Thread: Two-Factor Authentication

Two-Factor Authentication

Does p-f provide the option for Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for accounts? I checked in where I thought I could find this option, and didn't see it. If someone knows where I can enable this, please let me know.

If not, are there any plans to update the site to provide this feature? If not, why not?

Site Supporter
    Curious why 2FA would be worth the effort here @RJ

I certainly use it where available on financial sites and places that store credit card information.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

I certainly use it where available on financial sites and places that store credit card information.....
    I'm moving towards 2FA for all sites where possible, including social media, for privacy reasons.

It's possible I missed the option in the account settings, hence my question.

By the way, the @ function appears to be broken, still.

The @ function is working for me…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@RJ tagging test
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @RJ tagging test
    Not to get this further off topic, but no, the @ function (or at least mine) is not working consistently...as mentioned here last August.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ms-to-be-broke

I don't see much different, it works sometimes, sometimes not. You can see this in the above two posts. But I'm not too worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Not to get this further off topic, but no, the @ function (or at least mine) is not working consistently...as mentioned here last August.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ms-to-be-broke

I don't see much different, it works sometimes, sometimes not. You can see this in the above two posts. But I'm not too worried about it.
    Dude. It works fine. It just requires understanding of what it entails.

For your initials it requires a trailing space to activate the function.

So if I say @RJ adding a space afterwards will work but if I use a standalone…

@rj

Site Supporter
    The administrative overhead would be a bit insane.

From a licensing perspective / enrollment perspective. They’d need to use probably SMS-texting (that’s token based for DUO and included in subscription services with Microsoft Authenticator) and/or pushes via an application (such as DUO, OKTA, Microsoft Authenticator, etc. but that’d be licensed).

Legitimate businesses struggle with MFA enrollment - it’d be hard for a volunteer-admin staff to support it. There may be some cheap 3rd patty solution, but I think pretty much some corporations and financial organizations use MFA.

Plus Practically speaking from a security perspective if your password was compromised - your PM’s and ability to perform malicious posts are what’s at risk here if your account was compromised. All of that could be remediated with an email/PM/thread to the moderators. For your site supporter they forward you out to a store front to gather your financial data.

I just say that to give some security context that this would be a concerted effort (I’ve secured hospitals, corporations, .gov entities with MFA) that practically speaking secures information we’re already sharing on a public forum.

Not trying to poo-poo the idea but just help justify for the admin staff why this may not be a reasonable ask.
    God Bless,

Brandon

We don’t.
    #RESIST

User Tag List