Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something here on car payments?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I dunno about sensible automobiles, but there’s few things worse than making payments on a cat you hate!
    I hear you. I have a cat that yowls at all hours, constantly harasses his sister, randomly attacks doorframes, and won't stay off the counter.

Paying cash for a minivan in about a month. Going used and aiming for a 2015-2018.

Delayed purchasing for a long time. Wife is still driving her 2005 Subaru Forester (little tank btw) but with baby #3 on the way we needed it.

I’ll never have another car payment again. I have a 2016 paid of civic that I plan on driving until it blows up.

Edit. Reminds me of my grandfather who used to say “don’t look like you have money just have money”
    Last edited by Mercworx; 08-29-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

This is nothing new. I saw much the same in metro Atlanta in the mid-1990s. When I relocated there, I was in an apartment until I got the lay of the land and figured out where it made sense to buy a home. At the time, I was working for Ford and had a personal vehicle as having a company lease vehicle was a condition of my employment. I rarely drove it as I was driving company prototype and production vehicles, including RHD vehicles for export markets. I never drove the same vehicle for more than a single business day or weekend. So I had a lot of people at the apartment complex wanting to see what I was driving on a given day. A lot of those people drove vehicles with payments well above the apartment rent. I saw everything from Mercedes to TVRs.

I haven't had a vehicle payment since 2005 or so. I drive them for about 5 years, then pay cash + trade-in for a new one, period. If I don't have the cash, I don't get a new rig.

Site Supporter
    Those payments are insane. I cannot fathom trying to keep up with that. Says the man with a 15 year old Toyota Tundra with 200k. I don't envision another car for another 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I hear you. I have a cat that yowls at all hours, constantly harasses his sister, randomly attacks doorframes, and won't stay off the counter.
    Sometimes I hate Autocorrect!

(Unless you’re joking, you have a cat responding to something hostile in its environment or has medical issues. Except for the counter surfing. That’s just a cat being a cat.)
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Sometimes I hate Autocorrect!

(Unless you’re joking, you have a cat responding to something hostile in its environment or has medical issues. Except for the counter surfing. That’s just a cat being a cat.)
    So all if his short life, he will randomly streak through the house and "attack" a door frame. He goes up on hind legs and claws at it, or stands in it and loudly yowls at it. He's not clawing harshly, he doesn't leave serious scratches, just faint little ones in the surface finish. We're fairly clueless, and the vets haven't had any ideas either.

When I said "yowl at all hours", I was exaggerating, he's just very vocal. The other stuff is true. He often wants to play with his sister and she just wants to be left alone. There's frequently hissing involved on her part.

Site Supporter
    That video is like the adult version of the Tide-pod challenge.

It appears to be the dealership's way of normalizing extremely stupid debt.

Maybe in the post-covid economy where cars were appreciating in value it might work. But once that bubble bursts (it probably already has), it sure sucks to be upside down in a massive car loan that you can't afford.

I've been there, done that with a $7,000 dollar car in the 90's. It was bad enough then, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    Paying cash for a minivan in about a month. Going used and aiming for a 2015-2018.

Delayed purchasing for a long time. Wife is still driving her 2005 Subaru Forester (little tank btw) but with baby #3 on the way we needed it.

I’ll never have another car payment again. I have a 2016 paid of civic that I plan on driving until it blows up.

Edit. Reminds me of my grandfather who used to say “don’t look like you have money just have money”
    We got a minivan with baby number three. It is AWESOME. Totally the right move.

Vehicle prices right now make me legitimately angry. I need a truck at this point - a Tacoma would fit in my garage where an F150 won’t. New tacomas I’m looking at over $40K, and going back to 5 years they hardly lose value for whatever reason. I’d get a second gen but I’m unlucky enough that I won’t roll the dice on a frame issue.

So, that basically leaves me looking at used F-150s and again the prices make me angry right now. $25K for a 8 year old truck with 80,000 miles? Crazy.

But if the alternative is a car note that’s bigger than my mortgage, count me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    So all if his short life, he will randomly streak through the house and "attack" a door frame. He goes up on hind legs and claws at it, or stands in it and loudly yowls at it. He's not clawing harshly, he doesn't leave serious scratches, just faint little ones in the surface finish. We're fairly clueless, and the vets haven't had any ideas either.

When I said "yowl at all hours", I was exaggerating, he's just very vocal. The other stuff is true. He often wants to play with his sister and she just wants to be left alone. There's frequently hissing involved on her part.
    1) He’s a kitten and full of energy. Playing with your cat will burn off some of that energy. He’ll show down as he matures.
    2) Get some scratching posts and put double back sticky tape on the door frames. He should soon quit scratching the door frames and you be able to remove the tape.
    3) Don’t free feed your cat. Have set mealtimes.
    4) Get a couple of cat condos.
    5) Cats only meow to humans. I think your cat’s yowling is a type of meow and he wants your attention.
    6) Hands are not toys
    7) Play with your cat
    8) Play with your cat
    9) Play with your cat
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List