Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grant Cunningham - Defensive Revolver Fundamentals, 2nd Edition

Grant Cunningham - Defensive Revolver Fundamentals, 2nd Edition

Grant Cunningham has updated his book Defensive Revolver Fundamentals with a 2nd Edition.
    Foreword by Massad Ayoob.

https://revolverguy.com/book-review-...ed/#more-10898

How is this one? His first book didn't seem like it was for people like us. It was for the inexperienced gun owner, which is fine. I am looking for some revolver books and considered this one but remembered that I personally didn't find a lot of utility in the first edition. Again, there's nothing wrong with the book. I'm just not the audience.

Site Supporter
    Based on the table of contents and what he listed he added I am not sure there would be too much difference from the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    How is this one? His first book didn't seem like it was for people like us. It was for the inexperienced gun owner, which is fine. I am looking for some revolver books and considered this one but remembered that I personally didn't find a lot of utility in the first edition. Again, there's nothing wrong with the book. I'm just not the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Based on the table of contents and what he listed he added I am not sure there would be too much difference from the first book.
    Thank you for the info.

Yeah, as a looooong-time wheelie guy myself, I can say that I was a bit underwhelmed with that book, given that I’m not really the target audience either.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I don't have Cunningham's defend yourself books, but I do have his Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. It may still be too elementary for many of you folks, but I really like it. He doesn't really cover anything about fighting. It's a book about revolvers. There's really good pictorial essays on his universal revolver reload, as well as on his alternative competition reload. He has a separate essay for the left-handed reload. He covers malfunction clearances and has a really great little flowchart of what to do if you have problems. He's got a long chapter one one-handed reloading, again with really useful pictorial essays. Good tips on fit, customization, etc. Some of the info is a little outdated at this point, and a lot of it is basic, like how to clean a revolver. But the chapters on malfunctions and reloads, to me, made it very worthwhile.

I'd be very interested in hearing ideas about good revolver books. I've got a short list of revolver books I really liked. I'll put it down in case anyone's interested. It starts with Cunningham's.
    Secrets of Double Action Shooting by Bob Nichols
    Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting (not entirely what it sounds like--it has some really good stuff that's still very applicable)
    Sixguns by Elmer Keith
    I'm on the fence about Ed Lovett's The Snubby Revolver. I liked it, and found it interesting, but it's not really a book that goes into a great deal of detail about shooting snubbies. It's more a general kind of defensive living book with a few tips on revolvers, and arguments why they were such useful guns back in the day.
    There are a few things available over at the Snub Gun Study Group page, including the book Snubby Chronicles. http://snubgunstudygroup.com/downloads.html These are collections of articles of lesser or greater interest to various readers.

Apart from some interesting older stuff like Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers, or Tracy's The Service Revolver and How to Use it, which I consider largely of historical interest, I haven't come across a lot of other solid revolver material. DeBethencourt's little pamphlet 38 Straight Tips is good, but very brief. I hope his promised books show up someday!

Edit: I also really like Ayoob's Stressfire. Though that isn't specifically a revolver book, it does have a lot of revolver-focused stuff in it.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I'll echo the appreciation of Cunningham's "Gun Digest Book of the Revolver."

Best, Jon

I ordered one primarily to give to a friend new to revolvers and defensive shooting.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

If anyone has Grant Cunningham's ear on a personal basis - can you convince him to write a book about gunsmithing Colt revolvers? Because the Kuhnhausen book is good, but Grant could really do it justice and bring it into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I don't have Cunningham's defend yourself books, but I do have his Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. It may still be too elementary for many of you folks, but I really like it. He doesn't really cover anything about fighting. It's a book about revolvers. There's really good pictorial essays on his universal revolver reload, as well as on his alternative competition reload. He has a separate essay for the left-handed reload. He covers malfunction clearances and has a really great little flowchart of what to do if you have problems. He's got a long chapter one one-handed reloading, again with really useful pictorial essays. Good tips on fit, customization, etc. Some of the info is a little outdated at this point, and a lot of it is basic, like how to clean a revolver. But the chapters on malfunctions and reloads, to me, made it very worthwhile.

I'd be very interested in hearing ideas about good revolver books. I've got a short list of revolver books I really liked. I'll put it down in case anyone's interested. It starts with Cunningham's.
    Secrets of Double Action Shooting by Bob Nichols
    Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting (not entirely what it sounds like--it has some really good stuff that's still very applicable)
    Sixguns by Elmer Keith
    I'm on the fence about Ed Lovett's The Snubby Revolver. I liked it, and found it interesting, but it's not really a book that goes into a great deal of detail about shooting snubbies. It's more a general kind of defensive living book with a few tips on revolvers, and arguments why they were such useful guns back in the day.
    There are a few things available over at the Snub Gun Study Group page, including the book Snubby Chronicles. http://snubgunstudygroup.com/downloads.html These are collections of articles of lesser or greater interest to various readers.

Apart from some interesting older stuff like Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers, or Tracy's The Service Revolver and How to Use it, which I consider largely of historical interest, I haven't come across a lot of other solid revolver material. DeBethencourt's little pamphlet 38 Straight Tips is good, but very brief. I hope his promised books show up someday!

Edit: I also really like Ayoob's Stressfire. Though that isn't specifically a revolver book, it does have a lot of revolver-focused stuff in it.
    Sadly, I think you've hit the wall.
    Nichols book is very good, both historically and practically. If you haven't yet, check out DB's post on Nichol's S&W Fitz Special tacked in the Revolver subforum.
    McGivern's book needs a modern re-editing to clean it up and place the illustrations adjacent to the relevant text.
    Tracy's book just goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun.

I would add Askins' Unrepentant Sinner. He is quite reviled in modern gun culture for his racism and murderousness, but I personally find his musteline bloody mindedness and storytelling rather quaintly amusing.

User Tag List