Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth that needs to die: You cannot outshoot your gun

Site Supporter

Myth that needs to die: You cannot outshoot your gun

My alternate title is "Why Colt 1911s are the worst", but I acknowledge the positive experiences of some folks here

Maybe it would have been "Why you need an aftermarket barrel."

Anyhoo:

I am not a terrific marksman as you will see looking at these targets. Every now and then the sun shines and i can get a hundo on a B8 at 20 yards...but even so it is VERY possible for me to be capable of better accuracy than the capabilities of some guns.

Case in point, I bought a NIB Colt 9mm Commander some while back. It had absolutely zero contact between the slide stop pin and lower lugs. The gun rattles like crazy (and you would think that meant it was reliable...but you found another gun myth that needs to die. it wasn't reliable either) so the slide to frame fit is atrocious. I fired a 5 round group at 20 yards with the stock pencil barrel today just for the lulz. The gun has a 3.5lb trigger and is series 80 so I like to think my trigger job was decent. I hit the target twice.

Immediately following, I re-installed the Ed Brown barrel I had fitted shortly after buying the gun and deeming it a tire fire.

I fired 5 more shots of the same ammo. Not bad, the gun seems to shoot a touch low and the novak front sight I have inbound will hopefully fix that.

Also attached as the third photo is a 5 shot group with a CZ P09. That's about comparable to what I can do with a rimfire so I expect it's about realistic for me. Much tighter. The CZ has a Primary Machine threaded barrel (for a comp one of these days)

Here's a ten round group with a rimfire beretta 92.

All this to say...it is very possible you can outshoot your gun if it was just complete and total ass from the factory. And that's more common than some people think. Lots of M&P9s have terrible accuracy, most production 1911s have poor barrel, bushing or slide fit.

Barrels matter and this Colt pencil barrel had zero lockup and shoot like the barrel wasn't even rifled. I probably ought to have sent the gun back to Colts, but given thay I've had a dovetail cut, installed a new safety, done a trigger job...nah. I did the new barrel too.

Now I just need someone who can weld and recut the frame rails and I probably ought to put a new bushing in, because even with hard lower lug contact, the gun is handily outdone by a 450 dollar plastic TDA

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

(You can see your targets through the smoke at Rink’s?)

I agree - some guns are inherently inaccurate. My old .38 Super LW Commander was one, until I had it rebarreled.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Error is additive.

The margin of error in the ammunition adds to the margin of error in the mechanical accuracy of the handgun. Both add to the margin of error of the shooter.

Generally the pink squishy bit behind the gun is the largest source of error. Sometimes it's not.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Really early on, I went from shooting orange sized groups to shooting lime sized groups, repeatably back and forth, by changing from pretty much any ball ammo I could get to Hornady Critical Defense 165gr in my Beretta 96D police trade-in. A buddy found the same with my gun, and found that the same ammo also tuned up his .40's accuracy quite nicely.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Error is additive.

The margin of error in the ammunition adds to the margin of error in the mechanical accuracy of the handgun. Both add to the margin of error of the shooter.

Generally the pink squishy bit behind the gun is the largest source of error. Sometimes it's not.
    I also trend towards the "Only accurate pistols are interesting" mindset with all else being equal.

Granted sometimes accuracy with a handgun is a strange thing. I find myself "interested" in guns like the Glock 26 which surely aren't as accurate as my Beretta 92 with the Langdon goodies and the red dot, but are far more accurate and easy to shoot than I'd expect.

My experiences with the M&P 1.0 generation of full sized 9mm's proved to me that there are guns with truly bad accuracy that make me look worse than I am.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I also trend towards the "Only accurate pistols are interesting" mindset with all else being equal.

Granted sometimes accuracy with a handgun is a strange thing. I find myself "interested" in guns like the Glock 26 which surely aren't as accurate as my Beretta 92 with the Langdon goodies and the red dot, but are far more accurate and easy to shoot than I'd expect.

The Glock 26 is as mechanically accurate as any Glock. Some would argue more accurate vs pre-Gen 5 Glocks due to the lock up and RSA. A G26 with a red dot is in my project list.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Institutionally the instructors at my agency were not Glockophiles, me being the senior curmudgeon. Years ago I was tasked with pre-training two youngsters who were headed for the state academy. One had a brand new G26 that he wanted to qual with for off duty carry. I told him he could have one try which he failed and started blaming the equipment.
    I took his gun, went prone and put a whole magazine thru the center of a TQ19’s head at 25 yards. Handed his gun back holding the locked back slide like the tail of a dead rat, “Practice, the gun isn’t the problem”. They both went on to have exemplary careers.

Most guns are more accurate than most shooters, but I’ve seen more Colt made Commanders that were kit-in-a-box guns than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Error is additive.

Some blasts from the past:

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    To expand a little on my previous post, I whipped up a couple of graphics in Excel. I just used a uniformly random distribution for both shooter's muzzle alignment and the gun's intrinsic accuracy. The 95% group was calculated using the STDEV.S function in Excel, and multiplying it to get 4 σs worth of distance (which I think is the correct way to do it?).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Images generated the same way I did the last batch:

Quote Originally Posted by GRV View Post
    At a glance Default.mp3's new images seem to corroborate what I was suggesting, which is that a better shooter will always see more benefit (both absolute and relative) with better equipment than a worse shooter.

His data is looking at what percentage of shots fall in a certain size area. I think that's a pretty good model, and that's basically what I was thinking about when I posted my numbers. However, the truth is that group shooting is a different beast. For good measure I've gone ahead and done some simulations.

Like Default.mp3, I'm assuming that the shooter and the gun are each responsible for a Gaussian distribution that's roughly a certain number of inches wide and that these two distributions add (statistical independence, which seems fair for internal gun modifications).

Where these plots diverge from his however is that I've imagined that each shooter shoots 1000 5-round groups. Each group is measured in the traditional way, by measuring the furthest distance between two points. Then I plot a histogram of the group sizes and statistics for them. Keep in mind, the average size of a 5-shot group is going to be quite different than say a 2-shot group or a 10-shot group for the same shooter.

Attachment 14875
    Attachment 14876
    Attachment 14877
    Attachment 14878
    Attachment 14879
    Attachment 14880

It's not worth paying too much attention to the exact numbers for shooter and barrel precision, they are not very meaningful on their own, and it's better to think of them as placeholders for "better shooter", "worse shooter", "better barrel", and so on.

Here are some abbreviated results comparing 2" barrel to 1" barrel average 5-shot group sizes for various shooters:
    3" shooter: 3.26" vs. 2.93" = 0.33" improvement (10%)
    2" shooter: 2.63" vs. 2.04" = 0.59" improvement (22%)
    1" shooter: 2.04" vs. 1.31" = 0.73" improvement (36%)
    0.5" shooter: 1.9" vs. 1.03" = 0.87" improvement (46%)

Again, this suggests the better shooter sees more improvement regardless of whether the shooters are better or worse than the equipment itself.

My code could be screwed up, and to be honest I defined shooter and barrel precision by a hand-calibrated confidence interval that could be totally bogus. That shouldn't really effect the conclusion. But, if people want to look for errors or experiment with different group sizes, numbers of trials, and parameters, here's the python code:

Code:
    import numpy as np
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    from scipy.spatial.distance import pdist

num_of_groups = 1000
    shots_per_group = 5
    shooter_precision = 0.5 # inches
    barrel_precision = 0 # inches

confidence_tuning = 0.3 # 0.3 -> precision = full-width-quarter-max

def cov(precision):
        return [[(confidence_tuning * precision)**2, 0], [0, (confidence_tuning * precision)**2]] 

def samples(precision):
        return np.random.multivariate_normal([0,0], cov(precision), shots_per_group)

def group_size(group):
        return np.amax(pdist(group))

def group_sizes(shooter_prec, barrel_prec):
        output = []
        for i in range(num_of_groups):
            group = np.add(samples(shooter_prec), samples(barrel_prec))
            output.append(group_size(group))
        return output

dataset = group_sizes(shooter_precision, barrel_precision)

# Plot results:

fig = plt.figure()
    fig.suptitle(str(shooter_precision)+'-inch Shooter with '+str(barrel_precision)+'-inch Barrel', fontsize=14, fontweight='bold')
    ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
    fig.subplots_adjust(top=0.85)
    ax.set_title(str(num_of_groups)+' '+str(shots_per_group)+'-shot groups\naverage group size: '+"{0:.2f}".format(np.average(dataset))+' inches, std. dev.: '+ "{0:.2f}".format(np.std(dataset))+" inches")

ax.set_xlabel('size (inches)')
    ax.set_ylabel('# of groups')

ax.hist(dataset, bins=np.linspace(0,11,22))
    plt.show()

If I wanted to do the actual theoretical math to verify this, which would let us remove the Gaussian assumption and get a parameter-independent result, I wouldn't be bored enough to be on PF.

But I agree with voodoo_man, it's all bullshit unless it adds up in meatspace. So, if SLG is willing to provide all the ammo, equipment, location, and and his time, I will gladly shoot 1000 5-round groups with him........for science!

ETA: The confidence interval was total BS. I retweaked it so that shooter and barrel precisions now correspond to full-width-quarter-maximum, which seems to correspond nicely to average 5-round group capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    My experiences with the M&P 1.0 generation of full sized 9mm's proved to me that there are guns with truly bad accuracy that make me look worse than I am.
    I had a few of the first Gen M&P 9s that had atrocious mechanical accuracy, circa 2009-2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List