Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition, DB and kids for carry

This should probably be obvious, but:
    If I'm popping off rounds with my kid in a carrier, shit is real bad.
    The first priority is to not play stupid games, avoid conflict, and de-esecalate in any way possible.
    My kid is essentially a human shield for me when she's in the carrier. Any conflict is a bad idea as she'll be taking the first blows.

For HD I agree suppressors are a good idea for everyone. You aren't really making any compromises. For carry I would not advocate for an insufficient caliber. If I'm shooting someone with my daughter next to me there is a laundry list of severe consequences for her/us that I'm more concerned about than her hearing.

Site Supporter
    I agree if I am with my kid, the first priority is getting the hell out of there. I recall Mas telling a story about an off duty cop who saw a gang fight, supposedly put his kid in a safe place and went to intervene. Kid took a round, if I have this correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Haha, carrying that in a diaper bag - it better be a purpose designed, holster built in diaper bag.
    The way around that is to use a CCW bag as a diaper bag. There are a lot of purse holster options that add structure to an otherwise floppy bag.

Name:  A7580EC8-2E70-4F9B-9A06-78A9B679EFDA.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  99.5 KB

The combination isn’t much longer than a G34…

As to the revolver technique, I don’t use it but just as an illustration of modification of known techniques.

I don’t like that technique for myself personally because it compromises shooting mechanics and if I need to be shooting, that’s my focus.

I personally went for Bluetooth headphones with 23 dB NRR.

For the kid I would push them behind me if I they were older. And shield and turn like @03RN said above for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    My kid is essentially a human shield for me when she's in the carrier.
    The flip side is also true though.

If you’re running to GTFO of a bad situation you’re the human shield for the kid.

Add armor to the rear of the carrier or backpack and the kid is in about as good shape as they can be.

My setup was usually to buy time while I ran with the kid. Whether it’s a soft plate in the stroller or what have you.

Ive seen a few mentions in this thread(and the other) of guns in bags.

DONT DO IT

If you are leaving loaded guns in bags around your kid and other kids you are putting everyone in danger around you. There is no excuse. It needs to be locked up or on your body.

DONT DO IT

If you are leaving loaded guns in bags around your kid and other kids you are putting everyone in danger around you. There is no excuse. It needs to be locked up or on your body.
    I think blanket statements are not helpful. I would say use extreme caution and judgement rather than don't do it. I say that because not all children are wired the same and my children see weapons for what they are and they have been taught from a very young age they can handle any of mine so long as they ask first and I am present to assure their safety. They are literally of zero interest to them 99.9999% because they've had it drilled into them from such a young age and both of them are under 8 years old. They understand how they work and function and there's no mystery there anymore. Curiousity is what gets most children into trouble I'd wager, take that away because there's nothing left to wonder about and they are just boring objects/tools.

DONT DO IT

Two things:

The diaper bag can remain on body.
    Unattended guns anywhere are no bueno.

When I diaper bag carried, I used a Magna trigger revolver specifically for that reason, recommended by Mas.

For an added layer of safety but I never let it be off my body.

Two things:
    1) Diaper bags aren't on body when you are using them. If you are changing a diaper or outfit.

2) Your kids might be the anomaly and wouldn't play with a gun(but that's one hell of a wager and probably BS). The problem is other kids. If you have kids you'll find yourself around other kids. If you have a diaper bag it's because you are out away from home in an environment you don't control.

If you have a loaded firearm not under your direct control you are putting everyone at extreme risk. Lock it up or keep it on your body.

ETA: The Magna trigger is an interesting solution and looks like it would mitigate the risk if it works as intended and is reliable.

ETA: The Magna trigger is an interesting solution and looks like it would mitigate the risk if it works as intended and is reliable.
    It’s reliable enough for what it buys in risk mitigation (for our family) and was also used for my wife’s carry in case she were disarmed to reduce the chance of it being used against her.

I first heard about it in one of Mas’ books.

Two things:
    1) Diaper bags aren't on body when you are using them. If you are changing a diaper or outfit.

2) Your kids might be the anomaly and wouldn't play with a gun(but that's one hell of a wager and probably BS). The problem is other kids. If you have kids you'll find yourself around other kids. If you have a diaper bag it's because you are out away from home in an environment you don't control.

If you have a loaded firearm not under your direct control you are putting everyone at extreme risk. Lock it up or keep it on your body.

My kids are 100% in my care and have been with them every minute of every day since birth, I work from home and home school them, so they may be the anomaly. They do not interact with other children (please spare me the 'socialization' BS, they won't shut up all day long lol). I trust them implicitly not to handle them without me present and will risk my freedom on that. I give my oldest access to cutlery which she keeps by her bedside in her bedroom in case someone breaks in and I do not arise to handle it. She treats them as lifesaving tools and feels unsafe without it around.

Everyone has to assess what their situation entails but my point is blanket statements are not something I make a habit of making.

User Tag List