Thread: Slide milling boo-boo

Slide milling boo-boo

I got a G20 slide milled for a Holosun closed-emitter sight back from a vendor with a new dovetail cut so loose that an Ameriglo backup will literally drop right through it. The vendor and I are in general agreement that the slide will have to be replaced, but the ready availability of an exchange from Glock is uncertain. It occurs to me that there might be another rear sight profile for another make that could be knocked down a bit to fit. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    I got a G20 slide milled for a Holosun closed-emitter sight back from a vendor with a new dovetail cut so loose that an Ameriglo backup will literally drop right through it. The vendor and I are in general agreement that the slide will have to be replaced, but the ready availability of an exchange from Glock is uncertain. It occurs to me that there might be another rear sight profile for another make that could be knocked down a bit to fit. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?
    Check out these dovetail cutter dimensions:
    https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/120-...-cutter-nopix-

Glock taper is 0.250" x 74 deg, fortunately much narrower than most.
    https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/high...utter-hss.html

I would contact Dawson Precision, explain the problem, and ask them which rear taper you should use for a similar style "block" rear sight.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Check out these dovetail cutter dimensions:
    https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/120-...-cutter-nopix-

Glock taper is 0.250" x 74 deg, fortunately much narrower than most.
    https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/high...utter-hss.html

I would contact Dawson Precision, explain the problem, and ask them which rear taper you should use for a similar style "block" rear sight.
    I’ll second Dawson. I’d probably just call Dave and ask if I could send him my slide so he can fix it. And have the other gunsmith pay for it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ll second Dawson. I’d probably just call Dave and ask if I could send him my slide so he can fix it. And have the other gunsmith pay for it.
    Thanks, guys. I’ll check with them and report back.

I once had a gunsmith make a mental error and cut the wrong dovetail on a Hi-Power slide. He called me and told me the mistake and asked if he could weld it and recut. I said yes and he treated me very nice on the billing. Turned out fine. Surprised they didn't suggest that.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

JB weld? (Not kidding if they’re going to buy you a new slide anyway)

Could JB weld the Ameriglo to make it thicker and loctite the bottom.

My enthusiasm for putting either high heat or plastic goop into a handgun slide is low.

My enthusiasm for putting either high heat or plastic goop into a handgun slide is low.
    For a backup to RDS I wouldn’t be as hesitant.

I’ll buy your slide if you opt for replacement.

I have two G20 slides. One is Gen 3 and the other is Gen 4.

I’d be happy to trade you slides and your shop can mill for you.

My suggestion wasn’t to JB weld your slide.

It was to thicken a sight when off the gun so there’s more friction fit when you push it in later.

And a little blue loctite in the dovetail to add some extra reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    For a backup to RDS I wouldnÂ’t be as hesitant.

IÂ’ll buy your slide if you opt for replacement.

I have two G20 slides. One is Gen 3 and the other is Gen 4.

IÂ’d be happy to trade you slides and your shop can mill for you.

My suggestion wasnÂ’t to JB weld your slide.

It was to thicken a sight when off the gun so thereÂ’s more friction fit when you push it in later.

And a little blue loctite in the dovetail to add some extra reassurance.
    Gotcha. I didn’t think that you were suggesting that I glue the sight in; it’s just that I view JB weld as something available to fix my own non-critical screwups instead of a means to repair faulty work that I’ve paid and trusted someone to do. That’s a very generous offer. The slide is a Gen. 3 milled for a Holosun HE509 with the ACSS footprint. Let me check with the vendor to see what progress they’ve made finding a replacement and I’ll get back to you by close of business today.

Gotcha. I didn’t think that you were suggesting that I glue the sight in; it’s just that I view JB weld as something available to fix my own non-critical screwups instead of a means to repair faulty work that I’ve paid and trusted someone to do. That’s a very generous offer. The slide is a Gen. 3 milled for a Holosun HE509 with the ACSS footprint. Let me check with the vendor to see what progress they’ve made finding a replacement and I’ll get back to you by close of business today.
    It just so happens I own a 509 ACSS… so I’m super good with that.

User Tag List