Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Must Comfortable Shoes Be Ugly?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Why Must Comfortable Shoes Be Ugly?

I’ve tried for years to find a comfortable, effective set of grips for my M28. Hogue, Eagle, Pachmyr, Altamonts, Ahernds...I think I’ve tried them all. Some with surgery. Never quite “there”. Stock Magnas don’t work either. Too small. I have decent sized hands, but short fingers which for a big N frame is tough. I have passed on the idea of grip adapters from the start. I think they’re ugly and do nothing for the aesthetics of the gun. Nice checkered Targets?...beautiful but can’t shoot with them. I finally broke down and ordered up a BK adapter.

Wow.

Gun now seemingly fits my hand great. I’m able to work double action with ease and little if any sight movement. The only issue I see is perhaps the knuckle on my middle finger against the rear of the trigger guard. We’ll have to do some shooting with magnums to see that. I still think they’re ugly as sin. If they do work out, I will walk the woods with a sheepish look, hiding my stubby fingers...

Name:  E17D0C42-CB8A-4B04-9235-3F3E3CC83D07.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  74.4 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Damn. I didn't even see it at first.

I think it looks pretty nice. Maybe get some stag or elk magnas?

Have the same anatomical dilemma. Been using Tyler Ts and Magnas on Ks Ls and Ns since 1971. Only thing that I like better is the VZs. I did have a set of Herrett Ropers on a Redhawk that was a cool grip but that was long ago. Since 1971 the default grip has been and will be the Magnas and the Tyler T.

I do shoot well with them, that's why I use them.

Always a treat when you post up a photo of that nice Model 28.

I like the look of the Magna's with a Tyler-T or BK adapter and they work for me as well.

I prefer the Tyler-T product material and the history behind the company. Unfortunately, the current owner of the company has decided to follow the Smith & Wesson model of business fuckery, yet somehow both have managed to keep their doors open. But I digress...

You are in violation of the rules...
    The mention of "I will walk the woods with..." requires a photo of said woods walking holster, just sayin.

I don’t see what’s ugly.

I’ll take comfort over looks every time.

If you want to dress it up a bit, diamond walnuts would be a nice touch:

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Sitting on the bench and staring back at me, I’m starting to warm up to them a bit. I will know more this evening after a planned range visit. I just think they destroy the lines of the gun. However if they work....🤷. You’re NOT supposed to bend the tabs in around the frame at all correct?

I like the idea of stag horns. There is a guy on Fudd Forum that does some great work. I need to assure the Magna profile works for me before I drop a Benjamin and a Grant on a set of grips however.

The gratuitous woods pic will have to wait until work allows me to get to said woods...a few weeks out.

I’ve struggled in the same exact fashion with my .44 GP100. It shipped with the stippled Hogue monogrips. They are “ok” but not optimal. I’ve been searching for “optimal”. A set of full sized Lett’s are enroute if the USPS can figure out where my address is. Chigs shipped them nearly two weeks ago now. They just keep bouncing from one distribution center to another.

I love that pencil barrel 10. I really need one of those...
    Last edited by entropy; 08-31-2022 at 08:58 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I started my LEO career with a M28-2, purchased in early August of 1973 (we had to provide our own handguns). Your description of your hands fits my hands exactly. And like you, I tried every grip I could find back then, ending up with a Tyler T and the original Magna stocks the gun came with. When the M-28 started having mechanical problems (I had shot it a lot) I replaced it with a M-58 and I switched the T-grip to the 41 Mag.

Dave

Name:  CBF826E3-DAA3-40FF-82D4-A28D311C02BC.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  75.3 KB

I tried putting the Pachmayr grip adapter on with the elk stock, but they didn't want to fit. The T-Grips fit great with the elk stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    You’re NOT supposed to bend the tabs in around the frame at all correct?
    No bending necessary. Just held in place by friction and tension from the grips.

Shooting will be the acid test. I've had mixed results. In higher recoil guns the change in grasp with a grip adaptor makes perceived recoil in some worse, in some better. For me, and as a generality, I get mitigation with grip adaptors on K's and worsening on N's. Be interested in how it comes out for you.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List