Thread: A Different Answer For Some Light .44s

A Different Answer For Some Light .44s

I wanted something with a little less recoil out of my 8 2/8 Model 29. I downloaded Magnums, the switched to Specials but these are the winner.

44 Russian with light loads of Bullseye that group under an inch at 25 from a rest and stay inside of 4 inches when I do my part standing freestyle.

The gun was converted by TK Custom for moon clips and is as fast to reload as my 625.

I only wish I could afford to shoot it more. For now it's my 617 with lots of .22s that I bought before the silly times.

Good plan. I wish Id gotten some Russian brass last year before it went on long term backorder.

Ive loaded 200 gr rnfp bullets in 44 spl, and a few round balls. Id like to mess with the round balls more, I think thy are 133 gr. The 200s or RB in the Russian case may be better yet, or some other light cast bullet. The old collar button bullets would be fun, but I dont know if anyone sells them. I think the molds have been out of production for a while.

Lost River had people fired up about Russians in 44s last year, thats probably where all the Starline brass went.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-into-a-45-ACP!
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Sent PM.

If AZShooter didn't sort you out with some Russian brass, shoot me pm.

Site Supporter
    Sorry to say, but @Lost River has been advocating the Russian rounds for a while....
    Lemme see if I can find the thread...

ETA: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....g-into-a-45-AC
    Thinking about.a .44 now...

And @Malamute beat me to it.

pat

I got rid of the Specials I had because anything over .38 aggravates my hand and elbow issues. If I ever get out of this "caliber consolidation/no new revolvers over .357" phase, a light Russian might scratch the .44 itch. Maybe even just a light roundball load.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Shot some of the Russian loads through my 629 Mountain Gun. Pleased to find the 200 gr full wadcutter over 5 gr of Unique shot to the same POI as my field loads (240 gr plated hollow point over 7.7 gr 231--which are still pretty pleasant to shoot). The 180 gr truncated lead over 5 gr of Unique shot quite low. They were even milder than the 200s but guess they were significantly faster to shoot that low. I am going to try some 240 gr Keith-style bullets in the Russian case. They don't group well from either .44 but maybe at slower velocity they'll behave. I ought to shoot these all off the bench to see how well they can do, maybe next trip.

Name:  IMG_6382.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_6384.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  39.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6383.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  38.2 KB

The little Russian case with its smaller capacity and a lighter bullet, such as a 175 grain truncated cone, or wadcutter is really a joy. Amazing accuracy and incredibly light recoil.

Filling the case with powder and getting a more uniform burn seems to really help when it comes to getting the most out of the loads when it comes to accuracy.

Site Supporter
    Just sayin'...

pat

User Tag List