Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to ccw with new baby - move from AIWB to behind the hip?

Best way to ccw with new baby - move from AIWB to behind the hip?

My standard carry is G19 MOS w/optics in JM AIWB holster. However, now that I'm a new dad, I have found that that combo is a little brutal. I'm constantly carrying my son and bending over and picking him up. The slide is digging into my stomach all the time if I have the size of the wedge (and belt tightness) I need to conceal it. I'm trying to figure out a solution and not sure what to do. Maybe carrying a smaller gun in the same position will be a slightly better as I can use less wedge and a loser belt and still be able to conceal? Maybe go IWB but behind the hip though I have never carried this way. I do have a g43 but for some reason, in my mind I want more gun. Maybe I need one of those semi-single stacked guns?

For someone who is constantly bending over, playing on floor, and doing new dad stuff - what am I missing? What is the best way to carry? What holsters and guns do you like? Looking for opinions! Thanks.

I have a 14mo daughter. AIWB is the only way. Bending over with IWB always prints like crazy, or worse your shirt rides up and gets behind the gun.

I'll either carry a G19 MOS or G43 in a JMCK holster. No foam.

Try adjusting your holster height, and maybe position relative to centerline.

Body type also plays a huge role. You might find 10lbs less body fat dramatically improves comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    My standard carry is G19 MOS w/optics in JM AIWB holster. However, now that I'm a new dad, I have found that that combo is a little brutal. I'm constantly carrying my son and bending over and picking him up. The slide is digging into my stomach all the time if I have the size of the wedge (and belt tightness) I need to conceal it. I'm trying to figure out a solution and not sure what to do. Maybe carrying a smaller gun in the same position will be a slightly better as I can use less wedge and a loser belt and still be able to conceal? Maybe go IWB but behind the hip though I have never carried this way. I do have a g43 but for some reason, in my mind I want more gun. Maybe I need one of those semi-single stacked guns?

For someone who is constantly bending over, playing on floor, and doing new dad stuff - what am I missing? What is the best way to carry? What holsters and guns do you like? Looking for opinions! Thanks.
    Congrats on the kiddo!

When I had my daughter I increased retention on my holster to absolutely make sure the gun wouldn’t get loose or fall out. There are some holsters that require a twist to release which also adds some margin.

I personally also carried a gun with a safety.

And with a baby, I had a revolver in the diaper bag with a Magna trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I have a 14mo daughter. AIWB is the only way. Bending over with IWB always prints like crazy, or worse your shirt rides up and gets behind the gun.

I'll either carry a G19 MOS or G43 in a JMCK holster. No foam.

Try adjusting your holster height, and maybe position relative to centerline.

Body type also plays a huge role. You might find 10lbs less body fat dramatically improves comfort.
    No foam? ---hmmm might need to think what I'm doing wrong. I'm rather slender 32/33 waist. Been using tenicor belt but it gives zero concealability if no foam. Might need to go back to Aegis. What belt are you using?

Sew a holster on the inside of a Baby Bjorn (between the baby and you).

MP5K in the diaper bag.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Congrats on the kiddo!

When I had my daughter I increased retention on my holster to absolutely make sure the gun wouldn’t get loose or fall out. There are some holsters that require a twist to release which also adds some margin.

I personally also carried a gun with a safety.

And with a baby, I had a revolver in the diaper bag with a Magna trigger.
    Thank you! I'll definitely make sure my tension on any of the holsters are tighter.

Congrats

I much prefer aiwb with kids except when carrying on a chest carrier. I like aiwb for backpacking too although when it's hot I'll carry at 3oclock due to sweat.

One of my favorite reasons for appendix is that it's comfortable all the time. Playing on the floor, bending over, strapping them in their car seats, etc. Maybe just play around with the details of your current rig. Add a pad, different belt maybe
    Name:  1533958836628475688062-636776_JPG-940180.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20211129_103623.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  101.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220816_102853.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  74.9 KB

I have always done aiwb while out and about, and 3-4 o clock while at home and having to bend over to pick up balls/toys, play, wrestle. Have done so with a g45, g17, current carry for a while has been a g19

All respect.

If you find yourself drawing aiwb with baby in hand - there are massive issues with the overall home security layers/ scenario that a change in carry position will not fix.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post

Sounds like you are answering your own question. AiWB CAN be inconvenient and uncomfortable at times. It also provides more postural control (is that an actual phrase?) over thr gun. My circumstances may not be yours, but DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

pat

User Tag List