Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Am I missing something here on car payments?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've had a turbo gas Saab and a turbo diesel F-250 before. What did you find to be yuge tradeoffs?
    I've never had a turbo car but I had a 2500 Silverado. Used a lot of oil from day one. My Turbo sensors were replaced several times. The fact that it was diesel might have something to do with it but diesels need turbos for acceleration.

I was fortunate to know our agency garage supervisor. They maintained 900 vehicles and he ordered the parts. He said any engine that was turbocharged was going to be more expensive to maintain. My experience was the same as his. I don't work there anymore and neither does he, but I'm sure the garage is seeing some of this. They purchased a lot of Fords.

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...gine-problems/
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-04-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've never had a turbo car but I had a 2500 Silverado. Used a lot of oil from day one. My Turbo sensors were replaced several times. The fact that it was diesel might have something to do with it but diesels need turbos for acceleration.

I was fortunate to know our agency garage supervisor. They maintained 900 vehicles and he ordered the parts. He said any engine that was turbocharged was going to be more expensive to maintain. My experience was the same as his. I don't work there anymore and neither does he, but I'm sure the garage is seeing some of this. They purchased a lot of Fords.

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...gine-problems/

Oil consumption isn't really endemic to turbochargers. You may have gotten a bad one or a badly designed one, no idea as I don't follow GM trucks much, but that's not an indictment of turbos as a whole.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    But don't I need to forecast inflation into my projected portfolio size at the start of retirement?
    You can roll it into your assumptions when estimating your real rate of return. That way you can stick with today's dollars when thinking about future standard of living.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    First let me say that the PF of retirement planning/investing/etc is a site called bogleheads.org ... it's THE place to go for those topics.

Inflation is absolutely something retirees need to consider - for example, if you have a pension or annuity that isn't fully COLA'd, you need to carefully consider what happens if a late 70's/early 80's inflation bump comes along.

I'm just saying that the '4% rule' assumes you take 4% of the balance in year 1, and *increase that amount each year to match inflation*; the historic inflation is already baked in.

Here is a relevant page from the bogleheads wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Safe_withdrawal_rates
    Got it. I think that's what I'm doing. I take inflation into account during the accumulation phase of my plan, but the withdrawal phase portion is simply the 4% rule (or some corruption thereof). I was active on Bogleheads for a few years in the late 2000s. Some of the Wikis were online then, but I haven't looked at any of them in at least a decade. Thanks for the link. I read Bernstein's The Intelligent Asset Allocator prior to joining Bogleheads, which, I think, is what made me aware of that forum. If you haven't read that book, it's definitely worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    You can roll it into your assumptions when estimating your real rate of return. That way you can stick with today's dollars when thinking about future standard of living.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    First let me say that the PF of retirement planning/investing/etc is a site called bogleheads.org ... it's THE place to go for those topics.

Inflation is absolutely something retirees need to consider - for example, if you have a pension or annuity that isn't fully COLA'd, you need to carefully consider what happens if a late 70's/early 80's inflation bump comes along.

I'm just saying that the '4% rule' assumes you take 4% of the balance in year 1, and *increase that amount each year to match inflation*; the historic inflation is already baked in.

Here is a relevant page from the bogleheads wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Safe_withdrawal_rates
    Much wisdom here
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

User Tag List