Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ccw with new baby - move from AIWB to behind the hip?

Four kids, appendix 100% of the time. Fast draw, easy control over the gun in the holster, and can quickly look down and see if little hands are where they shouldn't be. Biggest issue is when kids give me a hug and knock their head off it if they forget. If you need your gun, you kid also needs you to use that gun. They will forgive the ringing ears.

When they are older don't lie to them about, I think telling your kids why you carry a gun is important. My kids know why and not to tell other people.

Site Supporter
    I did not change my carry position when we had kids. IWB at 3:30 (belt buckle is 12:00) or front pocket carry worked without issues.

I like the 3:30 position because it does not print as much when bending at the waist, compared to further back. I prefer that the holster sit as low as possible without compromising my firing grip. 10 degree cant works well for me, but I have used 0 to 15 degrees with good results, depending on the gun. Zero degrees was with a Glock 26.

Strapping kids in car seats, as well as taking them out, created much of the need for bending at the waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I carried AIWB with 92 while my kid was really young. He's 5 now.

It won't be comfortable every moment. That's life. If you really deep dive on the tweaks you make it can be comfortable most of the time. Tying my shoes still sucks.

Check out phlsters concealment guides. They might help. Try no wedge and adjusting your belt tension.

Enjoy the ride.

Site Supporter
    My daughter will be 9 months old in a few days! I was an appendix WML carrier before her, Beretta 92, Glock, M&P all with dots over the last 5 years. Since she was born, a PX4 Compact Carry with no light and irons and a DA pull in a JM AIWB has been great. Way more comfortable for bending and playing on the floor with my very active girl. She's crawling and sitting now so I spend less time like sitting holding her in church etc than I did initially.

I get the arguments for it, but I don't carry at home.

For the next one, with all that time sitting and holding the baby out and about in the early days, I'll honestly probably go with Rhett's Enigma deep carry method. Kinda takes maneuvering the baby around the gun off the table.

Congrats!! It's amazing.

https://youtu.be/lqREMKaPBF0
    Last edited by Noah; 08-27-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I have a 14mo daughter. AIWB is the only way. Bending over with IWB always prints like crazy, or worse your shirt rides up and gets behind the gun.

I'll either carry a G19 MOS or G43 in a JMCK holster. No foam.

Try adjusting your holster height, and maybe position relative to centerline.

Body type also plays a huge role. You might find 10lbs less body fat dramatically improves comfort.
    +1 to all this. Kids were the reason I initially switched to appendix. Any thing behind 3:00 had me readjusting, pulling my shirt back down, and kept me from feeling as in control of retention as appendix.

OP, first of all, congratulations! Secondly, thanks for calling 32-33 waist slender. As I get older, I don’t feel slender! My best compromise solution would be trying a small gun for this season. For me, it was from a P229 or steel 5in 1911 to a P938 which is now my summer carry.

I have a 14mo daughter. AIWB is the only way. Bending over with IWB always prints like crazy, or worse your shirt rides up and gets behind the gun.

I'll either carry a G19 MOS or G43 in a JMCK holster. No foam.

Try adjusting your holster height, and maybe position relative to centerline.

Body type also plays a huge role. You might find 10lbs less body fat dramatically improves comfort.

Same for me. I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old (yes same woman lol).

AIWB is still my go to. Though I have switched to a Sit P365X and find it is far more comfortable when bending over or on all fours playing.

I’ve gained some weight and recently started taking it off. A few years ago I had lost 80lbs and holy cow did that make a difference. Not sure what your build is but AIWB was a breeze then though I didn’t have kids.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

A G43 is much more comfortable than a G19+MRDS for all 5hings kid related. Weight, thickness, and grip length all matter.

I'm tempted to get a P365 to find a middle ground between the 2 options.

Site Supporter
    A G43 is much more comfortable than a G19+MRDS for all 5hings kid related. Weight, thickness, and grip length all matter.

I'm tempted to get a P365 to find a middle ground between the 2 options.
    Since getting my P365, that is what I carry 95%-98% of the time. With 10 round flat base pad magazines, it is a game changer for pocket carry. With 12 round magazines, it splits the difference between a G19 and G26 while being thinner than both for IWB carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    My daughter will be 9 months old in a few days! I was an appendix WML carrier before her, Beretta 92, Glock, M&P all with dots over the last 5 years. Since she was born, a PX4 Compact Carry with no light and irons and a DA pull in a JM AIWB has been great. Way more comfortable for bending and playing on the floor with my very active girl. She's crawling and sitting now so I spend less time like sitting holding her in church etc than I did initially.

I get the arguments for it, but I don't carry at home.

For the next one, with all that time sitting and holding the baby out and about in the early days, I'll honestly probably go with Rhett's Enigma deep carry method. Kinda takes maneuvering the baby around the gun off the table.

Congrats!! It's amazing.

https://youtu.be/lqREMKaPBF0

I get the arguments for it, but I don't carry at home

Fully concur.

Baby stage doesn’t last long. Put your pistol on a high shelf in the Kydex, play with your kid and have fun/worry less

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I get the arguments for it, but I don't carry at home

Fully concur.

Baby stage doesn’t last long. Put your pistol on a high shelf in the Kydex, play with your kid and have fun/worry less
    I can't worry less than 0
    Name:  IMG_20220522_105537.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  26.9 KB

User Tag List