Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

Site Supporter
    Loved the OP. I hear you on speed. I don't have it. My goal is to shoot the targets well and reasonably quickly and stroll between positions. Sigh. I'm enjoying the Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with the SRO, now that I have it set up well. In the last match, of 17 folks, I was 5 th in the number of A's. That's ok. In IDPA, I could usually be pretty close to the top in points down. I would have been better but for two mikes in the black for low shots. Cluster and I have discussed offset with RDS.

I haven't shot in a bit due to some family health things I have to take care of. I might shoot a steel challenge practice session with my Buckmark. I find that very relaxing.

I have to chuckle at some folks, one guy misses three shots as a closer in steel popper and rage quits. Did this twice. Chill out.

Old man yells at cloud - not worried about DA STREET as the counter strike for Bruen eliminates NYS carry. I am supposed to be happy that MD loosened up and HI issue one permit!!

Clint Smith on Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    , but my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).

OMG. You are old. I thought I was one of the few remaining dinosaurs that would even get that reference. Those articles on Paladin shoots were generally one of the first things I read when I grabbed a new issue of Combat Handguns.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Fun video - opens up the great debate of carry gear vs. game gear. I totally understand the folks who game out for the sport. Personally, I shoot from carry gear but that's just me. Would I carry my G17 SRO - well, I bought it as a game gun and to play RDS. I already had a Gen 4 with irons that I shot in TX IDPA and could carry with a 17 round mag Alternated with a G26 depending on dress floppiness. In NYS, probably wouldn't carry the 17s vs. 26 due to concealment concerns (now almost moot - cloud yelling, yet again). I put BUIS on the SRO gun as it might be a fighting gun and wanted the backup if the optics failed. I had backups on all my optics long arms. Folks told me to ditch the backups on the SRO gun because for competition they are in the way but my great friend and grand master Karl Rehn advised the BUIS for the reasons I mentioned.

I know some other old farts who shoot USPSA for the trigger, SD practice with gun running emphasis. Whatever works - enjoy.

We shot the Honolulu Hidden Handgun Hoedown on Saturday.
    "This is NOT IDPA, this is NOT USPSA."
    https://brocksgap.com/index.php?src=...dgun%20Hoedown

Scoring was "neutralized" with two AB hits or not, +5 sec for FTN.
    Contrary to the program, targets were not close, ranges from 5 to 50 yards, frequently in a "sea of no-shoots."

Protege 1 had trouble on the long shots with my loaner G43, but way better off than in a 90+ round match with her usual LCP or 642.
    Protege 2 has surpassed me and won the match with his Shield Plus but says he will shoot his short XD with better sights next year.
    I was gratified to break into the top half of the standings with a revolver, M67.

Interesting, this was mostly a separate group in that club, not a whole lot of overlap with IDPA or USPSA. They shoot wacky two and three gun matches most of their dates.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    OMG. You are old. I thought I was one of the few remaining dinosaurs that would even get that reference. Those articles on Paladin shoots were generally one of the first things I read when I grabbed a new issue of Combat Handguns.
    Somewhere I have a file folder where I saved those articles when I purged the magazines from the house

I squeaked into the top 10 out of 42 stage runs yesterday, limited. Mostly by hammering the speed, running a G17, and accepting some Charlies as a matter of course. Progress—although I am still light years behind the top 3 shooters. The ringers at this range are quite good.

I’m still hooked.

HAGWE, gang.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I squeaked into the top 10 out of 42 stage runs yesterday, limited. Mostly by hammering the speed, running a G17, and accepting some Charlies as a matter of course. Progress—although I am still light years behind the top 3 shooters. The ringers at this range are quite good.

I’m still hooked.

HAGWE, gang.
    Excellent! Are you shooting Lim minor? If so, that’s a significant handicap.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Excellent! Are you shooting Lim minor? If so, that’s a significant handicap.
    Yes, Limted minor. I don’t foresee ever crushing the top guys, but i do foresee getting *a lot* better over the next year, doing this each week. Plus, I really like the people.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

If you’re shooting a match each week, even if it’s just the indoor one-stagers, you will definitely catch up to the top shooters very quickly, especially if you supplement with dry fire.

As a shameless plug, if you wind up getting more of an itch, the indoor range just across the state line from you has an excellent IDPA match one Sunday morning per month. It’s really helped keep my proficiency up ever since I had kids and my available range time dropped from “frequent” to “minimal at best”, hah!

User Tag List