Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Suck it, all you Timmies. Gamers rule.

It can be fun. A range here, pre-pandemic, had mano-a-mano steel plate matches with .22s. I almost always lost, but it was fun when I could beat a guy shooting a Ruger Mk.*.* with my six-shot K-22.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.
    Depends. Some can be quite good. There are lots of nitpicky rules in USPSA and IDPA, but only a few are really necessary for new shooters to be safe and (hopefully) avoid a DQ. The best classes streamline that part, and then focus on how to approach various types of stages and shooting challenges.

Crappy intro courses bombard you with every rule in the book, and leave new shooters feeling like they are back in history class in high school.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Depends. Some can be quite good. There are lots of nitpicky rules in USPSA and IDPA, but only a few are really necessary for new shooters to be safe and (hopefully) avoid a DQ. The best classes streamline that part, and then focus on how to approach various types of stages and shooting challenges.

Crappy intro courses bombard you with every rule in the book, and leave new shooters feeling like they are back in history class in high school.
    I'm a retired cop, CA POST Firearms Instructor and have taken classes in Basic SWAT, K9 handler, K9 evaluator, CQB Instructor, Urban Rifle Instructor, armorer on B92, Glocks, AR 15s, Sniper Rifle Gunsmith, OC/Chemical Agents Instructor, numerous less lethal impact instructor classes, and took multiple classes from ITTS, Yavapai Firearms Academy, LAV Tactical, EAG Tactical, Bennie Cooley, Magpul Dynamics, Presscheck Consulting, and even Tactical Response, (RIP Yeager).

BUT, and it's a big but, I'm not a competition guy. As an aside, I shot one non LE competition, it was an outlaw competition, my first and came in top ten. Everyone was congratulating me for my good performance. Problem was, I was a SWAT bubba at the time and I had a shoot-through that hit a non-shoot. In my mind, I was a complete failure. And, in the real world, I would have been. I've been interviewed by detectives after a shooting and watched as teammates waited to find out if their rounds struck innocents and were going to be possibly charged by the DA. Split times DON'T matter in the real world.

So, I will show up to my class, attempt to be a sponge and soak up as much info as possible and strive to be as humble a learner as I can and make new friends. I am sure I will have fun. I know I will not shoot as well as I would have when I was 25, or 35, but I was working and now I'm just trying to hone my skills and have some fun because I don't have to run towards the sh!t anymore.

So, even if the class sucks, it's better than spending a saturday on the couch and I have to do it to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by hickrev View Post
    If you’re shooting a match each week, even if it’s just the indoor one-stagers, you will definitely catch up to the top shooters very quickly, especially if you supplement with dry fire.

As a shameless plug, if you wind up getting more of an itch, the indoor range just across the state line from you has an excellent IDPA match one Sunday morning per month. It’s really helped keep my proficiency up ever since I had kids and my available range time dropped from “frequent” to “minimal at best”, hah!
    I might see you there!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Yes, Limted minor. I don’t foresee ever crushing the top guys, but i do foresee getting *a lot* better over the next year, doing this each week. Plus, I really like the people.
    This is exactly the point. I've been shooting idpa for 4-5 years. I am usually mid pack in the overall results. I am ecstatic if I get to the top 1/3. Our HD guns are either Beretta 92s or an AR so I shoot in SSP w/ a B92. A month ago I got a 92X Defensive so I could shoot in ESP and start cocked and locked. I am not going to though because our HD pistols are DA/SA. It is so much fun and I have learned so much it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.
    I had enough competition in my background that I didn’t have to do it. Look forward to hitting matches with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Honolulu Hidden Handgun Hoedown
    There's an album title if I've ever heard one. Preferably something Reverend Horton Heat-ish or outlaw country-ish.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

OMG. I ran last night’s fun shoot with a K-frame. #nogoingback

So long as I can keep stocking .38fmj, I’m doing this for life.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

OMG. I ran last night’s fun shoot with a K-frame. #nogoingback

So long as I can keep stocking .38fmj, I’m doing this for life.

Vids or it didn’t happen!!

User Tag List