Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

I’ve taken a pile of cool-guy (sort of, if revolvers, knives, and grappling is actually “cool”) classes in the last 3 decades, but my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).

So, maybe a year ago, I mentioned mentoring a new, young shooter who works in the service industry, and closes brewpubs at night alone (imagine that: “Totem” in a brew pub… but I digress…) who was taking to the shooting arts like a P-F mod to beer, with her new G42 (her choice, from the Totem bag of evil).

A year later, the shoe is on the other foot, and yesterday she brow beat me into doing my first IDPA-type “fun shoot.”

Alas, poor Timmy, I knew thee well.

I’m hooked.

The good news: at every taping up, the RO kept calling—in a moderately surprised tone, considering that I was running a G42 in solidarity, “Aplha, Alpha… another two Aplhas… an Alpha and one Charlie…” No misses, no no-shoots on white, no Deltas. I can get hits on what I aim at.

The bad news: glaciers in the Pleistocene move faster than I do—and that goes quadruple, given the 3 mandatory reloads when running 6-round mags.

That said, I still beat some guys with RDS who punched no-shoots, and nobody made fun of either of us.

The best part: this is just what I needed to reignite the “passion of the gun.”

Looks like it will be a busy work year, with something to look forward to *every* Thursday night.

That is all.

Suck it, all you Timmies. Gamers rule.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@Totem Polar

I am JCN and I approve this message.

I am also sorry that you will soon be kilt on the streetz.

Gaming is a great way to meet nice people and get that competitive buzz going.

It can be pretty addictive as a fun hobby!
    Last edited by JCN; 08-26-2022 at 06:25 PM.

I have zero interest in IDPA, given how my carry style was illegal for so long, and also my gun simply isn't legal in any IDPA division.

USPSA, on the other hand, has significantly helped my pistol shooting. I had taken a decent number of tactical/defensive pistol classes before, and had shot Steel Challenge a fair bit, so my accuracy was very high from the very beginning, but my speed was also very slow, placing me at ~30% of the top shooters' scores (and we have world class GMs at my local matches). Today, I still am almost always in the top 3 in number of A's in the overall match (in fact, I'm regularly the one with the most), but am now at 50% of the top scores at worst on my bad days, and can often break 60%, despite still shooting in Timmy gear (retention holster on a war belt or else from concealment) and having zero practice.

Competition can be extremely fun if you just let it be just that: fun.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-26-2022 at 06:26 PM.

It's been a long loooooong time since I shot any USPSA matches, or even the weekday "practices" the range I used to frequent put on. I spent too many years on nights and weekends at work.

I've been distracted this year by a variety of BS... but I do have weekends off again for the first time in a long time. At least attempting to get back into the game is on my list for next year (if not this fall, after my elk hunt is over). I will be honest: I haven't even fired my carry gun in over two months. I was on a hot streak last spring, with nearly weekly trips to 25 yard B-8 hell (aka my local indoor range), but I slacked off when summer arrived and SHTF.

No reason you can't have fun, even if you're slow.

I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.
    Do people feel that intro to competition classes are really worth a shit? I've only seen glimpses of one that was held at my range by Fieldcraft, and it looked like ass. I'm of the opinion to just show up and get into it (show up and just shadow a match or two without shooting if you really wanna be cautious), but I'm curious if anyone else feels differently.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Totem Polar

I am JCN and I approve this message.

I am also sorry that you will soon be kilt on the streetz.

Gaming is a great way to meet nice people and get that competitive buzz going.

It can be pretty addictive as a fun hobby!
    I’m pretty sure I got kilt both coming and going from work today.

As to nice people, damn, if everyone wasn’t just super-friendly and helpful. A very good experience.

Of course, I also ran into a good buddy of mine that’s done, what, 2 ECQCs and co-hosted Cecil Burch IAJJ with me, so there’s just no getting away from those damn Timmies. He wailed on that course, too. He’s with local LE, and their crew throws the last run of the night by only allowing head box As for any target behind a no-shoot. Low score in the cadre buys the first round afterwards. I got a pass because of the mousegun.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Do people feel that intro to competition classes are really worth a shit? I've only seen glimpses of one that was held at my range by Fieldcraft, and it looked like ass. I'm of the opinion to just show up and get into it (show up and just shadow a match or two without shooting if you really wanna be cautious), but I'm curious if anyone else feels differently.
    Not an option. If I want to shoot at this gun club, I have to take the class. I don't make the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    That’s what I did, just show up. In fact, we get quite a few newbies out for their first time. Either they come with a friend who already shoots USPSA/IDPA or they heard about us somehow and decided to show up. We’ve even had a few friends come with to ‘just watch’ who sometimes end up shooting a stage or three after ‘watching’.

But my club has hosted an intro to competition shooting. Thinking it may be time to do one again this fall. We also do a range day once a year where we showcase a USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge stage for the general membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).
    Dude I started with 2700 bullseye (as exciting as watching grass grow) and then pins....you have been missing it, the modern action shooting sports are so much more fun. Like I told Stephanie in some thread around here after she first tried it, after my first USPSA and IDPA matches back in the 90's I felt like my momma was gonna whip me when I got home for running and playing with guns....

You don't gotta win to have fun at these games. That plus I like hanging out with 95% of these people and it is one of the few gatherings where I know I am never going to have to listen to some liberal yaking his or her politics at me. They ain't ever there.

User Tag List