Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Pistols: Underrated, Underpriced, and Readily Available

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    CZ P01/P07
    This one right here. Very easy to conceal a p07

If we're talking about things that perform better than they should, I'm gonna add on the Glock 21.

It should not be more accurate than a stock Kimber or Colt 1911, but it is.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Definitely the Beretta APX. I don't like it as much as my G19, but if I'd started with the APX I probably wouldn't like Glocks so much.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Arex delta and Mossberg MC2C stand out as better Glock clones that get very little attention and are still great value.

The Mossberg is the same design as Glock yet has less parts, doesn't require pulling the trigger to disassemble, true flush fitting mags that hold more rounds than comparable Glock, and optics cut low to allow for standard height sights when using optic. Add in flat trigger good grip texture, lower price, American made and American company plus full length RSA in 48 sized gun.
    Handled an MC2C yesterday at the gun store and it felt real nice. Was about the same width and height as 43x/48 but holds 13 rounds with optional 15 round for not much of a size increase. The reviews on youtube are super favorable to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This one right here. Very easy to conceal a p07

If we're talking about things that perform better than they should, I'm gonna add on the Glock 21.

It should not be more accurate than a stock Kimber or Colt 1911, but it is.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    That was actually my favorite part about the P-07 I carried years ago, compared to a Glock 17 it was like nothing and worked perfectly for my frame. I just won a brand new Raven Phantom for the P-07 on eBay for $20 yesterday, so between that and the $50 rebate it's looking like I'll be going back to CZ after years of being pretty much exclusive to HK except for G19X and P365 I added within the last year. Thinking of getting rid of a bunch of my HK's because simply, they are just too bulky for me to want to conceal regularly. It's unfortunate because they are so well engineered but it seems they are just too much gun for me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I sent my SD9VE down the river when I realized the firing pin safety plunger hole was drilled horribly rough. That was the source of the roughness in the trigger press. No way to fix it that wouldn't cost more than just buying a better gun. If S&W had bothered to use a sharp drill bit, turned with the right speed and feed for the material, to make that hole, it would have been a good gun after the other things were fixed to make it function rather than having weak ignition and/or deadlining itself without warning. If they were doing it really right, they'd drill it a few thou undersize and ream it. Then it would be really nice.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'm on board with the P10C...
    Pretty neat shooter

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Arex delta and Mossberg MC2C stand out as better Glock clones that get very little attention and are still great value.

The Mossberg is the same design as Glock yet has less parts, doesn't require pulling the trigger to disassemble, true flush fitting mags that hold more rounds than comparable Glock, and optics cut low to allow for standard height sights when using optic. Add in flat trigger good grip texture, lower price, American made and American company plus full length RSA in 48 sized gun.
    I have an MC1SC, the relatively short lived G43 clone they brought out right before the Sig 365 changed the market. I picked it up for cheap last year. Quite a nice gun to shoot. The takedown works as advertised and is trivial to do.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have always had a soft spot for $300-400 guns that don't suck. Probably my favorite area to keep up-to-date on.

The easy winner here is the current high availability of basically new police trade in Gen 5 Glock 17s. Yeah, it's a bit over $400, but come on, it's a current-gen Glock. For like $450-500. I spent $650 on my G17 Gen 5 MOS and I was happy to spend it. $450-500 is unreal. And a lot of them have night sights!

As someone noted, the SP2022 was a steal for $400 and I enjoy mine well enough, but they're consistently $550-600 now and I think that's a bit iffy for the gun when you can get so many awesome things in that price bracket. Hell, if you want hammer fired $600-700 gets you a P30 these days and that's easily the better choice, no disrespect to the SP2022. 550-650 gets you most Beretta 92 variants.

My APX for $324 is probably my best gun buy ever. Still a great deal now, both the original and APX A1, readily available in the $400-450 range. Robustly built and very reliable. The M&P 2.0s I got in 2018-2019 for like $350 new were up there as amazing deals too, my M&P45 4.6" and M&P9 Compact 2.0 combined cost me less than $700.

Gen 1 M&Ps in .40 (I won't touch the 9mms due to early accuracy issues) are like $300. Get some Gen 2 backstraps and maybe a little grip tape for the front and you've got an accurate, tough as hell, reliable as hell, police quality gun that shoots .40 the way some guns shoot 9mm. Great pistols, terminally underrated. There's a reason a Gen 1 M&P .40 is my field gun. Cheap enough not to baby it, tough and reliable enough to count on. Reminds me of a used .38 revolver in the 1990s.

I am very curious about the Canik, Mossberg, and Arex options but just haven't seen enough data points to be confident they run. That's probably not fair to Canik, there's plenty of data on those, but I still haven't been sold. Still awful cheap for what seems to be a solid running gun though. The Masada looks sleek and runs around $400, but again, not a lot of data points on how they run hard.

Pistol-Forum finally got into my blood so these days I am more likely to wait and pick a $500-700 gun (in others words, I've been drinking the Glock flavor-ade pretty thirstily) but it's nice that even in a time of supply chain pinch and inflation there seem to be a lot of solid choices.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have always had a soft spot for $300-400 guns that don't suck. Probably my favorite area to keep up-to-date on.

The easy winner here is the current high availability of basically new police trade in Gen 5 Glock 17s. Yeah, it's a bit over $400, but come on, it's a current-gen Glock. For like $450-500. I spent $650 on my G17 Gen 5 MOS and I was happy to spend it. $450-500 is unreal. And a lot of them have night sights!

As someone noted, the SP2022 was a steal for $400 and I enjoy mine well enough, but they're consistently $550-600 now and I think that's a bit iffy for the gun when you can get so many awesome things in that price bracket. Hell, if you want hammer fired $600-700 gets you a P30 these days and that's easily the better choice, no disrespect to the SP2022. 550-650 gets you most Beretta 92 variants.

My APX for $324 is probably my best gun buy ever. Still a great deal now, both the original and APX A1, readily available in the $400-450 range. Robustly built and very reliable. The M&P 2.0s I got in 2018-2019 for like $350 new were up there as amazing deals too, my M&P45 4.6" and M&P9 Compact 2.0 combined cost me less than $700.

Gen 1 M&Ps in .40 (I won't touch the 9mms due to early accuracy issues) are like $300. Get some Gen 2 backstraps and maybe a little grip tape for the front and you've got an accurate, tough as hell, reliable as hell, police quality gun that shoots .40 the way some guns shoot 9mm. Great pistols, terminally underrated. There's a reason a Gen 1 M&P .40 is my field gun. Cheap enough not to baby it, tough and reliable enough to count on. Reminds me of a used .38 revolver in the 1990s.

I am very curious about the Canik, Mossberg, and Arex options but just haven't seen enough data points to be confident they run. That's probably not fair to Canik, there's plenty of data on those, but I still haven't been sold. Still awful cheap for what seems to be a solid running gun though. The Masada looks sleek and runs around $400, but again, not a lot of data points on how they run hard.

Pistol-Forum finally got into my blood so these days I am more likely to wait and pick a $500-700 gun (in others words, I've been drinking the Glock flavor-ade pretty thirstily) but it's nice that even in a time of supply chain pinch and inflation there seem to be a lot of solid choices.
    Can you explain what a police trade in gun is? Is that when a police department trades in a firearm for a different one for whatever reason? Or is it when a police officer retires and trades in his pistol to a gun store for something different?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trstn View Post
    Can you explain what a police trade in gun is? Is that when a police department trades in a firearm for a different one for whatever reason? Or is it when a police officer retires and trades in his pistol to a gun store for something different?
    Typically departmental trade ins. I was at my Glock blue label distributors a week ago and they had a big table full of Gen3/4 Glocks for $399 each. Often these guns have a lot of exterior wear but haven't been shot much.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

User Tag List