Thread: Small tech question on DA/SA P30

Small tech question on DA/SA P30

Does it decock the hammer all the way down like Berettas, or to a half cock notch like SIG/CZ? I thought it was the former but I am not sure.

I handled an example of a TDA P30sk today with trigger so good that I thought the gun was out of spec... It took a lot of effort not to buy the gun right on a spot and I didn't examine it as carefully as I should have. I am mainly just curios, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to get it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I'm in bed and the P30s are downstairs in the safe, but I'm pretty sure they decock all the way down. The only one I've shot recently is LEM, which doesn't do anything to jog my memory on this point.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Half cock. Refer to #27 on this schematic. HK refers to this part as the hammer catch.

Name:  hk-p30-p30l-p30s-bench-mat-4.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  99.1 KB

The decocker and sear are a single piece. When you decock, the sear pivots, releasing the hammer, while the catch stays in place. The catch hits the face of the hammer, preventing full travel. When firing, pulling the trigger drops the hammer catch low enough that it rides within a notch in the hammer face, allowing full travel of the hammer. Here's an example of the notch in the hammer and the catch roughly aligned in the direction it would be in the gun (obviously not this far apart, it's two images).

Name:  209262_Z.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  22.7 KB Name:  209273-1200x1200.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  12.1 KB

I have a DA/SA HK USP and P2000. Both have decockers. Both have an interceptor notch which catches the hammer when decocked. On the USP one can easily see the face of the hammer is not touching the firing pin when decocked. On the P2000 the gap between the slide and hammer is much closer, making it difficult to see the relationship between the two. But when I look at the hammer from the fired position it was fully forward......I know I'm stating the obvious here. When I looked at the hammer when in the decocked position, it was not as fully forward when compared to the fired position of the hammer. Again, I am stating the obvious. Hope this helps when buying your new P30!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Both have decockers. Both have an interceptor notch which catches the hammer when decocked.
    Just to clarify so there's no confusion, that notch is not for the decocked state. When decocked, the hammer catch hits the hammer face just above that notch. The notch is there for when the trigger is pulled, the hammer catch rotates downwards several degrees enough that it can ride into the notch on the hammer and achieve full travel. The difference between decocked vs. firing is the depth of that notch from the hammer face.

I had taken a couple of pic but can't seem to get the picture sharing to work today
    Last edited by Irelander; 08-29-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

As stated, when decocked, the hammer rests on the catch. This is true for DA/SA, LEM, and DAO HKs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decocked
    Name:  PXL_20220829_164343708.MP~2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  46.7 KB

Fired
    Name:  PXL_20220829_164413141.MP~2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  46.7 KB
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Just a note, to get ahead of the who might be wondering, that the FP block would prevent firing on decocking should the hammer catch somehow magically fail in this system.

It's for all practical purposes the exact same system as in the USP, so well-proven.

User Tag List