Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Light That Big-Ass Candle!

Site Supporter
    Liftoff at 6:45

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I enjoyed this. Figured I'd share it...

Artemis I – Pushing Farther Into Deep Space
    In the next nine and a half minutes, you’ll experience a twenty-five-and-a-half-day mission from roll-out to recovery of the first integrated flight test of NASA’s Orion spacecraft and the Space Launch System rocket, launching from the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This uncrewed mission will be the first in a planned series of Artemis missions beyond the Moon, signaling what astronauts who dare to operate in deep space will experience on future flights.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yeah, but where did it land? Jet landing of the booster stage, as developed by Space X, has been the first sign of the elementary expectations I have held since about the third grade.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Impressive picture from Artemis at the halfway point in the mission yesterday:
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...-max-distance/

There’s also a Flickr page with various NASA pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/

Name:  2529CB28-6691-4DAF-9EBC-A5EAEFACFA98.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  38.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Cannot recommend highly enough "The Real Right Stuff" on Disney+ (yeah. I know).

I was in Urgent Care yesterday, and the older security guard put it on the TV. Lots of previously unused footage, some narration by Tom Wolfe, The Space Race laid out. Even my 15 year old son, who was feeling less than his best was enthralled. Who knew (who didn't read the book) about the fued between Grissom and Glenn? The deft hand Glenn used to handle the media, and the sly humor of America's first astronauts?

I am only 2/3 the way through, since The Boy was called back to be seen, but man, it makes me swell with pride to be an American. My allergies acted up...

I was proud that when the Mercury 7 were announced that I recognized five of the seven names. And immediately embarrassed that I didn't know all seven. I bet my parents did, and would lay strong odds my grandparents did.

pat

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Cannot recommend highly enough "The Real Right Stuff" on Disney+ (yeah. I know).

I was in Urgent Care yesterday, and the older security guard put it on the TV. Lots of previously unused footage, some narration by Tom Wolfe, The Space Race laid out. Even my 15 year old son, who was feeling less than his best was enthralled. Who knew (who didn't read the book) about the fued between Grissom and Glenn? The deft hand Glenn used to handle the media, and the sly humor of America's first astronauts?

I am only 2/3 the way through, since The Boy was called back to be seen, but man, it makes me swell with pride to be an American. My allergies acted up...

I was proud that when the Mercury 7 were announced that I recognized five of the seven names. And immediately embarrassed that I didn't know all seven. I bet my parents did, and would lay strong odds my grandparents did.
    Gus Grissom was killed in the Apollo 1 fire 56 years ago, today.

I'm going to test my memory:

Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, John Glenn, Wally Schirra, Scott Carpenter, Gordo Cooper, Deke Slayton. I don't recall whether Schirra flew before Carpenter or afterwards. (Slayton didn't fly until the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1976.) I don't know if any of them are still with us.

(When I was a kid, I could name all of them, by mission, up through Apollo 17.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Gus Grissom was killed in the Apollo 1 fire 56 years ago, today.

I'm going to test my memory:

Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, John Glenn, Wally Schirra, Scott Carpenter, Gordo Cooper, Deke Slayton. I don't recall whether Schirra flew before Carpenter or afterwards. (Slayton didn't fly until the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1976.) I don't know if any of them are still with us.

(When I was a kid, I could name all of them, by mission, up through Apollo 17.)
    Remember Wally Shirrah hawking Actafed in the 80s?🤪

ETA;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJmuqyb7sSY

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-27-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Remember Wally Shirrah hawking Actafed in the 80s?🤪

ETA;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJmuqyb7sSY

pat
    I used to live on that stuff when I was a teenager into adulthood. Well pretty much until it became unobtainium. Feckking meth heads... Nothing works as good now.

User Tag List