Thread: Shotgun pitch for dynamic shooting

Site Supporter

Shotgun stock pitch for dynamic shooting

This video by a Finnish IPSC shotgun world champion popped up in my feed yesterday. In it he recommends running more pitch than standard on shotguns meant primarily for firing at level or below ground level targets. I don’t know if the full +20mm of pitch he needs will work for me, but after messing with my shotgun mount for a bit tonight I think some experimentation with some spacers might be worthwhile.

Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-29-2022 at 09:23 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't disagree.

The typical shotgun stock is set up for shooting birds. Shooting defensively (or in his case in action competition) is a different animal and requires a different setup. The stock length needs to be shorter, especially with a pump gun, to be able to run the gun where we'd like to run it more in the chest area than the traditional shoulder pocket. Altering the stock so that it is depositing force more into your pectoral muscles than into your shoulder joint while still allowing you to get a reliable cheek weld would be nice, too. Notice that he tends to drop his head significantly when he mounts the gun...which we would like to avoid.

But the ability to get a good cheek weld while loading recoil more toward the centerline of the chest below the collar bone would be great. A LOP of 12" or so tends to get closer to allowing this, and the Magpul SGA does a pretty good job of getting most of the way there.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List