the material, to make that hole, it would have been a good gun after the other things were fixed to make it function rather than having weak ignition and/or deadlining itself without warning. If they were doing it really right, they'd drill it a few thou undersize and ream it. Then it would be really nice.
    I still have painful memories of the original parent gun, the S&W Sigma, mine was a .40. Or should I call it "Stigma?" I didn't buy another S&W semi-auto for almost 20 years after that. The hottest new pistol, in the hottest new caliber. Make me laugh...
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    I’ll nominate the Makarov.

Name:  E003A98E-4892-45AA-A429-97A4D5DE0F83.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  100.6 KB

Rugged, reliable, fixed-barrel accuracy, easy to carry and… [drum roll] DA/SA. No, it’s not 9x19. But, it has a little more pop than .380. If you’re looking for a slim, accurate carry gun in a respectable caliber… could do a lot worse, I think.

Also, I have another pending nomination:

Name:  3B751933-7C4B-4136-96AB-EF58FDA88774.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  35.8 KB

$339. And the trigger feels fantastic. Looking forward to shooting it.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I will nominate Third-Generation S&W autos, as a group. One does need to do the homework on which are the best of the bunch. I like the series that started as the 3913 and 3914, the “3” indicating stainless steel parts, and the “4” indicating blued steel parts. This model series ended production, IIRC, with the TSW variants, with some improvements.

I missed the 3913 and 3953 that I’d owned, in the Nineties, and started re-buying well-preserved samples about 2018 or 2019. I dealt with the discontinuation of support by accumulating several whole pistols, some take-off parts, and buying some Wolff springs, which were new, or NOS. The panic-demic interrupted the supply of ammo, which delayed my vetting of any of mine, but I bought them as much for nostalgia as for serious defensive carry, anyway.

The bargain of the group is the utilitarian Model 908, with an easily-scuffed finish, and less steps in the machining, so the slide is blockier and less refined, in appearance. A 908 might not fit a tightly-fitted holster that was made for a 3913/3914.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I'm a S&W Third Generation fan as well. Bought a used 5906. Had a 6906 that I used as trade on a firearms purchase years ago. Initially had a model 59 back in mid 70's. I try not to dwell on such things now.......lost loves!
    I’ve had 5 singles stack 3rd gens, and am down to 2: a 3913, and a 4516-1 that I think I’ve shot more than anyone previous to my purchase of it. I’ve shot less than a case, BTW.

I love them, they are tremendous pistols. I would carry one for the rest of forever quite happily.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I’ll nominate the Makarov.

Name:  E003A98E-4892-45AA-A429-97A4D5DE0F83.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  100.6 KB

Rugged, reliable, fixed-barrel accuracy, easy to carry and… [drum roll] DA/SA. No, it’s not 9x19. But, it has a little more pop than .380. If you’re looking for a slim, accurate carry gun in a respectable caliber… could do a lot worse, I think.

Also, I have another pending nomination:

Name:  3B751933-7C4B-4136-96AB-EF58FDA88774.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  35.8 KB

$339. And the trigger feels fantastic. Looking forward to shooting it.
    The Makarov used to be really cheap and readily available, as was the ammunition. Very reasonable gun to carry back then.

That has changed, and we no longer have one.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I still have painful memories of the original parent gun, the S&W Sigma, mine was a .40. Or should I call it "Stigma?" I didn't buy another S&W semi-auto for almost 20 years after that. The hottest new pistol, in the hottest new caliber. Make me laugh...
    We used to call them the Smegma.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    My lgs is overstocked on the CZ P-10C. It has most other models too.

Is there a source for parts for G3 Smith and Wesson semi’s? Otherwise they’re not much of a value.

User Tag List