Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leupold DeltaPoint Micro On Gen 3 Glock G19

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I was an early tester of these. As someone else said- it’s a whole lot of nope. Just no. I don’t know why Leupold wants to be “different” all the time, but “different” and “out of the box” from Leupy generally means hot garbage. Stick with a more traditional red dot.
    What specifically did you not like about it? If you could, please elaborate on your testing experiences with it.

Best, Jon

Even if the display was conducive to good shooting, who would want an optic that precluded AIWB use, retention holster and SCD use, only worked on two models of pistols, and protruded over the back of the slide preventing you from hitting high and riding down on the draw?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Even if the display was conducive to good shooting, who would want an optic that precluded AIWB use, retention holster and SCD use, only worked on two models of pistols, and protruded over the back of the slide preventing you from hitting high and riding down on the draw?
    I don’t think it’s going to perform better than even the most basic traditional RDS.

Can you explain your reasoning behind “precluded AIWB use?”

I’m not understanding that part?

Putting it on a Smith, the SCD isn’t an issue. Manual safeties on them for me.

I don’t think the draw interference is going to be an issue from AIWB (it could in a 3 o’clock holster).

I won’t know until I test, but it would be like “augmented irons.”

Basically slim, weather resistant enclosed emitter that could be pocket drawn.

That’s where the niche might be for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Um, ok. Let's see, for those of us not into appendix carry, not using a level 2/3 retention holster with a hood, and not using a SCD, there just might be a bit of appeal for the DPM.

In my personal situation, I've somehow withstood the siren song of appendix carry (especially appendix carry for a striker-fired pistol), and as good idea as an SCD may be, the number of LEOs authorized to use one on their Glocks is presumptively incredibly low, given the lack of administrative proclivity to authorize ANY non-OEM components on issue/authorized weapons. Out of the millions of Glocks out there, I suspect that the number with an SCD is probably between 1-5,000-perhaps Tom and Ernest can elaborate on sales, if they or anyone else knowledgeable on SCD sales figures to date can chip in.

I personally haven't had any issues with the DPM on draw or operational use, so I'm unfamiliar with the "hitting high and riding down on the draw" issue.

I'm not saying that the DPM is necessarily the greatest device invented since the wheel. I'm willing to give it an honest, objective trial, specifying what I do and don't like about it, so that we can all collectively perhaps have some useful information in our toolboxes, and judiciously choose accordingly. I'll politely reiterate that there may be a difference in perception of the DPMs efficacy when it's subject to actual use-and hopefully, I and others here can shed some empirical light on it in such actual use.

And I agree that there are probably some limitations to marketing with Leupold to date only making DPMs for Glocks and M&Ps; but on the other hand, looking at production numbers literally in the millions for those platforms, that's a pretty target-rich environment-particularly those wishing to cost-effectively going to an RDS without having to either buy another gun, or another slide, or to have an existing slide milled out. And using a DPM on either of the platforms will have an absolutely zero effect on warranty.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    What specifically did you not like about it? If you could, please elaborate on your testing experiences with it.

Best, Jon
    The window is absolutely tiny. Sure it sort of works standing flatfooted on the range. Try odd positions, around cover, VTAC barricades, etc. You’ll quickly find out it doesn’t work.

…“but it would be like “augmented irons.”- sounds great in theory. It doesn’t work like that in practice. I can index and locate my front sight in odd positions. Now put a black straw on top of your slide and try and find the front sight through the straw.

If the screen were about 3x bigger it might work. I would perhaps be willing to work around the other issues (blocking Safariland hoods, having to remove the very finely threaded battery cap and button every time I need to remove the slide).

It’s sadly just more Leupold junk that doesn’t really work. The Mark 5 scope line is the only thing they make worth a damn. I’m disappointed because I want to support an American company that does provide a significant discount to .mil/le, but nothing else they build is worth the hassle.

…“but it would be like “augmented irons.”- sounds great in theory. It doesn’t work like that in practice. I can index and locate my front sight in odd positions. Now put a black straw on top of your slide and try and find the front sight through the straw.
    This is where context of the skill of the shooter matters.

In an odd position, I’m unlikely to take a very difficult shot. Probably nothing farther than 10 yards.

I have shot red dot with dot off, no irons.
    I have shot SAS sights which are even less augmented than a DPM.

If we are talking about Glocks, you can hit pretty good accuracy just lining up the corner of the slides to 10 yards and past.

So I’m not seeing that as any worse than what I’ve shot with.

The ruler of that scenario is a laser anyway. And you can run a laser with this if you like.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is where context of the skill of the shooter matters.

In an odd position, I’m unlikely to take a very difficult shot. Probably nothing farther than 10 yards.

The ruler of that scenario is a laser anyway. And you can run a laser with this if you like.
    You can’t if you can only carry issued pistols, with no lasers allowed per policy.

If you’re going to use a laser, why bother with the dot at all?

Lastly- I’m not here to sell anything to anyone. If you like it, fine, I don’t care. I personally wouldn’t waste my money on it again. I think it says something that I don’t know of a single LE agency that issues these.

You can’t if you can only carry issued pistols, with no lasers allowed per policy.

If you’re going to use a laser, why bother with the dot at all?

Lastly- I’m not here to sell anything to anyone. If you like it, fine, I don’t care. I personally wouldn’t waste my money on it again. I think it says something that I don’t know of a single LE agency that issues these.
    I don’t think it’s even remotely appropriate for a duty gun.

That’s missing the point of the optic.

It’s like saying a Prius is a shitty car for towing a boat.

That’s not the point.

Nobody in their right mind would recommend this on a duty gun.

Regarding laser, many reasons to run an optic instead of a laser.

Most pistol lasers aren’t of sufficient quality to have adequate accuracy past 10 yards on small targets. Most are grip or frame mounted and most plastic fantastic guns have a lot of frame to slide slop.

The window is absolutely tiny. Sure it sort of works standing flatfooted on the range. Try odd positions, around cover, VTAC barricades, etc. You’ll quickly find out it doesn’t work.

If the screen were about 3x bigger it might work. I would perhaps be willing to work around the other issues (blocking Safariland hoods, having to remove the very finely threaded battery cap and button every time I need to remove the slide).

It’s sadly just more Leupold junk that doesn’t really work. The Mark 5 scope line is the only thing they make worth a damn. I’m disappointed because I want to support an American company that does provide a significant discount to .mil/le, but nothing else they build is worth the hassle.
    That's extremely helpful-thanks for specifying and sharing. So far (practices and 2X IDPA matches) the window size hasn't appeared (no pun intended...) to be a handicap, as I index pretty naturally with the G19, so as long as I have a decent grip acquisition on draw, things seem to pretty naturally fall into place without me having to hunt for the dot-seemingly less so for me than is the case with a "regular" RDS screen.

I'm looking forward to an intensive practice session where I'll comparatively use the DPM and the full-size Romeo RDS.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That's extremely helpful-thanks for specifying and sharing. So far (practices and 2X IDPA matches) the window size hasn't appeared (no pun intended...) to be a handicap, as I index pretty naturally with the G19, so as long as I have a decent grip acquisition on draw, things seem to pretty naturally fall into place without me having to hunt for the dot-seemingly less so for me than is the case with a "regular" RDS screen.

I'm looking forward to an intensive practice session where I'll comparatively use the DPM and the full-size Romeo RDS.

Best, Jon
    You might not notice the difference in index and dot finding, but you *should* notice it in recoil and transition entry if you’re going fast enough.

With 0.20 splits on an 8” target at 7 yards the difference should be apparent.

User Tag List