Thread: For the PF Jiujitsu nerds

For the PF Jiujitsu nerds

If you’re a BJJ nerd like me and a PF user you’re likely interested in the self defense aspects of the art in addition to the practice of the sport.

Danaher is arguably the most influential coach in modern BJJ and is at the forefront of codifying the language of principles based jits.

I am glad to see him mention (around the 2:12 mark) self defense as a separate facet of jits in addition to MMA, gi, and nogi.

Between this and the recent Shivworks coursework at ATOS I’m hopeful we are heading in a more positive direction for the future of jiujitsu remaining a self defense art rather than becoming like Judo, sportive only.

The one social media post from the class at ATOS lent immediate credibility among the millennials and Zs at my gym to the “fringe” self defense aspect I’m known to be interested in and generated several comments and questions to me about how “cool” it is rather than the usual dismissive and disinterested responses. All from one single picture of Galvao endorsing Shivworks LOL.

Hopefully this trend continues

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    The one social media post from the class at ATOS lent immediate credibility among the millennials and Zs at my gym to the “fringe” self defense aspect I’m known to be interested in and generated several comments and questions to me about how “cool” it is rather than the usual dismissive and disinterested responses. All from one single picture of Galvao endorsing Shivworks LOL.

Hopefully this trend continues
    YES!

http://instagram.com/p/Cnzil2duvce/

I gotta be honest, I feel super cringe talking to the dudes at my BJJ gym about self defense/combatives stuff. So many people in that space are weaboos or fake tough guys peddling bullshit. Even the "Gracie Self Defense" stuff is... marginal. At least compared to "get good at sport jiu jitsu and wrestling." No one there has heard of Shivworks, so there's this whole "I know what you're thinking but these guys are actually legit!" aspect to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I gotta be honest, I feel super cringe talking to the dudes at my BJJ gym about self defense/combatives stuff. So many people in that space are weaboos or fake tough guys peddling bullshit. Even the "Gracie Self Defense" stuff is... marginal. At least compared to "get good at sport jiu jitsu and wrestling." No one there has heard of Shivworks, so there's this whole "I know what you're thinking but these guys are actually legit!" aspect to the conversation.
    I agree. I don’t mention is often anymore either for those same reasons. I hardly ever mention shooting either for various similar reasons.

Truthfully I don’t mention BJJ to muggles outside the gym either

Probably why I came here to post it for the other fringe weirdos like myself

Thanks for the video. I’m one of the rare dudes who doesn’t care about the sporting aspect of BJJ. Like, not at all! I train purely for self defense and fitness reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Thanks for the video. I’m one of the rare dudes who doesn’t care about the sporting aspect of BJJ. Like, not at all! I train purely for self defense and fitness reasons.
    The great thing about it IMO is that everyone can experience the journey their own way. BJJ has so many pathways and I enjoy hearing about others.

I like the Chris Hauter “train sport, think street, practice the art” idea. It just made sense to me.

Also a great thing about this place is that I find people to be more open minded and less dogmatic than other places on the net.

User Tag List